Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
6 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

had some on the thursday at school, how much is the deepest snow recorded in Manchester City Centre in the last 40 years, seems to me its impossible to get any more than 6 inches and thats exceptionally rare.

I've reminisced about snowfall in March 1987 before. Trying to remember a particular event during the school week. Could well have been the Wednesday or Thursday event described. I always thought it was mid March though. Wish I had kept a weather diary in them days. I distinctly remember snow cover in the morning and a snowball fight with penpals from a school in Preston who came to visit our school in Windermere. I remember the kids from Preston being told off! Also remember a visit to a local farm in the snow. Happy memories! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,
12 hours ago, Bald Eagle said:

Morning all..I've just seen some models posted for 865hrs hours away or something like that..is this a record?? Asking for a friend.

I did glance over those too. If it's for 7th February and the seasonal forecasts are anything to go by, it *could* happen.

But it's a LONG way to go yet. The models can't even handle the high pressure for later next week never mind beyond then. The models can barely handle a few days away these days. 

Either way I think something is brewing. There is still all that cold air over Scandinavia which is struggling to be moved on eastwards.

If we don't have a memorable cold spell by the end of February I will eat my hat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

November and December came and went and I think I experienced 3 cold days. A bit of snow for some, fell in November. There might be some tomorrow, but apart from that, it has been bleak, and doesn't look any better going forward, if prolonged cold and snow is your thing. I think winters in the UK are becoming a pointless gloom fest, roll on the summer with BBQs and daylight up to 10pm.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms and sunshine
8 hours ago, sukayuonsensnow said:

I did glance over those too. If it's for 7th February and the seasonal forecasts are anything to go by, it *could* happen.

If we don't have a memorable cold spell by the end of February I will eat my hat.

Would you like salt, pepper and side salad with that?

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
16 hours ago, Beanz said:

If it was one individual coin toss without a preceding event or series of events, then you’d be correct. But there’s a series  of events that the statement relates to, so the odds are based on that fact.  

You’re in the next village to me, meet in the Yew and debate over a beer?

No they're not!  

Mate, read it again! 

"If you've just flipped five heads, the odds of the next coin being heads is still evens". 

Of course it is! The odds of getting six in a row are as you state, no issue. The odds of the statemented coin toss, as posted by the author, is evens. 

See you in the YT! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,
1 hour ago, Louthweather said:

Would you like salt, pepper and side salad with that?

Well I might as well get my hat seasoned ready, assuming I'm not walking in falling snow with it

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and Snowy Days

Another clear and crisp sunny day. -2 to start the day with widespread frost. 2 days in a row. For what we've had so far, I'd bank and take it! 

• Like 1

Posted
On 31/12/2021 at 04:58, jules216 said:

Finally a vindication where CZ is mild and Eastern Slovakia cold. Since last 2 and a half winter months jan21/feb21/ and 1/2 half of dec21 the cold just stopped Across the border in Poland and Czech rep. Where they had great spell of cold and Snow and here nothing. But finally a change and we have snowy spell and cold in Eastern Slovakia in the same time as Czech have mild weather. The result is the snowiest Christmas in a long tíme here. Even now I am hanging on to freezing temperature where everywhere else is mild.

How did you end up in slovakia if you dont mind me asking? Beaut of a country mind!

Posted

Another snowy day here this winter. 6 days of snow on the ground since November and 4 days of snow falling. Not too bad considering the generally mild winter so far

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Beautiful winter’s day here, sunny but with a very fresh breeze, maximum temperature of 1°C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
On 05/01/2022 at 16:35, Weather-history said:

I reckon if we were currently going through the severest winter since '63, some people will still just post about COVID on this site......

Wow! been locked for 2 hours great! those members been inactive for 2 hours!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

It’s getting to the point where a frost becomes an ‘event’

Absolutely dire….

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, winterfreak said:

Absolutely dire….

Yep. This season is quickly becoming a disappointment for most  wonderful looking model runs but alas amounting to very little. Luckily myself and a few have seen snowfall. Most have had nothing  and with solar output kicking in  the next few years could be just as grim  

Posted
8 hours ago, Staffmoorlands said:

Another snowy day here this winter. 6 days of snow on the ground since November and 4 days of snow falling. Not too bad considering the generally mild winter so far

Any photos? 

EDIT - just seen a photo of yours in the regional thread! 

Edited by Don

Posted

Its just been a pretty meh winter overall so far, nothing too interesting, though at least we did get this warmth briefly for a few days which whilst I appreicate is not to any coldies tastes, at least was something noteworthy for the record books.

Otherwise its just been a really uninsprising winter with not much to really excite in terms of any active weather of any sort.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Its just been a pretty meh winter overall so far, nothing too interesting, though at least we did get this warmth briefly for a few days which whilst I appreicate is not to any coldies tastes, at least was something noteworthy for the record books.

Otherwise its just been a really uninsprising winter with not much to really excite in terms of any active weather of any sort.

Definitely meh, I miss those winters where the water butt is frozen solid right through for days on end and can't get a fork in the ground. 

Saving a bit on fuel bills though I guess lol

• Like 1

Posted

Not seen a single flake down here. Maybe i blinked and missed one at some point.

The last week has settled (hmm) into cold rain, grey, dull.

Cant wait for an early Spring with unseasonably warm temps and sun by mid-February...please, oh weather gods

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Not seen a single flake down here. Maybe i blinked and missed one at some point.

Cant wait for an early Spring with unseasonably warm temps and sun by mid-February...please, oh weather gods

Can't disagree with wanting Spring! January seems Spring is close, where as 31st Dec seems its far away

much preferred new years day weather to todays, 15 degrees over 3 degrees, as not seen a flake since 28th Nov

Posted
15 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

If we could get a repeat of Feb 2019 that would be outstanding, geniunely felt warm at times AND sunshine. Such a rare combination in the UK winter.

Whilst I'm all for the cold stuff, that was an awesome spell of weather.

The problem with mild in the UK in winter is its nearly always associated with huge amounts of cloud and quite often wet/drizzly stuff as well.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

To date, it has been a fairly standard British winter. Generally cool or mild with the odd cold day and a light snowfall added into the mix.

A rather forgettable winter so far.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
11 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

To date, it has been a fairly standard British winter. Generally cool or mild with the odd cold day and a light snowfall added into the mix.

A rather forgettable winter so far.

Standard mix but not temperatures.  I am running almost 3 deg above average to date!

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, winterfreak said:

Absolutely dire….

Frost is the new snow!

My kids often thing frost IS snow!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
On 06/01/2022 at 21:38, Climate Man said:

Standard mix but not temperatures.  I am running almost 3 deg average to date!

True. New Year's Day felt particularly warm and was the warmest on record.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
28 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Frost is the new snow!

My kids often thing frost IS snow!

My kids the same lol 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Happy Orthodox/Old Christmas to you all. After some warm days here we look to be heading towards more seasonal temperatures with perhaps some light snowfall at the weekend. Perfect weather for a weekend stay at a village in the north of Moldova. Should see -6 overnight. 

• Like 3