Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.
9 hours ago, Don said:

Either way a very poor outlook for cold/snow seekers for February and probably March!  Another winter down the pan! 

Indeed.

I was in hospital for a few days earlier in the week and didn’t even look at the models for a few days.

When I got home, no difference whatsoever.

As others have said, I gave up too when the predicted Christmas cold spell disappeared virtually overnight.

I thought that was a bad sign. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.
14 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Don't know why it's called the full snow moon but there is one on the 16th Feb. Pencil in the date for snow! Haha! 

“The moon and weather may change together, but a change in the moon doesn’t mean a change in the weather”.

Or something like that.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Peter H said:

Indeed.

I was in hospital for a few days earlier in the week and didn’t even look at the models for a few days.

When I got home, no difference whatsoever.

As others have said, I gave up too when the predicted Christmas cold spell disappeared virtually overnight.

I thought that was a bad sign. 

Yes always say Christmas is the time when the northern hemisphere base state often locks in.

More unusual behaviour around then I.e. anything cyclonic, or with northerly blocking, diving low pressure can suggest the atmosphere not your usual westerly airstream. Alas the swing to a blow dry SW airstream was a bad omen I felt! 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Peter H said:

“The moon and weather may change together, but a change in the moon doesn’t mean a change in the weather”.

Or something like that.

Oh well I just like the name snow moon! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
Just now, damianslaw said:

Oh well I just like the name snow moon! 

It must of been the 10 day models that named it, and then at 48h....its a name *watered down moon*

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
6 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Yes always say Christmas is the time when the northern hemisphere base state often locks in.

More unusual behaviour around then I.e. anything cyclonic, or with northerly blocking, diving low pressure can suggest the atmosphere not your usual westerly airstream. Alas the swing to a blow dry SW airstream was a bad omen I felt! 

I agree,

When that huge Iberian High developed after Christmas leading to record High temperatures I thought oh dear, never a good sign.

After that the chances of a proper easterly developing were zero but I did think we could get some cold zonality.

Alas even that has gone now and I suspect February will be more of the same.

Dreadful, thank God I am flying to Spain today for 3 months, under the High the weather there is very nice.

Andy

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

Anyone up for another chase but as we head towards march, you just know we'll start seeing charts we could only dream of in mid winter!

gh500_20220130_00_384.jpg

3 hours ago, NewEra21 said:

Anyone up for another chase but as we head towards march, you just know we'll start seeing charts we could only dream of in mid winter!

That's just noise at two weeks out! Literally random.

When you see a grouping of ensembles at days 10 to 14 then you can take note...

I hope this current pattern of weather lasts until next year, which it might with luck.

It’s another cracking winters day, turning out to be the most usable winter in years. Certainly down here since September each month has contained long dry spells and January is no exception. Think all of us would take a climate with the same amount of rain but it falling on far fewer days. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, Alderc said:

It’s another cracking winters day, turning out to be the most usable winter in years. Certainly down here since September each month has contained long dry spells and January is no exception. Think all of us would take a climate with the same amount of rain but it falling on far fewer days. 

Apart from Storm Arwen and Corrie the weather hasn't hit the deadlines in recent months to add to the many other woes in the headlines so for once we can't say the weather is adding to make anything worse.

Probably a good thing the weather has taken a back seat recently. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny, extremes either side (hot and cold), Thunder Storms

A nice sunny morning today, as i am sitting here the sun is shining through the window and is starting to feel strong now. 

After this rather uninteresting winter i am really looking forward to spring now.

Posted
48 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Are you willing to be quoted on this if we get one or two wet cool days in summer!?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

I am moving to the lake district during the next month ... trust me the wintry weather has been awaiting my arrival. Late February and March are going to be epic ... wooohoo 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I must admit, I am starting to get bored of this rather uneventful winter now. Apart from a few frosts and those lovely cold blue sky days earlier this month, nothing remotely interesting has happened since the beginning of winter. Storm Corrie hasn't reached my neck of the woods. 

I appreciate that some don't like the rain, but I would very much welcome a proper rainy day right now. Snow, wind, rain anything. I just want something different.

Only consolation is that at least it hasn't been unseasonably mild most of the time.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Are you willing to be quoted on this if we get one or two wet cool days in summer!?

Yes, even in the driest and warmest summers and even in the south there are days that struggle to reach 17 or 18C with rain and cloud. Doesn’t mean they are welcomed though and doesn’t mean they those few cool days couldn’t ruin your plans….

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

What a bloody awful winter this had been , nothing really wintry in the forecast and even in the Scottish Ski resort  not enough snow and prolonged cold to get the season started in earnest , bloody awful 

Posted
7 hours ago, NewEra21 said:

We saw them in midwinter too! Even delightful channel lows! They just didn't materalise!

Posted
50 minutes ago, johncam said:

What a bloody awful winter this had been , nothing really wintry in the forecast and even in the Scottish Ski resort  not enough snow and prolonged cold to get the season started in earnest , bloody awful 

Freezing Spring, Awful summer, non existent Autumn, horrific winter. It never ends ...

Posted

Lovely and warm in our conservatory today which is very unusual for January. Looking like 15c by Tuesday

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
7 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Freezing Spring, Awful summer, non existent Autumn, horrific winter. It never ends ...

That sums it up perfectly

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Penrith Snow said:

I agree,

When that huge Iberian High developed after Christmas leading to record High temperatures I thought oh dear, never a good sign.

After that the chances of a proper easterly developing were zero but I did think we could get some cold zonality.

Alas even that has gone now and I suspect February will be more of the same.

Dreadful, thank God I am flying to Spain today for 3 months, under the High the weather there is very nice.

Andy

Yes this winter so far, unless a colder pattern develops in February, which at the moment there looks to be little prospect of, is likely to go down as a winter where there has been a fair amount of high pressure areas close to the UK, and at times to the west and sometimes even the north, but the pattern has just never come together to do the UK any favours from a cold perspective.  This winter was basically written off from being anything special last September, as it is clear that it is very rare to get a cold winter after a really warm September, and winter 2021-22 was already dead in the water last September, and testing the warm September theory leading to a winter is poor for cold.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, jimben said:

I am moving to the lake district during the next month ... trust me the wintry weather has been awaiting my arrival. Late February and March are going to be epic ... wooohoo 

Good time of year to move to the Lake District. Days are lengthening and we enter what I call our dry season which lasts until roughly mid June.. Or should I say drier season when westerly airstreams tend to have a harder time of holding fort, easterlies and northerlies can bring excellent spring weather here. Alas the winter so far has been relatively dry especially January and the autumn overall was dry apart from a brief spell late October. I hope I haven't jinxed things and your move coincides to a change to wetter conditions! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
2 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I must admit, I am starting to get bored of this rather uneventful winter now. Apart from a few frosts and those lovely cold blue sky days earlier this month, nothing remotely interesting has happened since the beginning of winter. Storm Corrie hasn't reached my neck of the woods. 

I appreciate that some don't like the rain, but I would very much welcome a proper rainy day right now. Snow, wind, rain anything. I just want something different.

Only consolation is that at least it hasn't been unseasonably mild most of the time.

I’ve been bored of it for a while now. I guess it’s down to the fact that for here at least this borefest of a winter has followed what was almost a complete borefest for the whole of last year. Even a bit of wind and rain would be classed as interesting compared to what I’ve seen over most of the last 12 months. 

1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

We saw them in midwinter too! Even delightful channel lows! They just didn't materalise!

They probably will in March when they’re no good to a lot of us and just delay any potential warmth  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, jimben said:

I hope you’re right. Threlkeld, where I assume you’re moving to, is often the dividing line between the largely snowless west of Cumbria and the sometimes snowy central Cumbria. The far east Alston area of Cumbria is where you should’ve looked if it’s regular snow you’re after though. 

• Like 1