Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
2 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Most other places haven’t been let down.  Record cold, record snow records tumbling and tumbling ….except our little sector 

BFTP

Seems to have been the case in recent years - significant cold every where but here, but we did see something late Feb 18/early March 18 shows the dice can sometimes fall in our favour.

• Like 1

Posted

It sounds like we can stop scraping cars from tomorrow. Nights have been cold in the Vale of York.

Here's Topcliffe's (alt. 25m) extremes since the colder nights started. Maybe just 3 days out of 23 there without scraping car windows at dawn? Leeming (alt. 40m) would be maybe 4 days without scraping. (Links to data below.)

01/26  8.6 -4.6

01/25  5.0 -4.0

01/24  6.2  3.2

01/23  8.4 -3.7

01/22  8.7 -5.1

01/21  7.2 -5.9

01/20  9.5 -0.6

01/19  9.1  0.7

01/18  9.5 -4.8

01/17  6.5 -4.4

01/16  3.6 -1.4

01/15  7.5 -2.2

01/14 10.6 -3.7

01/13 10.8  0.7

01/12  9.8   -3.7

01/11  7.8    3.4

01/10  7.6    3.6

01/09  7.7    0.2

01/08  5.9   -4.2

01/07  4.7    0.6

01/06  5.1   -8.0

01/05  4.4    1.2

01/04 10.2  -1.4

WWW.OGIMET.COM
WWW.OGIMET.COM

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
4 hours ago, Don said:

It is already for some parts of the south!

i spent 2 winters back in the UK 14-15 & 15-16 the only snow i witnessed falling was literally a 5 min shower on the last Sunday morning of November 2014..i mean for me that was a result ..but for you guys i can only imagine the grating of teeth

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

yea its a real shame

At least it's some consolation that other places are getting very cold weather, rather than everywhere being ridiculously mild/warm.  Goes to show that we will still get cold weather at times!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
11 hours ago, James1979 said:

After nearly 35 years I gave up having weather as a hobby last year, thered been simply too much of a change to nothingness imby and it's a pointless frustrating hobby for someone that loved the variety or used to get.  This winter has verified that decision. Utter borefest with zero action and another season of the perma grey lid. Another summer ahead of next to no storms awaits no doubt.  The climate in SE England is atrocious now. 

We used to get far more proper storms, really powerful gales here in northern England that would keep you awake with all the roaring and it would rip out the odd tree around here but the last couple of years have been unusually quiet on that front. 

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Seems to have been the case in recent years - significant cold every where but here, but we did see something late Feb 18/early March 18 shows the dice can sometimes fall in our favour.

Saw that with 2009-10, whilst NW Europe was having their coldest winter for about 30 years, Canada were having their warmest  for decades. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 hours ago, Don said:

At least it's some consolation that other places are getting very cold weather, rather than everywhere being ridiculously mild/warm.  Goes to show that we will still get cold weather at times!

All have different thoughts, I'd rather it was warmer everywhere, always say 'consolation' if other countries are mild/snowless as well as us

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Shocking start to a Winters day, so mild its very unseasonal, very unpleasant to say the least

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Another beautiful day here in Sheffield. Cool, crisp and sunny like most of the month - best January in years!

• Like 1

Posted

Isn't it strange. The climate change/global warming brigade used to go on about how much wetter and stormier these islands would become due to a much more powerful Atlantic. Recent years its been practically dead for months on end. I suppose if you name every 'storm' it adds to the non existant drama. Just saying.  

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Isn't it strange. The climate change/global warming brigade used to go on about how much wetter and stormier these islands would become due to a much more powerful Atlantic. Recent years its been practically dead for months on end. I suppose if you name every 'storm' it adds to the non existant drama. Just saying.  

Same as people who thought we would get killer heatwaves, and they don't happen.

We have a few days or a week of 30-35c weather in some summers, and the rest of the time its a bland cloudy 21-23c.

2020 had some nice weather, with that long dry sunny spring and early summer, but the main summers since 2019 have been hit and miss.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
22 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Same as people who thought we would get killer heatwaves, and they don't happen.

We have a few days or a week of 30-35c weather in some summers, and the rest of the time its a bland cloudy 21-23c.

2020 had some nice weather, with that long dry sunny spring and early summer, but the main summers since 2019 have been hit and miss.

And what about all those nutters who thought that new high-temperature records would way outstrip new lows; or that lowland snowfalls would become rarer with time. Were they all wrong?

Posted
12 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

We used to get far more proper storms, really powerful gales here in northern England that would keep you awake with all the roaring and it would rip out the odd tree around here but the last couple of years have been unusually quiet on that front. 

Storm Arwen was quite exceptional! 

• Like 3

Posted
8 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

All have different thoughts, I'd rather it was warmer everywhere, always say 'consolation' if other countries are mild/snowless as well as us

Yes I totally get where you're coming from.  However, if other places are experiencing very cold weather and snowfall, it makes me think that sooner or later, us in the UK will hit the jackpot!  When that will be is another matter though!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Winter thus far has so far been a lot like 06/15, slotting in the middle (06 was frostier).

You will be glad to know that the analogue set for February is if anything more blocked.

Posted
6 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Winter thus far has so far been a lot like 06/15, slotting in the middle (06 was frostier).

You will be glad to know that the analogue set for February is if anything more blocked.

Do you mean winters 05-06 and 14-15? 

Some similarities with 05-06 which was an exceptionally blocked winter, mid Atlantic heights which ridged far enough north on occasion to deliver something colder and at times wintry.. as you say by late winter these affected far enough north to pull in a bitter northerly, then easterly in March.

14-15 mmm that was quite different, Atlantic had upper hand with jet often NW-SE aligned. Second half Jan and early Feb brought repeated polar NW attacks.. I can see your logic yes it has been a bit of a half way of both..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Storm Arwen was quite exceptional! 

Just the one though. Still unusually quiet. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

This month has had echoes of 1991 and 1992 for about 10 days at mid month, but now it's turned into something resembling January 1989 with the return of extreme mild temperatures.

Bring back the frosts we had earlier in the month! What does it take to produce a colder than average January? They really are very rare these days (just as warm sunny Augusts are rare, only 2013 and 2016 could even slightly qualify for that in the past 15 years or so), and as for snow in January, well you have to take a holiday to Athens to see that.  Since 1988, we've only had three years with proper January snow, namely 1994 (short-duration but at least a good cover), 2010 and 2013. 

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
17 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i spent 2 winters back in the UK 14-15 & 15-16 the only snow i witnessed falling was literally a 5 min shower on the last Sunday morning of November 2014..i mean for me that was a result ..but for you guys i can only imagine the grating of teeth

15-16 was exceedingly mild, dull and wet. We've had a very poor run of winters recently, with extreme mildness and/or very wet conditions featuring in several examples (13-14, 15-16 and 19-20). 14-15 was better though, drier, brighter with closer to average temps, though little or no snow.

At least we've been spared the wet (mostly) with this one I guess.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted

Looks like another back-end Winter again.Thats ok,even here near coast we have had decent snow cover upto Mid-march.

Posted
32 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Looks like another back-end Winter again.Thats ok,even here near coast we have had decent snow cover upto Mid-march.

Mind you, can't see much evidence of a back-end winter on the Met Office forecast, which just suggests mild and cloudy for much of February. GFS 06Z seems to show a northerly plunge in a week's time, but no sign of that on the Met Office forecast.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer8906 said:

This month has had echoes of 1991 and 1992 for about 10 days at mid month, but now it's turned into something resembling January 1989 with the return of extreme mild temperatures.

Bring back the frosts we had earlier in the month! What does it take to produce a colder than average January? They really are very rare these days (just as warm sunny Augusts are rare, only 2013 and 2016 could even slightly qualify for that in the past 15 years or so), and as for snow in January, well you have to take a holiday to Athens to see that.  Since 1988, we've only had three years with proper January snow, namely 1994 (short-duration but at least a good cover), 2010 and 2013. 

I wouldn't class this January as mild, as it's been cold for the most part in the south. Only the first 2 days were very mild and only now has it returned to daytime double figures. 'Extreme mild' is a slight exaggeration.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I wouldn't class this January as mild, as it's been cold for the most part in the south. Only the first 2 days were very mild and only now has it returned to daytime double figures. 'Extreme mild' is a slight exaggeration.

I was thinking of the next few days where we're seeing 10-12C maxima which was similar to 1989, ok maybe 'extreme' was a bit OTT I will admit (maybe a bit of a rant after seeing the forecast!), but still perhaps 4 or 5 degrees above the norm for the time of year.

By contrast, 4 or 5 degrees below the norm in January (around 2 or 3C maxima) for several days in succession is incredibly rare these days.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Snow meets the sea. Greek Islands earlier this week.  Reminds me on my days in Worthing ( March 21013 , I think )

C

272627215_1546338255721908_4227345370870908405_n.jpg

• Like 4