IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

I don't include fog. 

The  index for this winter is about 19 at the moment 

19 ?

Jesus it's another late 80s wipeout this winter is.

Hopefully a 3 month freeze starting in  November 2022

Posted
27 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

19 ?

Jesus it's another late 80s wipeout this winter is.

Hopefully a 3 month freeze starting in  November 2022

Its low ranking bit overall up to this point winters 13-14, 15-16 and 19-20 far worse for relentless wind rain and mild. 

Posted

Met Office 10 day forecast suggests no snow for the UK and generally above average temperatures throughout.

Meanwhile over the pond, they are preparing for a North'easter and 1 foot of snow

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
11 minutes ago, Staffmoorlands said:

Met Office 10 day forecast suggests no snow for the UK and generally above average temperatures throughout.

Meanwhile over the pond, they are preparing for a North'easter and 1 foot of snow

Let me know when we are having those above average temps, it's been about 5-7C every day with almost endless cloud!

• Like 1

Posted

Up until now, winter 21/22 has been a nothing type of winter. Despite this, it's not been mild or very mild. In fact, the mildest period was between the 30th December 2021, until 2nd January 2022, which produced the very mild spell of 14-16c. Before and since then even more so, I class this winter as fairly chilly. It's by no means severe, but like others have mentioned, it's been noticeably on the cold side, with many daytime temps ranging between 3-8c, with very few days of the 11-13c variety.

Much prefer this current spell as opposed to boring wind and rain. At least its usable and seasonal, despite the lack of snowfall. I just hope the dullness doesn't spill into the better part of the year, mainly between May and August, which would be a kick in the teeth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
9 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Up until now, winter 21/22 has been a nothing type of winter. Despite this, it's not been mild or very mild. In fact, the mildest period was between the 30th December 2021, until 2nd January 2022, which produced the very mild spell of 14-16c. Before and since then even more so, I class this winter as fairly chilly. It's by no means severe, but like others have mentioned, it's been noticeably on the cold side, with many daytime temps ranging between 3-8c, with very few days of the 11-13c variety.

Much prefer this current spell as opposed to boring wind and rain. At least its usable and seasonal, despite the lack of snowfall. I just hope the dullness doesn't spill into the better part of the year, mainly between May and August, which would be a kick in the teeth.

Again you are only talking about  your location so you cannot generalize, up here January and most of December have been mild cloudy and damp,  awful 

Posted

The U.K. is obviously having a pretty horrific winter so far for coldies, but it’s not just us as Western Alps can’t of had fresh snow for weeks upon weeks neither, with the location of the HP.

The METOs mid to end of Feb is now pretty confidently mild, therefore is an SSW the only thing that’ll swing it I wonder, and even that looks unlikely!!

Baring in mind where I live, this is pretty much it for the winter so far - and I think at my altitude I should be averaging snow falling 25 days a year!! That’s not good!!
I mean, it could snow every day in March I guess!! 

BA969C48-6F2C-4E42-AE02-E85FEF94BEFB.jpeg

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Westerlies of some kind all the way from 0-384 on GFS, more chance of Spring arriving early, than a cold blast during 1st half of Feb

Dud I would expect. Not seeing a single snow flake in southern Britain during winter could become the norm!

Edited by DCee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, DCee said:

Dud I would expect. Not seeing a single snow flake in southern Britain during winter could become the norm!

Aye, can agree with that, saw a decent amount on 27th-28th Nov here, so not snowless winter

Posted
22 minutes ago, Catacol said:

It may well be that 2021/22 goes into the pile, containing around 80% of our winters, where a sheet labelled "disappointing" is clipped to the top. Of course....one man's offal is another man's steak....and if you live in Athens and enjoy snow games you will have a somewhat different view! We need to be realistic ultimately and accept that most years will result in disappointment. And of the pile containing the other 20% of winters few of them have more than a week or so of lowland snow. There are one or two exceptions like 2010....but even the "classic" spells such as Jan 87 were short. 1947 and 1963 look complete outliers compared to the patterns we have to deal with now in a climate changed world.

Think you’ve missed a fair few other winters with long cold spells, both ends of 2010 were extended cold spells and many early 80’s winters had long snowy spells, and not forgetting 1978/79.

Posted
23 minutes ago, Catacol said:

It may well be that 2021/22 goes into the pile, containing around 80% of our winters, where a sheet labelled "disappointing" is clipped to the top. Of course....one man's offal is another man's steak....and if you live in Athens and enjoy snow games you will have a somewhat different view! We need to be realistic ultimately and accept that most years will result in disappointment. And of the pile containing the other 20% of winters few of them have more than a week or so of lowland snow. There are one or two exceptions like 2010....but even the "classic" spells such as Jan 87 were short. 1947 and 1963 look complete outliers compared to the patterns we have to deal with now in a climate changed world.

Yes never expect much from a cold snow perspective and you won't be too disappointed. Good things happen when least expected or when distracted I feel, sudden surprises and it's this that keeps me locked to viewing the models.. there will always be a surprise or two.. Storm Arwen a big case in point! That was one odd event in a sea of quietness..

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
30 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

The U.K. is obviously having a pretty horrific winter so far for coldies, but it’s not just us as Western Alps can’t of had fresh snow for weeks upon weeks neither, with the location of the HP.

The METOs mid to end of Feb is now pretty confidently mild, therefore is an SSW the only thing that’ll swing it I wonder, and even that looks unlikely!!

Baring in mind where I live, this is pretty much it for the winter so far - and I think at my altitude I should be averaging snow falling 25 days a year!! That’s not good!!
I mean, it could snow every day in March I guess!! 

BA969C48-6F2C-4E42-AE02-E85FEF94BEFB.jpeg

Yes from a cold perspective the met office outlook couldnt be worse:

"Through this period, the weather is likely to start off wetter than of late, with blustery showers in the north and cloudy with rain in the south, before clearing away through the day on Monday to leave brighter conditions. Cloudy and dry weather is then possible to return for most at the end of January, while it is likely to be wet and windy in the northwest at times, with wintry showers possible over high ground in Scotland. Moving into February, the largely settled and cloudy weather is likely to remain for most, with some rain and wind in the far northwest at times. Overall, temperatures are likely to be near or milder than average through this period, although some brief colder than average spells in the north are possible."

I can handle milder conditions with a bit of weather and, most importantly at least a bit of sun...but settled and cloudy weather??. Perhaps good for working in outside which i do but from a "Sad" perspective of which i suffer not good at all. Still at least days will be getting longer so more hours of cloud.....

• Like 3

Posted

Although the outlook is generally mild it’s not looking particularly wet especially in the south. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I have found this winter so far not particularly of the mild zonal type, certainly nothing like 2019-20 and 2013-14 etc, and the only notable mild spell this winter was at the turn of the year; the rest of the time is has just basically been "nothing special", and disappointing in the sense that there has been a fair amount of high pressure around, but never in a favourable position to get proper cold to the UK, and charts have at times looked half way or getting towards being favourable for a proper cold spell for the UK but it has never come together, and we have often been left with temperatures been stuck at about average, with hardly any real cold.  I am just wondering if, judging by the pattern we have had so far, has been more like a "failed cold winter" for the UK.

Edited by North-Easterly Blast

Posted
1 hour ago, johncam said:

Again you are only talking about  your location so you cannot generalize, up here January and most of December have been mild cloudy and damp,  awful 

Similar to when you guys had the good summer weather last year, and the south was experiencing some of the worst weather for June-August period. 

Come summer when we've barely had a week or 25c days, some folk will be moaning its too hot. 

• Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, DCee said:

We saw a bit of snow last winter, not much but still a small amount.

I think some people on here have way too much expectation, when it comes to wanting snow in the UK, especially in the South.

Global warming or not, we have always been a maritime climate. 

6 minutes ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

I have found this winter so far not particularly of the mild zonal type, certainly nothing like 2019-20 and 2013-14 etc, and the only notable mild spell this winter was at the turn of the year; the rest of the time is has just basically been "nothing special", and disappointing in the sense that there has been a fair amount of high pressure around, but never in a favourable position to get proper cold to the UK, and charts have at times looked half way or getting towards being favourable for a proper cold spell for the UK but it has never come together, and we have often been left with temperatures been stuck at about average, with hardly any real cold.  I am just wondering if, judging by the pattern we have had so far, has been more like a "failed cold winter" for the UK.

Possibly, or just a winter where it wasn't cold enough. 

Walking around central london yesterday, and it certainly felt very cold.

Posted

With Snow in Athens resulting in their Airport having to close, record breaking snow in USA, Canada, China, Southern Europe & Japan etc one has to wonder if we are getting our tadgers tugged by those that make a fortune by scaring us.  The recent snow fall pictures from the Sahara Desert simply strengthens this claim.

Here in Scotland there was Snow on the Hills last October, Heavy Snow in my garden in November, Christmas was lovely with snow also, but this January has been mild, and guess what?  January can be mild it has been many times in the past.  Decembers in the past have been windy and mild on occasion but not this year.  Our life threatening Snow usually arrives Feb through March, with the odd heavy spell in April.  Spring begins officially in May up here and to this we all look forward to,  it is cold or freezing up here 6 months a year,  I'm from Liss in Hampshire (Originally) and long for the days when I can get back home and to warmer climes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 hours ago, Staffmoorlands said:

this happens pretty much every year in the states...sometimes esp in El Nino years it can happen a lot

Posted
1 hour ago, DCee said:

It is already for some parts of the south!

• Like 2

Posted

i just feel this winter has been a complete let down for cold,but there was so much potential.remember them amazing charts that were on show a week or two before xmas,only to come to nothing! it some it up really that many parts of the country enjoyed the coldest and most snow towards the end of november! we now have just 4 weeks remaining roughly..perhaps you could say 3 weeks because the next 7-10 days are showing nothing decent!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
6 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

i just feel this winter has been a complete let down for cold,but there was so much potential.remember them amazing charts that were on show a week or two before xmas,only to come to nothing! it some it up really that many parts of the country enjoyed the coldest and most snow towards the end of november! we now have just 4 weeks remaining roughly..perhaps you could say 3 weeks because the next 7-10 days are showing nothing decent!

Most other places haven’t been let down.  Record cold, record snow records tumbling and tumbling ….except our little sector 

BFTP

• Like 3