Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted

I'm struggling to remember the last really potent January gale around here, probably January 2018.  January 2019, 2021 and 2022 are/were pretty benign overall as regards to strong winds. Even January 2020 wasn't especially stormy. There was storm Brendan.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

The most frustrating thing is, you just know that in a few months time most of Europe will be basking under HP. While we'll be stuck under a trough with nowhere for it to go, just spinning around and around on top of us like a washing machine. You just know it's what will happen!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Regarding a lot of talk on here and elswhere on the Internet of the current cold and snow in Turkey. Some saying how rare it is and some even linking it to climate change!

The following is taken from a site regarding the winter climate of Turkey. 

"Winters are cold and snowy, with daytime temperatures generally around 5°C and evenings at -2°C. The amount of winter snowfall is directly proportional to elevation." 

I hope this puts all the exaggerations and nonsense talk to bed. 

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, minus10 said:

Yes this is just crazy now. An artic high and a gigantic high stretching from England well down into Africa...i dont think i have ever seen so much high pressure...

1573274217_npsh500(5).thumb.png.fff7711bc31b408c761a447cc21f0f61.png

It's truly awful. Can anyone with any technical insight give any way out of this nightmare waste of a winter? Gfs shows a constant flow of high pressure from start to finish with the south faring the mildest by the look of it... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms and sunshine
2 minutes ago, PiscesStar said:

It's truly awful. Can anyone with any technical insight give any way out of this nightmare waste of a winter? Gfs shows a constant flow of high pressure from start to finish with the south faring the mildest by the look of it... 

At least it’s dry I guess??‍♂️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
39 minutes ago, John88B said:

Regarding a lot of talk on here and elswhere on the Internet of the current cold and snow in Turkey. Some saying how rare it is and some even linking it to climate change!

"Winters are cold and snowy, with daytime temperatures generally around 5°C and evenings at -2°C. The amount of winter snowfall is directly proportional to elevation." 

It depends where you are. Not all of Turkey is cold and snowy.

If you were somewhere like Bodrum...average highs there in winter are 15/16c. Definitely not cold and snowy. Istanbul does receive a fair amount of snow though.

• Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Yes - In 5 weeks time  meteorological winter will be officially over  That is the only way out! I think this winter has been the most uneventful I can remember for ages. Just seems days and weeks are going by with literally nothing happening. The 00z runs are pretty similar to this, and last night's ECM update shows little to no change over the next 3 weeks out to the middle of February. High pressure staying close by, with low pressure stuck up to the NW on the whole. +NAO dominating and not much prospect of cold for now.

The trees, roof tiles and garden fences of north east England disagree with your assessment of uneventful. 

I like snow as much as anyone but surely this extended spell settled, dry and relatively mild weather is unusual - and therefore something of an event. It is certainly preferable to endless rain and wind.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Sun
4 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Watching Sky News, shows a video of snow falling in Athens.

Like we are the only country in the northern hemisphere that doesn't get snow

No..you're the only county

Posted
23 minutes ago, jules216 said:

But there is a lot of presumtion on here about UKMO or EC mantra that when they agree on a solution IT must be right, Well its not its as far appart as it could be this January. One time it will serve to benefit UK. I would not complain sa UK has some nice frosty high pressure weather with little of Atlantic storms. Settled frosty weather is so much better then Atlantic i would say after 15 years of life on the east coast of Ireland.

About 3 frost in this spell and endless amount dull cloudy weather no thanks.

Yep and today is another dull one.

20220125_095912.jpg

Edited by booferking
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

I think this winter has been the most uneventful I can remember for ages. 

Totally how I feel about this winter.

I am a winterposter on here, only really post from mid Nov through to spring, this year I have barely posted, it has just been so quiet!

• Like 7

Posted

Cold murk again in Sheffield - can't think of anything worse. A bit more interest in a few days at least

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
17 minutes ago, booferking said:

About 3 frost in this spell and endless amount dull cloudy weather no thanks.

Yep and today is another dull one.

20220125_095912.jpg

This is a lot like my usual winter in Slovakia believe me, my mean wind spreed is like 1ms and cloud even lower, difference is that temps would be about 5C colder and i would have s legacy grey Snow if 1 inch that would have Fallen weeks ago. But still better then 10ms wind,showers and 8°C. You can see here barely dusting of snow

IMG_20220122_081752.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
1 hour ago, jules216 said:

This is a lot like my usual winter in Slovakia believe me, my mean wind spreed is like 1ms and cloud even lower, difference is that temps would be about 5C colder and i would have s legacy grey Snow if 1 inch that would have Fallen weeks ago. But still better then 10ms wind,showers and 8°C. You can see here barely dusting of snow

IMG_20220122_081752.jpg

Difference is, here in the UK we'd be delighted with barely a dusting of snow and temps around freezing during the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Fair be it from me to moan but all this continual cloudy weather of nothingness is starting to get to me...Anyone know why the high pressures tend to be of the cloudy affair in winter?  I'd rather it be rainy and stormy to be honest as we know how unlikely snow is for southern areas...

I bloody hope we get this pattern of high pressures in Spring/Summer 

• Like 1

Posted
On 24/01/2022 at 09:28, Empire Of Snow said:

I'm now 10yrs in UK and all summers have been great. I don't get the complaints about summer here and this comes from someone that lived 2/3 of his life in Greece. I certainly don't want UK summers of long 30c+ periods. Even 25c it's unbearable for me over here especially when you have to work and A/C is a rare thing compared to countries like Greece. 

I'd say that summer climate in UK is a joy but maybe it's just me feeling this way. 

Oh, east Greece is getting battered again right now with snowstorms. This is what I mainly miss and not hot summers. 

I think it's just the reputation but I agree with you I think the summers on balance are pretty good in the south, more so the south east especially 

Posted
4 hours ago, PiscesStar said:

I will scream if we don't get this pattern in spring summer and it flips to continual low pressures 

• Like 1

Posted
23 hours ago, E17boy said:

sorry if this should be in the moans thread but I have complained to winter

DEAR WINTER, 

I am writing this to you to advise how discussed I am with the service that we have had from you this season.

I started my contract period with you at the beginning of November and from your advertisement it was looking as if this was going to be a bumper season coming up. The satisfaction was there when you began delivering some cold goods at the end of November.

I used your service through the December period and then With Christmas coming it looked good, however how was I to know that as a service provider you was about to slap me as a customer on my face.

Your bloody staff Mr GFS, Icon and Mr High pressure dare I say provided some false information for the Christmas period. With a promise of what was going to be a splendid Christmas with the delivery of cold turned out to be total shambles. However there was nothing I could do as my contract was signed for the whole winter season. 

With the Christmas season gone you decided to make Mr HIgh Pressure as part of the main feature of my package. Since then I have been very frustrated as this new feature had completely taken away the luxury of the cold goods I would have normally expected. I have constantly been trying to get through to your customer service Helpdesk who advise that things may will change and the rest of my contract period will pick up from mild to cold n snowey.

It is bloody the last week of January now and still I haven’t seen any improvements. Model forecasting wa..ers please mind my language this is the least I can say, spend their time sitting on the loo playing with their balls ( an activity I am sure they are highly adapt to) smoking B&H and trying to be mystic megs  forecasting cold goods are coming in 10 days but they never do, I closely refer to GFS & CFS here very highly.

There is nothing else Left for me to say except that I don’t know why you have hired Mr high pressure what were you thinking. I do believe I won’t be the only dissatisfied coldie who will be complaining about this.

With this letter I attach 2 pieces of my cats litter they are fresh and moist, this is the least I can send you as feedback for the service Provided by you this season. Please take the time to sniff the odour and pass on my comments to your highly performing models who think they have got away with the 10 day fantasy charts.

Lastly just to advise you I will be glad when my contract period with you will be over and will be looking forward to greeting your successor MR Spring when he arrives.

I will not be renewing my contract with you ever again, next season I will be going with another provider winter 22/23 .

your sincerely (NOT)

very dissatisfied coldie

You forgot to take out your insurance with your get out of the rut free card by calling in Mr Sudden Stratospheric Warming to the office to shake things up.

I'm guessing when you signed your contract with Winter 2021/22 you counted on Mr EQBO doing his job of keeping Mr Polar Vortex in check along with helpful assistance from a weakened Mr Sun and an eastern based Mr La Nina.

I'm guessing you signed up Mr High Pressure thinking he would base himself in the northern part of the office to help deliver the cold goods but instead he decided to park himself very much in the middle of the office where Mr UK is based.

Instead Mr Polar Vortex decided he would sit in the seat you reserved for Mr High Pressure instead in the north of the office and took all the cold goods there with him too.

Maybe you could do a better deal with Spring 2022 and hope you don't end up ordering a bad one and watch out if you reorder Mr High Pressure again for Spring 2022. He may well decide to finally park himself in the north of the office and ruin spring for us instead.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I think it's just the reputation but I agree with you I think the summers on balance are pretty good in the south, more so the south east especially 

The majority of citizens in countries like Italy, Spain and Greece don't enjoy the hot weather unless they are on their 7-10 days summer holidays. In fact I don't even know anybody that enjoys summer in Greece. You're struggling at work because of the heat, bills go through the roof because of the continuous operation of A/C. It's a nightmare. 

Yes it's like a paradise for us in the UK when we go to these countries for holidays but it's not the same when you have to live for months under these conditions. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
26 minutes ago, Empire Of Snow said:

The majority of citizens in countries like Italy, Spain and Greece don't enjoy the hot weather unless they are on their 7-10 days summer holidays. In fact I don't even know anybody that enjoys summer in Greece. You're struggling at work because of the heat, bills go through the roof because of the continuous operation of A/C. It's a nightmare. 

Yes it's like a paradise for us in the UK when we go to these countries for holidays but it's not the same when you have to live for months under these conditions. 

Incorrect.

I have a house in southern Spain and the Spanish love the outdoor lifestyle a hot summer brings, you hear them moan if we get an unseasonal wet spell.

I have spent many summers out in Spain and only for 4 weeks per year is the heat too much.

The endless blue skies are glorious.

Andy

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

I've been thinking about winters past when there were 'Great Frosts' like that in 1709 or 1890/91 and whether the conditions we have this winter would have been similar back then i.e. stuck under large amounts of high pressure for months on end. I think we may have still been in the mini ice age period back then so I assume the climate would have been generally cooler than it is today 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Constant cloudy skies might not be very cheerful or exciting but they sure as heck beat constant wind and rain...much more useful for being outdoors

Posted
54 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

UK must be the cloudiest country in whole northern hemisphere during winter. Perhaps Iceland and Ireland beats us. 

It's not UK. It's west Norway. 

7 hours ago, John88B said:

Not quite pal.

A 5c high / -2c low would be typical of inland Turkey during winter, however on the south coast the expected January temps are closer to 15c / 8c, rarely dropping below 3c. Therefore snow on the south coast of Turkey as seen this morning is very rare, only happens once every few decades. I know the climate of Turkey well spent a lot of time there.

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Thanks 2