Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

I was slagging UKMO seasonal model for January now I ve noticed  how ECMWF performed with 2/3 gone. From Sceuro high is almost sceuro trough. From mean SE its more less NW whole month here. Just confirms how useless the seasonal models are and also there is a bias for Euro high nearly all the time,they are almost calibrated for recent climo.

inCollage_20220122_220804414.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Another lovely cold crisp day on the Yorkshire Wolds, bright sunshine all day, temps dropping tonight, a good frost tomorrow like we had this morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
33 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Bit fed up that High Pressure has dominated in January.  Really need it in June and July. But you just know what will happen! 

A pattern change to low pressure in spring then another to high pressure in summer wouldn’t be so bad.

What we don’t what is long periods like this in March and April. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 hours ago, MP-R said:

A pattern change to low pressure in spring then another to high pressure in summer wouldn’t be so bad.

What we don’t what is long periods like this in March and April. 

Yes, I don’t mind a wet spring (if it’s not cold) and then a decent summer to follow, great growing conditions anyway 

• Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, mpkio2 said:

The irony is is that last year the NAO had months of negativity during the later summer and autumn months and then flipped positive as we hit Winter. I thought "Well, nature will have to balance that out...." and believed the NAO would stay positive. Low and behold, my guess/theory was correct.

I believe we won't get a cold spell (Pro-longed cold spell with snow and ice) until late February/March at the earliest. 

Don't mean to be pessimistic, but that's just where my thinking is. Kudos to those who are always observing and putting their necks out on predictions! 

Hit the nail on the head.Excellent post explaining in easy to understand words the reason this Winter has been complete crud.

Watch the NAO flip negative again as we come out of Winter

Edited by SLEETY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Negative -now theres a word.

Maybe negative is writing off Winter.

When notably February is the snowiest month.

Every single Winter February is the best chance of snow.

It's weeks into fi atm.

Chill.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
13 hours ago, January Snowstorm said:

Must surely be heading for one of the most benign Winters on record!

Nothing going on for weeks on end, even fog hasn't been a factor! 

One named storm in 3 months!

For weather enthusiasts it's been very hard going and in my nearly 50 years of weather watching don't recall one so lacklustre!

Much of the last 12 months have been dreadful for weather here. Negligible snow, struggling to get frosts until the last week, occasional rumbles, strong winds absent. Even by the UK's low standards it's been poor.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Oh well on another dreary mild January day it's nice to know someone is getting snow.

The Agean Islands in Greece received heavy snowfalls last night right down to sea level, with an average max temperature in January of 16c that's not bad going.

Mainland Greece affected by a severe freeze with heavy snow and night temps below -15c

We can only dream.

Andy

Screenshot_20220123-124810_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Penrith Snow said:

Oh well on another dreary mild January day it's nice to know someone is getting snow.

The Agean Islands in Greece received heavy snowfalls last night right down to sea level, with an average max temperature in January of 16c that's not bad going.

Mainland Greece affected by a severe freeze with heavy snow and night temps below -15c

We can only dream.

Andy

Screenshot_20220123-124810_Chrome.jpg

Depressing,  isn't.

We live in absolutely the worst place in the world for snow at our latitude plus and minus 1000 miles.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters, Warm Summers.
6 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

I no it’s not strictly model related but this is the current situation in Crete Greece! Absolutely ridiculous they get this and we can’t even get a little toppler 

542747D0-6899-46DD-8D81-704D154A1958.jpeg

?‍♂️ 

Edited by JOPRO
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
24 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

I no it’s not strictly model related but this is the current situation in Crete Greece! Absolutely ridiculous they get this and we can’t even get a little toppler 

They do have some high ground there, much higher than we have.  I think the plateau is 4000 ft asl. Surrounded by 20 peaks exceeding 2000m.  Impressive 

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

They do have some high ground there, much higher than we have.  I think the plateau is around 6000 ft asl.

BFTP

Yeah but this is my friends place and not that high up at all. Anyway you never no we might scrape something soon once this boring high clears off

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
38 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

same every year! Sadly typical

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

Depressing,  isn't.

We live in absolutely the worst place in the world for snow at our latitude plus and minus 1000 miles.

Pretty much. Prevailing winds coming across thousands of miles of warmish ocean scupper things generally. Always been thus, snow and deep cold are usually very infrequent visitors. Though climate change isn’t helping. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
9 hours ago, Floatylight said:

Negative -now theres a word.

Maybe negative is writing off Winter.

When notably February is the snowiest month.

Every single Winter February is the best chance of snow.

It's weeks into fi atm.

Chill.

March and April snowiest months! unlikely to settle long though at low levels

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
14 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Pretty much. Prevailing winds coming across thousands of miles of warmish ocean scupper things generally. Always been thus, snow and deep cold are usually very infrequent visitors. Though climate change isn’t helping. 

No it hasn't always been thus, until 1988 UK winters often had spells of cold and snow now these spells are rare.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

Depressing,  isn't.

Whether heat or cold is your thing it’s the same with our climate. Even in the hottest years it’s rare to get more than 10 days above 30C and laying snow is becoming more rare, down here I’d be surprised if we average more the one day a year with a inch of snow cover. 

Posted

Athens, Greece set to get some good snowfall in next 24hrs. 
Imagine being a country with hot summer weather and yet better cold/snow chances than the U.K. in winter months at that latitude. 
Thanks to the good old Gulf Stream and Atlantic Ocean. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
9 hours ago, Nick L said:

Much of the last 12 months have been dreadful for weather here. Negligible snow, struggling to get frosts until the last week, occasional rumbles, strong winds absent. Even by the UK's low standards it's been poor.

Very much the same here. Apart from one thunderstorm back in July I can't really think of anything of note at all in the last 12 months. It's certainly been the most boring period I can remember since I really became interested in the weather some time ago. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Penrith Snow said:

No it hasn't always been thus, until 1988 UK winters often had spells of cold and snow now these spells are rare.

I disagree with the word ‘often’. Lived in southern England for 45 years and snow has always been pretty rare in that time. Can’t speak for other areas, of course, but the UK hasn’t been Narnia in winter since the Little Ice Age

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
1 hour ago, Penrith Snow said:

At almost 62, I can at least say that I have lived through some memorable winters.  Unlike the pathetic offerings that occur these days.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

At almost 62, I can at least say that I have lived through some memorable winters.  Unlike the pathetic offerings that occur these days.

Unlike folk born after 1998, they don't know what a real winter is

• Like 2