Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

this really is turning into a god awful winter here in Edmonton..horrible freeze thaw going on over the weekend..pavements and footpaths are like ice rinks..as any run off from daytime freezes solid overnight...because all the roads have big windrows everywhere the water has no where to go so footpaths are covered in thick sheets of ice everywhere..woke up this morning to more freezing rain..which has now turned to wet snow..meaning all that ice will be hidden by a thin layer of snow..one wrong move and you could literally break your neck...looks like this weather will last for the rest of the week before we finally head back into the freezer...roll on spring please!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Another grim day here, cloudy and 4°C, feels very chilly. Dreary 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah, for the London area snow fell in these years during the classic so called golden era of 79-87.

1979 - snow fell in January and February.

1980 - snowless during 79/80 and 80/81. Contained some mild periods for the south.

1981 - snowed in December

1982- snowed at the start of January, continuing the cold theme from December 81.

1983 - another snowless year with some flurries in feb, but no lying snow for London.

1984 -  nothing

1985 - cold but no snow in london

1986 - cold in February, but no snow

1987 - snow in January and the heaviest since the winter of 1981/82, and this would be the last snowfall in London until February 1991.

So, even during the golden era, snow was still very much a rare visitor. On average it would come around every 3-5 years, which is still a long gap. 

It’s still damp and dreary. Regardless whether we have snow or not, I still class the current weather as cold. 

I really hope we don’t endure another summer like last year during 2022. It really was depressing, and it came off the back of a cold dull May. 

I think it was 1979 when my grandparents visited from Czechoslovakia and it snowed loads. We made 2 tall snowmen (a Mr and Mrs) and I remember they were still there (albeit much reduced) in early Spring. Couldn’t remember if it was ‘79 or ‘81 but I think it must have been ‘79 from your records ??

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow sun thunderstorms frost

It comes to something when u watch live streaming from Greece with snow then boiling hot in summer knowing our luck we will have low pressure all the spring early summer 

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, joggs said:

Well,I know there's still 5 weeks or so of proper winter but with what the model's are showing and no signs of a SSW I'm throwing in the towel on this mainly snowless winter.

Background signals were good but just goes to show how hard it is for our tiny island to enjoy some decent winter weather.

Saying that,I have enjoyed the dryness of the last few weeks tbh.

Hold in there.. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
1 hour ago, Country Boy said:

I remember it snowed  heavy in March one year at the Cheltenham Race Festival.

But i Cant remember the year.

1986..☺

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
1 hour ago, Country Boy said:

I remember it snowed  heavy in March one year at the Cheltenham Race Festival.

But i Cant remember the year.

1987 - the Gold Cup was delayed for about 90 mins; and even when run, there was snow around, won by The Thinker.

Edited by HafrenLMP1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
39 minutes ago, Frigid said:

Last year, Madrid had record breaking snowfall and cold. Now this year its Greece and Turkey. What will it take to get a snow event in this country...

There are always some good snow events in Greece every winter. It depends on where you live. It's also a country with 25 ski resorts. If you live inland it takes just a 45min-1h drive from a city to find snow all winter until April. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Another snorefest here , really can't remember the weather being so boring in Jan 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Athens Airport this afternoon.

Meanwhile here in Northern England I spent the day cutting the grass!

Andy

BFADEAF6-C005-439D-8CCB-4D6E6859A6AE.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
44 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

1986..☺

Whoops one year out☺

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms☃⛈

UK Weather Memories - 24 January 2021 Snow Event | Northamptonshire, UK❄️

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah, for the London area snow fell in these years during the classic so called golden era of 79-87.

1985 - cold but no snow in london

1986 - cold in February, but no snow

Really, no snow in London during winter 1984/85 or February 1986?

Posted
4 hours ago, Frigid said:

Last year, Madrid had record breaking snowfall and cold. Now this year its Greece and Turkey. What will it take to get a snow event in this country...

We have special mild sector that we always stay in.  Anyway, given everything that is going on in the world and energy prices it's probably for the best.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

The failed Xmas cold spell really was a kick in the nuts, and we've been on our knees ever since! Feels like we've never really recovered from that blow

Just a bit of humour guys, if you don't laugh you'll cry being a cold weather fan here in the UK.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
5 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I still class the current weather as cold. 

Fair point,we are all different, its just like myself saying  25c plus is far to hot to be comfortable, perceptions and feel of temps varies widely. Nothing to criticise, just a difference in how we all live with weather conditions.

Posted

A coastal Middle Eastern city now gets more snow than I've ever seen save for one or two times.

I know it shouldn't surprise me anymore, but it really is disgusting how bad the UK is for snow considering we are a few hundred miles away from a country permanently covered in snow and ice.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy L said:

A coastal Middle Eastern city now gets more snow than I've ever seen save for one or two times.

I know it shouldn't surprise me anymore, but it really is disgusting how bad the UK is for snow considering we are a few hundred miles away from a country permanently covered in snow and ice.

It helps that Athens, Istanbul, New York, etc, etc, are all on massive continents that often get extremely cold in winter and generally don’t have moderating bodies of water for air to cross. It’s usually pretty difficult to get cold and snow to the UK/NW Europe, and climate change is diminishing  chances further. But they’ll still occur from time to time and one day, the UK’s turn will come. Might happen in February ?‍♂️ 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Not unusual for snow to lie in Istanbul but very unusual for sea level in Athens. Less so for the hillier parts of the city. My cousin and her partner ran a bar/restaurant at the beach in Athens and saw lying snow once there in fifteen years.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
4 hours ago, Iceman2606 said:

UK Weather Memories - 24 January 2021 Snow Event | Northamptonshire, UK❄️

Indeed, this was the 24th/25th near Daventry

20210125_094904.jpg

20210124_114902.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Think I'll be booking a holiday next winter somewhere cold and snowy to guarantee a snow fix! Mind I went to Moscow and St Petersburg New Year 07 hoping for severe cold and snow, alas they were having one of there mildest new years on record temps hovered just around 0 degrees indeed maxima a little above and there was sleet and no ice on the rivers! Typical!

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Go stormchasing and skiing at the same time....

GREECE...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
57 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

Would have more luck hunting for lord lucan than cold this winter. When does the hunt for spring thread open ?

Last December