Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
2 hours ago, Empire Of Snow said:

I'm now 10yrs in UK and all summers have been great. I don't get the complaints about summer here and this comes from someone that lived 2/3 of his life in Greece. I certainly don't want UK summers of long 30c+ periods. Even 25c it's unbearable for me over here especially when you have to work and A/C is a rare thing compared to countries like Greece. 

I'd say that summer climate in UK is a joy but maybe it's just me feeling this way. 

Oh, east Greece is getting battered again right now with snowstorms. This is what I mainly miss and not hot summers. 

I agree although quite often the UK summers can be too humid for my liking. But yes, it is good that we are not getting those horrendous heatwaves yet. Sadly, it is only a matter of time with the way the planet is warming.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow!

BTW have a look at eastern Greece.

Thundersnow https://en.sat24.com/en/gr/visual

Acropolis can't be seen due to snowstorm https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/ellada/atiki/athina/acropolis.html

Blizzard in the suburbs viliacam.jpg

Some amazing pictures will follow the next days..

Edited by topo
  • Like 5

Posted
6 hours ago, Weather-history said:

April snow is actually has been pretty rare since post 2001

Snowless Aprils here

2002, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020

Agree with this, I'm not sure where this "March and April snowier than winter" nonsense has come from. March 2013 and 2018 had cold spells, but weren't that snowy for us. They only gave 0.5cm and 1cm covers here. We've only had lying snow in 5 Marches since 2001 and April has been even worse, we've had measurable lying snow only once since 1999.

In the same time period, the March and April maximum temperature records have both gone twice!

Posted
26 minutes ago, Hull 1963 said:

I agree with you. Those saying that last years warm September had an effect on this years weather, are talking utter nonsense in my opinion.

Agree - front loaded/back loaded - this sorry excuse for a ‘winter’ has been non loaded.

All these analogues - September patterns etc - waste of time in my opinion.

So many variables come into the mix with the UK and winter outcomes - might as well flick a coin. 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, reef said:

Agree with this, I'm not sure where this "March and April snowier than winter" nonsense has come from. March 2013 and 2018 had cold spells, but weren't that snowy for us. They only gave 0.5cm and 1cm covers here. We've only had lying snow in 5 Marches since 2001 and April has been even worse, we've had measurable lying snow only once since 1999.

In the same time period, the March and April maximum temperature records have both gone twice!

Same with white Easters more likely than white Christmases. I have never seen snow on the ground on Easter day. 

Last March snow here was 2018. Since and including March 2009, I have only seen falling snow during March: 2013, 2015, 2016, 2018.   

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

Last year's warm September has destroyed cold prospects for this winter, and this winter was already dead in the water last September after its anomalous warmth, and the warm September = poor winter theory has just followed suit again.

Lets use some logic: Why would a specific 30 day period of weather in the calendar  have an effect on a specific 90 day period of weather in the calendar of which there is a 61 day gap between the two said periods?

I have not heard one explanation given why this would be? 

• Like 6

sorry if this should be in the moans thread but I have complained to winter

DEAR WINTER, 

I am writing this to you to advise how discussed I am with the service that we have had from you this season.

I started my contract period with you at the beginning of November and from your advertisement it was looking as if this was going to be a bumper season coming up. The satisfaction was there when you began delivering some cold goods at the end of November.

I used your service through the December period and then With Christmas coming it looked good, however how was I to know that as a service provider you was about to slap me as a customer on my face.

Your bloody staff Mr GFS, Icon and Mr High pressure dare I say provided some false information for the Christmas period. With a promise of what was going to be a splendid Christmas with the delivery of cold turned out to be total shambles. However there was nothing I could do as my contract was signed for the whole winter season. 

With the Christmas season gone you decided to make Mr HIgh Pressure as part of the main feature of my package. Since then I have been very frustrated as this new feature had completely taken away the luxury of the cold goods I would have normally expected. I have constantly been trying to get through to your customer service Helpdesk who advise that things may will change and the rest of my contract period will pick up from mild to cold n snowey.

It is bloody the last week of January now and still I haven’t seen any improvements. Model forecasting wa..ers please mind my language this is the least I can say, spend their time sitting on the loo playing with their balls ( an activity I am sure they are highly adapt to) smoking B&H and trying to be mystic megs  forecasting cold goods are coming in 10 days but they never do, I closely refer to GFS & CFS here very highly.

There is nothing else Left for me to say except that I don’t know why you have hired Mr high pressure what were you thinking. I do believe I won’t be the only dissatisfied coldie who will be complaining about this.

With this letter I attach 2 pieces of my cats litter they are fresh and moist, this is the least I can send you as feedback for the service Provided by you this season. Please take the time to sniff the odour and pass on my comments to your highly performing models who think they have got away with the 10 day fantasy charts.

Lastly just to advise you I will be glad when my contract period with you will be over and will be looking forward to greeting your successor MR Spring when he arrives.

I will not be renewing my contract with you ever again, next season I will be going with another provider winter 22/23 .

your sincerely (NOT)

very dissatisfied coldie

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

From Mark Wilson, a meteorologist at the Met Office: "There's a higher chance of getting snow over Easter in the UK than there is at Christmas."

He says that between 1981 and 2010 there were an average of 3.9 days with sleet or snow falling in the UK in December, compared with 4.2 days in March.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

From Mark Wilson, a meteorologist at the Met Office: "There's a higher chance of getting snow over Easter in the UK than there is at Christmas."

He says that between 1981 and 2010 there were an average of 3.9 days with sleet or snow falling in the UK in December, compared with 4.2 days in March.

Problem with that stat is that Easter falls on average about 75% of the time in April

5 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Lets use some logic: Why would a specific 30 day period of weather in the calendar  have an effect on a specific 90 day period of weather in the calendar of which there is a 61 day gap between the two said periods?

I have not heard one explanation given why this would be? 

Lets look at the top 10 warmest September for the CET

16.8 2006  EWP: 77.6mm               October and November: unusually mild and wettish

16.6 1729  Unknown EWP             October, mild for the time, November very mild

16.3 1949 EWP: 47.1mm               October, very mild and wet. November was wettish but more average temperature

16.3 1865 EWP: 9.5mm                October was very wet but average temperature for period, November was average temperature and rainfall

16.0 2016 EWP: 72.0mm              October was a little mild and dry, November was coolish and wettish

16.0 1795  EWP: 12.9mm            October was very mild and wet, November was cold and wettish

15.9 2021  EWP: 67.7mm             October was mild and wet, November was slightly mild and dry

15.7 1760  Unknown EWP          October and November about average for period

15.6 1999  EWP: 124.9mm        October was  about average temps, slightly drier. November was mild but on dryish

15.6 1780    wasn't followed by a mild winter 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
58 minutes ago, reef said:

Yes I think it's people's memory playing tricks on them... after all we remember snow more in spring than winter as it's much less expected.

I suppose with Easter moving every year there's the opportunity to get the right lottery numbers versus occurring on the same day every year like Christmas, although it's just as much of a lottery that way... 

Overall, our snowiest months are January and February. March snowfalls tend to come in the first half of the month so that doesn't help Easter. There would've been a few more white Christmas occurrences over the year had it fallen on January 06th.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

A small banter here. At my station I am trying to lower Tn fór Slovakia this winter elsewhere. It is a mountain task as it stands at -23°C. Our mat agency has warnings for -20/-22 interval. Only 20cm of Snow vs other Frost cold spots that have 50+CM but I always believed here lies coldest inhabitted village in central Europe not like Czechia,Poland or Hungary who activelly search for holes in ground where no one lives and claim it like official station or something. Here I have a post Office,train station and Actual post code

IMG_20220124_141945.jpg

IMG_20220124_141533.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
On 23/01/2022 at 07:10, stainesbloke said:

Yes, I don’t mind a wet spring (if it’s not cold) and then a decent summer to follow, great growing conditions anyway 

Yes, 1989 and 1994 were like that. Although 89 was a better summer overall. Both summers had decent warm and hot sunny spells during June and July, and some warm days during August.

Posted
2 hours ago, karyo said:

I agree although quite often the UK summers can be too humid for my liking. But yes, it is good that we are not getting those horrendous heatwaves yet. Sadly, it is only a matter of time with the way the planet is warming.

I don’t agree with the statement made by our Greek friend. 

The only summers I would class as decent from the last 9 years would be 2013, 2018, and the early summer of 2020, with the first half of August being quite hot, but with that nice extended dry sunny period during April until early June, before the weather went downhill in mid June. July was mostly dull and overcast.

2021 was awful in the south, with only 3 weeks of sunny or hot days in June and July. The rest of it was weeks of dull and dreary weather. The warm sunny September wasn’t enough to make up for it. 

The fact we didn’t reach 35c and barely hit 32c last summer, still highlights the unpredictable nature of our weather. 

I can’t wait for some warm sunny days with a hot spell thrown in. Just what we need, after the recent cold weather. 

Edited by Sunny76

Posted
46 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Yes I think it's people's memory playing tricks on them... after all we remember snow more in spring than winter as it's much less expected.

I suppose with Easter moving every year there's the opportunity to get the right lottery numbers versus occurring on the same day every year like Christmas, although it's just as much of a lottery that way... 

Overall, our snowiest months are January and February. March snowfalls tend to come in the first half of the month so that doesn't help Easter. There would've been a few more white Christmas occurrences over the year had it fallen on January 06th.

I never remember snow lying on the ground in March or April, apart from 2018. 2013 was very cold and could easily rival anything from the 1980s in terms of bitter temps. 

I was born in 76, and only remember some snow flurries or sleet showers in March and April in some years. 

Posted
20 hours ago, Penrith Snow said:

No it hasn't always been thus, until 1988 UK winters often had spells of cold and snow now these spells are rare.

Even before 88, there was never a guarantee of snow, in the southern half of the country. The early to mid 70s was quite poor for snowfall, but 79-87 brought the shift to colder winters. The same could be said for the late 2000s. 

• Like 1

Posted
20 hours ago, Polaris said:

Athens, Greece set to get some good snowfall in next 24hrs. 
Imagine being a country with hot summer weather and yet better cold/snow chances than the U.K. in winter months at that latitude. 
Thanks to the good old Gulf Stream and Atlantic Ocean. 

And we will be freezing in July when it’s barely reaching 19-20c with cloud and damp west winds. That’s what I hate sometimes about this country. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
14 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

with only 3 weeks of sunny or hot days in June and July.

ONLY!.....i'd take only 3 days of cold weather this Winter any time. For those whose favourite season it is we aren't even going to get that this Winter! Not been remotely cold so far.

• Like 2

Posted
18 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

I disagree with the word ‘often’. Lived in southern England for 45 years and snow has always been pretty rare in that time. Can’t speak for other areas, of course, but the UK hasn’t been Narnia in winter since the Little Ice Age

Yeah, for the London area snow fell in these years during the classic so called golden era of 79-87.

1979 - snow fell in January and February.

1980 - snowless during 79/80 and 80/81. Contained some mild periods for the south.

1981 - snowed in December

1982- snowed at the start of January, continuing the cold theme from December 81.

1983 - another snowless year with some flurries in feb, but no lying snow for London.

1984 -  nothing

1985 - cold but no snow in london

1986 - cold in February, but no snow

1987 - snow in January and the heaviest since the winter of 1981/82, and this would be the last snowfall in London until February 1991.

So, even during the golden era, snow was still very much a rare visitor. On average it would come around every 3-5 years, which is still a long gap. 

5 minutes ago, markyo said:

ONLY!.....i'd take only 3 days of cold weather this Winter any time. For those whose favourite season it is we aren't even going to get that this Winter! Not been remotely cold so far.

It’s still damp and dreary. Regardless whether we have snow or not, I still class the current weather as cold. 

I really hope we don’t endure another summer like last year during 2022. It really was depressing, and it came off the back of a cold dull May. 

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I never remember snow lying on the ground in March or April, apart from 2018. 2013 was very cold and could easily rival anything from the 1980s in terms of bitter temps. 

I was born in 76, and only remember some snow flurries or sleet showers in March and April in some years. 

I remember it snowed  heavy in March one year at the Cheltenham Race Festival.

But i Cant remember the year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow!

Sorry but I have to repost, blizzard in Athens chaos in the streets more than 30cm in the suburbs and more to come.

The national road, about 200m elevation in Athens https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Q35fPLbJI

Edited by topo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
42 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

There may be an element of London marginality there, but I'm not far behind where I am.

Marches with lying snow here in my lifetime (born in 1992) include: 2001, 2004, 2006, 2013 and 2018. 

Other than a run of relatively snowy Aprils 1998-2000, any other occurrences of snow in April have been 'falling' rather than 'lying' with the exception of 2008, which puts in about the same position as November as a snow month here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
25 minutes ago, topo said:

Sorry but I have to repost, blizzard in Athens chaos in the streets more than 30cm in the suburbs and more to come.

The national road, about 200m elevation in Athens https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Q35fPLbJI

I've just seen a picture of Santorini, they're buried, meanwhile here in south east england, I can barely get a frost lol. That bleeding azores high, needs to do 1, every sodding winter it's there.

• Like 2