Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Pleased to be proven wrong about saying not sure we'd see the sun today, as the clouds are thinning and blue skies appearing with the sun shining through, nice day out there, barely any wind either, temp 6c.

I wonder how long it'll take for the fog to come down, this evening, BB. 

Posted
3 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

I wonder how long it'll take for the fog to come down, this evening, BB. 

Well the cloud has rolled in over the last hour hasnt it, pretty dull now, probably get the fog earlier tonight as a result. Hopefully gone by morning as it was early morning today  

Posted
3 hours ago, Blazerblue said:

Pleased to be proven wrong about saying not sure we'd see the sun today, as the clouds are thinning and blue skies appearing with the sun shining through, nice day out there, barely any wind either, temp 6c.

Dull in Kent, Fog all morning now lifted to low cloud. 4 degrees,  a marked change in the look of the weather from yesterday, although did again reach -3.3 last night before milder air arrived. Up the local hills (North Downs) fog is still prevalent.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Managed to get these off my camera from the backend of the squall line on the 2nd

The storm before the sunlight turned it pink

1003.thumb.JPG.2f4d8acf1528c80969c7d41c1bd63233.JPG

And then the incredible colours came
1000.thumb.JPG.7b22a02fc1dd7ce944cbf71aac458641.JPG1001.thumb.JPG.67d21670d7dd38e6adff572f5c826fab.JPG1005.thumb.JPG.42a863252c0c1183f909409d5ed06fe9.JPG1006.thumb.JPG.615f2069796d04938c3fb4847938f61f.JPG1009.thumb.JPG.c57877a434c92454d901a0ab69f94e15.JPG1010.thumb.JPG.01e51bc3e85e4dc5742f75d7c5ecf21a.JPG

• Like 4

Posted

Fascinating pressure rise associated with shock wave from major Tonga eruption with my maths it was travelling just over 700mph with 14 hour travel time and and 10,000 miles distance. Never seen anything like this. I might not see it again feeling fortunate that I’ve experienced it. Shows how we all share an atmosphere! 

05DAC865-D096-4EFC-99D5-F8F04B5E61B9.thumb.png.786867ca74c88b92b8f326f4712dc3e5.png

• Like 5

Posted

This day last year we had snow and quite a lot of it, but nothing close to snow looks to be coming this way anytime soon this year. Cool morning, no frost or fog but still nice and dry but plenty of cloud around, hoping any rain fades before reaching here today.

6.7c here this morning... 

Strange winter month for weather although high pressure in winter is fairly common. Usually it migrates somewhere.. I think that is what is different this time round, it just won't budge! If this was summer, it would have probably been quite hot and dry.

If winter persits with high pressure then we ideally want a wet spring otherwise it could have implications as we move into summer 

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

There were quite a few pictures available earlier 

IMG_1084.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

IMG_1090.JPG

IMG_1095.MOV

Got these two ..one Saturday when fog lifted but low cloud coming in ..2  this evenings sun set... outlook is grim ..but we always knew we would be fighting a uphill battle for cold ..so no change ..

2022-01-15 15.12.00.jpg

2022-01-16 18.53.49.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

Very chilly this morning , car indicated 1c but , feels much colder than that.

Posted

Outlook for rest of month anyone ...? Think till high pressure dwindles over NE  Pacific which it is reluctant to do, we here are locked in  even more so than usual,I mean we have (our high) pressure in the wrong places at the wrong time  most of the time , just makes battle harder ..but there is so much energy still flowing up the hurricane route too (eastern states). whats causing which and how much for so long ? Our high is rooted to the the spot.. gutted

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Looking over at the standing wave across the Pacific.

xx_model-en-330-0_modusa_2022011700_90_1292_449.thumb.png.03abc4d83e7e53ad36b2170ec3ff171c.pngxx_model-en-330-0_modusa_2022011700_126_1292_449.thumb.png.0b40367bddf78fa266e68c7665c9ff60.png

We see very little change in the La Nina pattern of the strong standing wave across the Pacific, driving that jet stream and keeping the QBO from interfering with the jet. If it is affecting the jet stream (the QBO that is) then I don't think the air is allowed up and down in the usual cycle of rotation with something keeping the energy in the medium levels high (looks at La Nina in annoyance). La Nina is certainly driving the medium levels of the atmosphere into overdrive and something's got to change. Eventually, every motion has an equal and an opposite motion and eventually, when La Nina goes into overdrive, El Nino must come and calm things down. Eventually, the jet must calm itself down and it's just a matter of when and what happens with the MJO as to what happens.

xx_model-en-330-0_modusa_2022011700_150_1292_449.thumb.png.14efa87675a4651cff2f6ac533380484.pngxx_model-en-330-0_modusa_2022011700_150_1292_310.thumb.png.3ed7922513f9dc8332596787e7e0b739.png

Another Rossby Wave is kicked up by the standing wave, if it continues to build up Rossby Waves eventually, it will be shocked into El Nino and it's momentum and energy blown to pieces. You can already see it here with a slight weaken in the momentum of a standing wave. The transfer of the energy into these Rossby Waves will eventually weaken the standing wave over time, after all everything must stop. Even black holes will eventually leave this universe, even La Nina must weaken over time and I think it could happen over the next month after the SSW last year has kicked the Asian connections further on, which means that these kick up the Rossby Waves and so eventually the kick of these will mean they push more La Nina energy into these waves and La Nina will weaken every single time. It would be very hard to calculate the La Nina energy and if there is a way I don't know how but keep an eye on the Pacific for the moment La Nina 'dissapears'.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

A frosty start, another clear and sunny day.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

A frosty start, another clear and sunny day.

Not a cloud in the sky ..all day ..nothing 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny, freezing cold and snowy!!

Even though it has been another beautiful day and I’ve been for a lovely long walk down the beach without wearing a coat I’m still longing to see some snow! 

051CF9C9-E610-4E2B-9402-6BD95C907361.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather

Quite happy for today’s weather to continue, no work and a walk over beachy head, few of the seven sisters, inland to East Dean, sadly the Tiger    Inn was shut , and returning to Eastbourne! Not many folk about and wall to wall sunshine, fantastic. 4E831D77-5F08-4C3E-BC3F-EC38F1EF9500.thumb.jpeg.7cfe9f13a214d56bc0767a1a7f7e8837.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

At home -2 and a sharp ground frost , at work [ Milton Keynes] 1c. Seeing reports that we may have snow towards the end of the month.