Cold?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
1 hour ago, Eagle Eye said:

Sunrise this morning 

IMG_1023.JPG

And the sunsets yesterday and today have been glorious.
Those colours.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Surrey said:

-2 again this morning.. if we can get a frost from now till it gets colder again early next week this could be the most frosts in a row here since that easterly in 2018 I think, when we had 9 days of frost albiet colder than now.

Frost staying in the shade too, even though we are now above freezing by quite a bit, in part, due to low soil temps as little or no sun this time of year in sheltered spots.

Sun is now well and truly on the gain though now. With each day adding 2 1/2 minutes of daylight . Seems like not a lot but over 30 days that's well over an hour of daylight.. by end March the days are nearly 2.5-3 hours longer than in December.

It's a shame really as we do not aline well in winter with best time of year for snow vs absoulte solar minimum. Usually February is our snowiest part of winter here. However, by late Feb we have gained well over an hour of sunlight from solar minimum on 21st December.

Many times in February despite low temperatures, if you don't have cloud cover it's drip drip of melting snow as the sun really gets to work.

Yea slush in the road ruts become trip hazards crunchy crunch. Becomes slush again crunch crunch till all.melts ..two things I've noticed over the years ..blocked gutters and leaky joints  become lethal icicles. .other than big puddle bush icicles we must have better gutters ..I remember massive ones as a kid

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 'Big talk' weather....:-)
2 hours ago, Surrey said:

-2 again this morning.. if we can get a frost from now till it gets colder again early next week this could be the most frosts in a row here since that easterly in 2018 I think, when we had 9 days of frost albiet colder than now.

Frost staying in the shade too, even though we are now above freezing by quite a bit, in part, due to low soil temps as little or no sun this time of year in sheltered spots.

Sun is now well and truly on the gain though now. With each day adding 2 1/2 minutes of daylight . Seems like not a lot but over 30 days that's well over an hour of daylight.. by end March the days are nearly 2.5-3 hours longer than in December.

It's a shame really as we do not aline well in winter with best time of year for snow vs absoulte solar minimum. Usually February is our snowiest part of winter here. However, by late Feb we have gained well over an hour of sunlight from solar minimum on 21st December.

Many times in February despite low temperatures, if you don't have cloud cover it's drip drip of melting snow as the sun really gets to work.

These low temps would be great if we had snow on the ground.  I miss the snow....even one day would be good right now (not asking for a repeat of 2010.....too late now anyhow).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 minutes ago, scrat said:

These low temps would be great if we had snow on the ground.  I miss the snow....even one day would be good right now (not asking for a repeat of 2010.....too late now anyhow).

A repeat of Feb 2009 would be good though, or better, with last years length, had snow on the ground, with more falling for seven days last spring.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 'Big talk' weather....:-)
12 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

Time lapse of then sunset here, was a little bit late to the party

IMG_1053.MOV

I can't seem to see it?!?! 

image.thumb.png.d2464ae2bb3f9b2a5ba39ee1a78f71a7.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
Just now, scrat said:

I can't seem to see it?!?! 

image.thumb.png.d2464ae2bb3f9b2a5ba39ee1a78f71a7.png

Might have been because I tried uploading it from my phone, I'll put it on from my computer
Sunset.asf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

A proper thick frost this morning and some patchy fog. Another gloriously sunny day followed. I must agree with others that the sunrises/sunsets of the past few days have been stunning thanks to unusually gin clear skies (proper blue hues).

Tomorrow looks to be cloudier as we pick up a south westerly feed which will bring more moisture. However the sun should return once a weak cold front pushes through on Sunday.

Posted
13 hours ago, MaidenFan said:

My station is also fairly sheltered but as my garden is a a south facing sun trap it hit a high of 13.8C after a low of -0.7C, on the 12th it got even higher to 15.2c. 

Unfortunately my station needs to be located close to a fence due to the garden layout so it could have affected the high reading.

Exactly the situation here - little choice as to where to site the weather station (Mrs Stroudley didn't appreciate the idea of having it in the middle of the lawn...) I suspect there is some unavoidable radiated heat from the fence, but even so, the sun felt surprisingly warm today, even though it was so low. 

Max today: 14.5C!

Min last night: -1.7C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Another hard frost this morning on cars grass and rooftops in Locksbottom even though it only got down to -0.3.That’s 3 days on the trot we have had hard frosts and yet lowest temperature only -1.7 on Wednesday morning.THE Big plus has been the lovely sunny days and between 11-3 now there is some warmth in the sun so nice to work in.Looks like next 10 days look settled for the SE although things may become cloudier,but that is not certain.One thing we won’t be seeing is snow sadly.Maybe February will bring us some of that -It really would be frustrating if we miss out again this winter when many things seemed stacked in our favour back in November??‍♂️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
3 hours ago, Stroudley said:

Exactly the situation here - little choice as to where to site the weather station (Mrs Stroudley didn't appreciate the idea of having it in the middle of the lawn...) I suspect there is some unavoidable radiated heat from the fence, but even so, the sun felt surprisingly warm today, even though it was so low. 

Max today: 14.5C!

Min last night: -1.7C

Funny that, my low was 0.2c and my high 7.8c. Mine is also on a fance, but not in much of an open space whichmight slightly affect minimum temps potential as the airport is always lower.

Edited by Freeze

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Hard frost this morning after an overnight low of -1.9°C.  another lovely sunny day although didn't manage to get outside due to work pressures.  Top temp of 8°C at 14:43.  Currently -2°C with dewpoint of -2.5°C. Max windspeed of 2mph recorded at 14:00 from a WSW direction.  No windspeed recorded before or after that today. Pressure currently 1030.7hPa falling slowly.  Expecting more cloud tomorrow and Sunday unfortunately as the only days I'll be able to get outside during daylight hours until next weekend.  Still, the last few days of sun, frosts, clear visibility and a slight reduction in mud for pre dawn walks have been delightful, and very grateful for them. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny
On 13/01/2022 at 07:47, Eagle Eye said:

Absolutely lovely sunrise and rounded off nicely with some misty fields so far, detracts from losing my bus pass 

IMG_1010.JPG

IMG_1011.JPG

IMG_1015.JPG

So sorry that you lost your bus pass.  Did you manage to find it?  If not, how long will it take to get a replacement? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
8 hours ago, Soaring Hawk said:

So sorry that you lost your bus pass.  Did you manage to find it?  If not, how long will it take to get a replacement? 

I didn't find it unfortunately, don't know how long it'll take to get a replacement yet 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Fog formed quite quickly after dark, however whilst the fog remains, the frost has gone as the milder air has arrived at the surface.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

Much milder this morning after 6 mornings of frost….a continuous HP looks to be around at least to early Feb, This what Winter should be, cool sunny days and night frost and fog. Why the model forum yet again sulking because it’s boring and no snow….

Only downside in all this will we pay for the possibility of the lack of rain come spring, as not much looks likely in the long term in our region.

Posted

Pleased to be proven wrong about saying not sure we'd see the sun today, as the clouds are thinning and blue skies appearing with the sun shining through, nice day out there, barely any wind either, temp 6c.

• Like 2