Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model discussion - hunt for cold Christmas period 2021

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please remember this is a model based discussion - some chat is ok, but a weather model related theme should run throughout.

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family friendly

For a less frenetic look at the models head over to the alternate model discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
3 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

a pretty non eventful run so far from the 12z,high is just lurking around over the country doesnt want to move north at all

What were you expecting?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
3 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

a pretty non eventful run so far from the 12z,high is just lurking around over the country doesnt want to move north at all

Yes pulls sw and is overridden by area of low pressure. All subject to change for better or worse

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

Its all gone crap now.

It's has kind of gone down the Gary  but still chance of pulling some Heighths nnw, in theory obv.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, swfc said:

Yes pulls sw and is overridden by area of low pressure. All subject to change for better or worse

i suppose the good thing is that at 240h,the high is over us and in good positioning.so get the high in first then we can hope that it moves northwest!

• Like 2

Posted

image.thumb.png.bb2924f9bf9e0233961d539df824883d.png

The theme continues , this will do me ( look North )

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

haha better late then never

or not to have it 

Patience in these situations are needed 

• Like 1

The high pressure is very welcome, looks sunnier than our last one. 

I don't expect the high to move to a favourable position for cold. More likely another bout of zonal. But welcome for sure.

Edited by DCee

Posted
4 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

that stinking PV is a real problem isnt it!

It is but it going to be a protracted job to get any change. Hoops a plenty to jump threw on that run

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
16 minutes ago, MJB said:

image.thumb.png.bb2924f9bf9e0233961d539df824883d.png

The theme continues , this will do me ( look North )

...and then south as the limpet High fails to regress northwards.

Run after GFS run for days now with no HLB is always a worry ( a majority of winters we do get something to look at in FI), yes we have the odd Pm incursion. Doesn't look like a 2013/14 with no powerful jet on the cards but the continuation of lows well to the north and heights somewhere near the UK or to the south is hardly the stuff of dreams!

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

In the shorter term, 12z GFS has boosted the snow potential compared with 06z GFS, the example below being at T+24. Will the hi-res models follow suit?

image.thumb.png.76eebe51b5379525f21e10d3ea345a32.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual works for me...!
7 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

In the shorter term, 12z GFS has boosted the snow potential compared with 06z GFS, the example below being at T+24. Will the hi-res models follow suit?

For my Surrey location, my very accurate gut feeling says “not a chance…”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 hours ago, SLEETY said:

o

8 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

I would say that the chance is there tonight and into tomorrow morning for favoured areas with elevation to see some snowfall, but at low levels I would say there is very little chance of snow.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

I would say that the chance is there tonight and into tomorrow morning for favoured areas with elevation to see some snowfall, but at low levels I would say there is very little chance of snow.

yes pretty accurate assessment of things i would say,my location bicester is showing 1.8cm

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
19 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

Interesting thats the second time recently the GFS is showing some snow potential at very short timescales. T24 and gut feeling is that it is still not right although elevation as others say could make the difference. 

Otherwise its like deja vu again with the uk high. 

Interesting though that the vortex progged back to the ne....story continues

image.thumb.png.9103a8dfb52b0a022b91bd9a54595ce3.png

Edited by minus10
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms

Two events spring to mind:

1) January 2010 - an LP developed along the line of a south-moving weak cold front, bringing a red warning here and the heaviest snowfall for decades;

2) Last Saturday -  cold front shown/described as a "narrow weak band" by the BBC forecast only the evening before gave a few hours of torrential rain and flash flooding.

Definitely worth keeping an open mind.

Edited by The Enforcer
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
6 minutes ago, Hatewarmth said:

Hi Cuban.  Can you please explain as someone like me has no idea what it shows.  I have no understanding of charts and pick up on what other say.

going forward rather than just put this if you explain what the charts actually are showing then everyone can understand what you are posting.  Don’t mean to sound a @@@@ just think it will help numpties like me who don’t understand how to read weather charts

He’s talking about the pv purple blob leaving the nw and going east. Therefore giving opportunities for heights to build nw and the jet stream being less strong. Here are the gefs mean from 06z and 12z you can see that more of the pv is east on this run. Worth looking at future runs to see if this becomes a trend.  

There are some brilliant areas within this site to aide learning. I would encourage looking as this hobby is far more enjoyable when you start to get handle on what the charts are showing.

970E7048-B999-4C6B-9BBF-3CFA0E87B0A6.png

AD9DFAFA-D67F-43FE-B67F-1D67E6E46564.png

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 3

Posted

I do feel at the moment the models are like jigsaws packed in the wrong boxes.

what we wind up with may not necessarily be what is on the box lid…

• Like 9

Posted
2 minutes ago, Hatewarmth said:

Hi Cuban.  Can you please explain as someone like me has no idea what it shows.  I have no understanding of charts and pick up on what other say.

going forward rather than just put this if you explain what the charts actually are showing then everyone can understand what you are posting.  Don’t mean to sound a @@@@ just think it will help numpties like me who don’t understand how to read weather charts

Polar Vortex has moved from Canada to Asia. PV over Canada is usually bad news for us in Europe. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Wingman Blue said:

I do feel at the moment the models are like jigsaws packed in the wrong boxes.

what we wind up with may not necessarily be what is on the box lid…

It does feel a bit Eric Morecambe! All the right pieces but in the wrong order lol  

• Like 4