Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

Well, what a let down after a couple of classic January winter style days, overcast has returned..

The overnight low of 0.1°C at: 06:52, left a decent ground frost, in fact I was down B&Q by 8am and the car park was a skating rink, with the humidity and low temperatures. Anyway the temperatures made it up to the seasonal norm of 7.1°C at: 15:20, so the T-shirt and shorts withstood the average temperature, even though my wife came inside complaining of frozen fingers!

Still overcast, so unlikely a frost tonight unless the breeze kicks it's @rs3 , currently 6.9°C with the RH84% and a 3mph breeze in from the east..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

As posted in the volcanic thread..

baro.thumb.png.64d4cbf15736f2061dbc7120cb53207a.png

That's the shockwave from the explosion in Tonga, 10,300 miles away.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Was down Warminster way this morning a very crisp and sunny start to the day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter
30 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Have you seen the images of the explosion? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 hour ago, Rich_Clements said:

Have you seen the images of the explosion? 

I certainly have! 

Spectacular to say the least..  I expect more & more videos and images will appear over the coming days?!

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Second shock wave from the volcanic eruption came through last night..

DEEDD2BA-D981-4001-873E-6FAA9D7D26DF.thumb.jpeg.a39878efac850ab481188e15003c7034.jpeg

11 hours ago, Mapantz said:

I have learnt something new with this occurrence. We truly are only tenants on Earth aren’t we! 

• Like 2

Posted

Interesting to read the above posts about the volcano pressure spike.
Had a look at mine just after 7pm and was steady at 1024.3, a spike to 1025.7 for around half hour and then back to 1024.4

1mm rain around 1am and 2am this morning.
Now, grey, dry, 8.3c, WNW 2-4mph, 1025.2 hpa

Posted
1 hour ago, Andy Bown said:

I have learnt something new with this occurrence. We truly are only tenants on Earth aren’t we! 

And seemingly not very good ones at that either!

• Like 2

Posted

With the exception of a rain shower overnight yesterday, it's been quite nice over the past few days.

Temperatures have been somewhat on the chilly as of late but it has warmed up a tad today

Posted
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Educate me on these shock waves and how we can feel them from here?

You mean the earth didn't move for you... not ONCE but TWICE....

OOPS sorry

36 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Temp managed to get up to 11.9°C in the sunshine. Felt very nice!

You are doing well, been really cloudy here, ALTHOUGH  we did get a sunny break earlier but our best is 10.6°C at: 13:42

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Educate me on these shock waves and how we can feel them from here?

Ok, so when something goes BOOM, aka BIG bang, it makes the air particles oscillate, nudging the air particle next to it, which nudges the one next to it, and it in turn nudges the next...well you get the picture.. With such BIG bang force, pressure waves are forced out, and they figure in times of Covid, when most people need a mask to travel, "Hey s0d that, we can roam freely" so off they go in every direction, chasing atmospheric particles, which in turn ride the wave, just like they do in Cornwall, as the wave goes up, and then down..

As it happened this time, the effect for people in the UK was minimal, so using our auditory device (aka ears), the pressure change was too small for us to notice, hence we never heard the BIG bang , but as noted weather stations measure pressure anomalies were able to capture the change of the pressure wave, hence the rise (increase in pressure as the wave approaches, and a decrease in pressure as the wave goes past).

OR a simple explanation

How do pressure waves work?

Sound is produced when an object vibrates, creating a pressure wave. This pressure wave causes particles in the surrounding medium (air, water, or solid) to have vibrational motion. As the particles vibrate, they move nearby particles, transmitting the sound further through the medium.

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

You mean the earth didn't move for you... not ONCE but TWICE....

OOPS sorry

You are doing well, been really cloudy here, ALTHOUGH  we did get a sunny break earlier but our best is 10.6°C at: 13:42

Well I do have 2 kids ... So technically ... Oh hang on lol ...

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

Ok, so when something goes BOOM, aka BIG bang, it makes the air particles oscillate, nudging the air particle next to it, which nudges the one next to it, and it in turn nudges the next...well you get the picture.. With such BIG bang force, pressure waves are forced out, and they figure in times of Covid, when most people need a mask to travel, "Hey s0d that, we can roam freely" so off they go in every direction, chasing atmospheric particles, which in turn ride the wave, just like they do in Cornwall, as the wave goes up, and then down..

As it happened this time, the effect for people in the UK was minimal, so using our auditory device (aka ears), the pressure change was too small for us to notice, hence we never heard the BIG bang , but as noted weather stations measure pressure anomalies were able to capture the change of the pressure wave, hence the rise (increase in pressure as the wave approaches, and a decrease in pressure as the wave goes past).

OR a simple explanation

How do pressure waves work?

Sound is produced when an object vibrates, creating a pressure wave. This pressure wave causes particles in the surrounding medium (air, water, or solid) to have vibrational motion. As the particles vibrate, they move nearby particles, transmitting the sound further through the medium.

Got it Fred! Gotta love a Physics lesson. My Physics teacher ... Mr Aspin ... he used to be very hot he did! I liked physics me ...

• Like 1

Posted
23 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

Yea we don't pay rent ..(we do that to each other )..and nick the furniture as well ,leave nothing ..then a couple or few million years later...next people arrive ..all we have done is gone ..16000 ft.under ground..southern England is where alaska is now ..and it all starts again ..if only we paid up ..:-(   

Only joking ..I wouldn't like to be the caretaker though...:-)

• Like 1