Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
43 minutes ago, sukayuonsensnow said:

It was only briefly and nothing settled, at least not in the very NE of Hampshire. Some parts close to the M3 near Farnborough/Fleet appeared to have the heavier precipitation for longer (according to the radar) so I don't know if there was a brief dusting there.

That location tends to do well with snow (a little sweet spot!)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,
4 minutes ago, Don said:

That location tends to do well with snow (a little sweet spot!)

The M3 corridor is a good location for Thames streamers as well during an easterly cold spell (or more specifically when winds are ENE). When they happen.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Codec wants me to buy something for 79p to view that video - an extension. It can get lost pft!

Beka, I just updated my codec and it played fine (K-Lite)..

Posted
3 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

Do what we do, drive to find it, a quick trip up to Basingstroke (yes Basingstroke, as I used to live there) and just as you go over the peak before junction8 (A303), you'll find it...just past Micheldever and before it drops to Cliddsden. Dummer usually catches it.. I've seen snow drifts a good 8-10ft high up there in years GONE BY!

Indeed. In 2018 we had drifts at least 10ft high here, probably higher in places. Some were over the top of the roof of the tractor. 

The Four Marks-Shalden-Farleigh Wallop triangle is very snowy compared to other areas nearby. A little bit of elevation makes a massive difference. Also far enough from the coast plus no urban heat island effect. 
This our third falling and second laying snow of the winter. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

Do what we do, drive to find it, a quick trip up to Basingstroke (yes Basingstroke, as I used to live there) and just as you go over the peak before junction8 (A303), you'll find it...just past Micheldever and before it drops to Cliddsden. Dummer usually catches it.. I've seen snow drifts a good 8-10ft high up there in years GONE BY!

Yes,I used to take the train from Reading to Southampton and was always surprised by how snowy Basingstoke was!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

You can download HVEC for devices for free, if you search..

It's just H.265 with a fancy name.

I use VLC to watch videos I recorded, worth a download.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

You can download HVEC for devices for free, if you search..

It's just H.265 with a fancy name.

I use VLC to watch videos I recorded, worth a download.

I used to have VLC! So as I apparently now don't I now do as redownloaded. Sorted ta!

Posted

Miserable, dull and showery day yesterday, 3.7mm.
Yesterday high of 7.8c at 2pm and a drop in temp from then to a low of 2.4c at 10pm.
Rising slowly to 4c at midnight and rising through the night.

Now 10.2c, with drizzly rain since 7am, 0.8mm
1003.9 hPa
SW 15-18mph wind has picked up since 6am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Looks like some sferics off the coast of Cornwall and some hefty radar returns down there.

Here the rain has stopped, and the sky is white rather than grey.

• Like 1

Posted

Morning All, another morning in waterfall heaven, and plenty of time for 

image.png.015dc0629e6da658c5fb9df1ffb025a1.png

In between soaking one and soaking two...

image.thumb.png.9313612383f1f6c22c588072e25355b6.png

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Morning!

Wet & windy again. 10.6°C

@Dorsetbred Have you got your soil temp probes up and running yet? 

@Mapantz, ahhhh no. I looked at the soil moisture probe and it seems to need nurturing into deployment, soak, then dry, then soak. If it's dry tomorrow, I'm intending on hitting the garden, so will be aiming to deploy tomorrow. And you?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

@Mapantz, ahhhh no. I looked at the soil moisture probe and it seems to need nurturing into deployment, soak, then dry, then soak. If it's dry tomorrow, I'm intending on hitting the garden, so will be aiming to deploy tomorrow. And you?

Yep - All up and running!

I've changed my set up somewhat.. I am doing away with the data logger that is connected to my Davis console, and switching over to the WeatherLink Live for data logging, as Cumulus MX can decode the information via my local network. It means buying a pro subscription from Davis for download of historical data if the software is closed down for a period of time,  but there are a multitude of benefits. For instance, the soil temperature probe data via a Davis console only has a resolution of 0.5°C, so you'll only see updates such 10.5°C dropping to 10°C or rising to 11°C - that's the limitation of the console. Using WeatherLink Live, it offers a 0.1°C resolution, so you'll get updates faster. The same scenario occurs for the soil moisture and leaf wetness sensors. Also, the AirLink historical data can be downloaded if the software is shut for any period of time and then reopened. There's no way of doing that without a WeatherLink live, so that's handy to have.

Despite paying for the subscription, I think using a WeatherLink live will be far more reliable for my set up. It also means I can place my Davis console somewhere else, without having it tethered to my mini-pc.

I'm still in the process of developing a newer website too.. It'll be responsive, so it'll work for mobiles & tablets, as well as big screens - bringing it more up to date basically. I'm 75% done with it, so not long until I put it live.

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Yep - All up and running!

I've changed my set up somewhat.. I am doing away with the data logger that is connected to my Davis console, and switching over to the WeatherLink Live for data logging, as Cumulus MX can decode the information via my local network. It means buying a pro subscription from Davis for download of historical data if the software is closed down for a period of time,  but there are a multitude of benefits. For instance, the soil temperature probe data via a Davis console only has a resolution of 0.5°C, so you'll only see updates such 10.5°C dropping to 10°C or rising to 11°C - that's the limitation of the console. Using WeatherLink Live, it offers a 0.1°C resolution, so you'll get updates faster. The same scenario occurs for the soil moisture and leaf wetness sensors. Also, the AirLink historical data can be downloaded if the software is shut for any period of time and then reopened. There's no way of doing that without a WeatherLink live, so that's handy to have.

Despite paying for the subscription, I think using a WeatherLink live will be far more reliable for my set up. It also means I can place my Davis console somewhere else, without having it tethered to my mini-pc.

I'm still in the process of developing a newer website too.. It'll be responsive, so it'll work for mobiles & tablets, as well as big screens - bringing it more up to date basically. I'm 75% done with it, so not long until I put it live.

Sounds good, I've just found out to add the moisture sensor is going to cost me £265, as it needs the leaf moisture station, so I think I may bottle at this point, as the current soil sensor is RJ45 and the moisture sensor is 2-wire. I have the soil temp in a multi sensor transmitter, but to rejig, means a large outlay just to measure soil moisture. Might well end up trying to sell the soil moisture sensor on..

Posted

A truly stunning morning, how frustrating to see pressure rising yet fronts stuck over us for at least the next few days!!!!! Gloom and drizzle and mild, err, hooray, not!!! 

Posted

Morning All, some sunshine after yesterday's deluge(s), after an overnight low of 1.9°C at: 03:50, currently 7.3°C and RH83% with a 10mph breeze in from the NW..

Busy this morning on the beach

image.thumb.png.f10f55cff8be27609c1b065adaf96035.png

• Like 1