Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe

Not a bad temperature today in North Somerset, lowish twenties with a nice breeze.

xcweather is trying to frighten me for this coming Monday, it has the temperature for Bristol Airport as getting up to 37 degrees. That would put Bristol city centre even higher, given the elevation of the airport and how it is typically 1-2 degrees cooler there most times of the year.

Bristol's record temperature is 34 degrees I believe, so I'm finding this prediction a little exaggerated.

Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 14.04.03.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

We need you to walk us round with a video so we can see it in full. Pop a video on ...

May do that at some point!

Here's an image of the top half - work still going on.

I took down a massive conifer behind the red Acer tree as it just got too big and started swallowing everything up.

20220714_141505.thumb.jpg.adf417bdccf939511038bf922e6ea30e.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Mapantz said:

I took down a massive conifer behind the red Acer tree as it just got too big and started swallowing everything up.

I didn't know you could have acers in water! I've had a few acers and love them so much. But they always die 😞

Posted
Just now, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I didn't know you could have acers in water! I've had a few acers and love them so much. But they always die 😞

Haha

It's growing from a patch of dirt on the other side of the pond. It hangs over by about 5 feet. That tree is about 30 years old now.

• Thanks 1

Posted

If the models are to be believed Mon to perhaps Weds appear to be an outside workers definition of Hell on Earth..lots of indoor jobs too pub kitchens ect not too much in the way of laws to protect them

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I've just bought a new acer to add to my collection, Acer Palmatum Ukigumo, had to hunt for a a bigger potted version but found one, now waiting for delivery, they look gorgeous.

image.thumb.png.4ec5da0ae28d053adad6b5276a202bd9.png

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

So when is the privileged Netweather SW & CSE users open day? Looks good, a fine BBQ, or we do a crawl, so:

Kings Arms

Duke of Wellington

Horse and Groom

And we finish up at

The Quay Inn and then fall in the river to cool off..

• Thanks 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, jy said:

If the models are to be believed Mon to perhaps Weds appear to be an outside workers definition of Hell on Earth..lots of indoor jobs too pub kitchens ect not too much in the way of laws to protect them

Garden is on hold until something a little cooler, plants dying, water company moaning (but still prepared to charge megabucks for water). When it get's cooler I shall return. Meanwhile back to the shower cubicle, grouting and prep for the shower install.

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Once planted in its spot, keep your acer's roots cool and moist but never waterlogged.

Like Mapantz, I have had ours for 30+ years, had one I planted in my previous house for 5 years and my dad had one for 8 years before he died. I love em, i have different colours and they are great in autumn (see my previous post on my latest acquisition). I have all mine in BIG pots (120ltr+)as the soil is so poor just here, the potted approach works. Mapantz has good soil it seems, so can get them to grow in the ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter
20 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Ukigumo, 

image.thumb.png.4ec5da0ae28d053adad6b5276a202bd9.png

That sounds like a new weather model 😆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Once planted in its spot, keep your acer's roots cool and moist but never waterlogged.

Like Mapantz, I have had ours for 30+ years, had one I planted in my previous house for 5 years and my dad had one for 8 years before he died. I love em, i have different colours and they are great in autumn (see my previous post on my latest acquisition). I have all mine in BIG pots (120ltr+)as the soil is so poor just here, the potted approach works. Mapantz has good soil it seems, so can get them to grow in the ground.

Mine were potted too. How many cm across are your pots? Would they live ok in 50cm?

Posted
20 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Mine were potted too. How many cm across are your pots? Would they live ok in 50cm?

My oldest acer is currently in a 75cm pot. They arrived predrilled, so I then pack them with thick plastic sheet to build a 8cm base which once it overflows means the bottom of the pot remains wet but stays constant with water. If you want the supplier for a pot let me know.

29 minutes ago, Rich_Clements said:

That sounds like a new weather model 😆

It is a new tree, (and quite difficult to get hold of) so fingers crossed, I've never grown one of these before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Crackin' on weather wise we are 26.9°C at: 14:31, the breeze has dropped (sadly, it was lovely), RH42%, and the breeze still from the N around 8mph...

image.thumb.png.3764142147150dbebaf49b612331ad5d.png

Posted

Problem Dorset im a gardener lol..love my job but difficult few days

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, jy said:

Problem Dorset im a gardener lol..love my job but difficult few days

Yes can appreciate that, a lot in here are of a similar ilk  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Temperature here is almost the same inside /outside at 26.4C/26.5C.

Nice to feel slightly cooler today with a little breeze at times. Must be getting a bit accustomed to the heat now I think.

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

They hate being exposed to wind too. 

We've had them struggling out the back, but then thriving when we've moved the pots to the sheltered front garden.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

That's where I went wrong. Plant 1 was north facing outside the back door. And plant B was south facing but not watered enough!

Posted
11 minutes ago, jtay said:

They hate being exposed to wind too. 

We've had them struggling out the back, but then thriving when we've moved the pots to the sheltered front garden.

Yup, they hate a dose of wind! Some are hardy, but the others hate the wind it burns the leaves something chronic.

• Like 1

Posted

My own forecast is going for 36°C on Tuesday. My record is 32.7°C.

340348092_Screenshot_20220714-183923_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.9a124922912b3cfc178d8631622b7edf.jpg

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
9 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Thank you.

Quite lucky to have a decent sized garden, which I've split in two. I've done a huge amount of work over the last few years, most of it unnecessary, but I keep coming up with new ideas every time spring arrives. 😅

its looks tidy mate fair play