Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

It's taken most the day, but it just struggled up to 24.9°C at: 17:19, under clearing skies, becoming a Groundhog day sequence, starts clear early AM, clouds over, breaks late Pm, evening clear skies..

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
1 hour ago, Dorsetbred said:

It's taken most the day, but it just struggled up to 24.9°C at: 17:19, under clearing skies, becoming a Groundhog day sequence, starts clear early AM, clouds over, breaks late Pm, evening clear skies..

24.3 here. That's 2 days in a row your temp has done better than mine!

Posted
43 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

24.3 here. That's 2 days in a row your temp has done better than mine!

I'm sure you'll be back in the number 1 place next week

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

25.1°C today. Flying ants have emerged!

Flying ant day here too. Lovely evening.

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

25.1°C today. Flying ants have emerged!

Same here. Sent a few to their maker, on bus stop, as i was waiting for bus home

• Like 1

Posted

And here come the Swallows and House Martins to hoover them up. Loads of them.

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, jtay said:

And here come the Swallows and House Martins to hoover them up. Loads of them.

One of my local life's great mysteries. We havent seen Swallows and House Martins (or Swifts) in large numbers here for years. Really strange, as i remember my childhood and into my 20s seeing 000s every Summer, when i used to live over East side of Bristol and its outskirts.

Here though, none. When we moved here in '98 we had loads of finches, as well. Today, it is just sparrows, blackbirds, pigeons, seagulls and loads of Magpies. I did read somewhere that local grey squirrels can decimate finches in egg-laying season. Then the finches exit the area completely.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

One of my local life's great mysteries. We havent seen Swallows and House Martins (or Swifts) in large numbers here for years. Really strange, as i remember my childhood and into my 20s seeing 000s every Summer, when i used to live over East side of Bristol and its outskirts.

Here though, none. When we moved here in '98 we had loads of finches, as well. Today, it is just sparrows, blackbirds, pigeons, seagulls and loads of Magpies. I did read somewhere that local grey squirrels can decimate finches in egg-laying season. Then the finches exit the area completely.

Didn't there used to be hundreds of them gathering along telegraph wires, when we were kids, Si? Whether or not it's my imagination, they have mostly disappeared.  . . Maybe they've all emigrated to Scotland?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

Didn't there used to be hundreds of them gathering along telegraph wires, when we were kids, Si? Whether or not it's my imagination, they have mostly disappeared.  . . Maybe they've all emigrated to Scotland?

Sure did, Pete. This is the time of the evening i used to hear the swifts 'screaming' as they wizzed between the houses. I'm sat in garden right now, clear blue sky and none to be seen. Very sad.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Bristle Si said:

There are Swifts here too, but all three are slightly down this year. I wonder if they simply move further North, these days.

Although it was the opposite down South at Mum's nr Fawley, when we had to move there for a week recently. No memory of them as a youngster down there, but loads screeching and flitting around the houses these days.

The Swift numbers will increase here towards the end of the Summer when all the males get together, before heading South.

Cuckoo's are a different matter, mind you. Keep being told they're declining. Never heard, or seen so many as this year.

• Like 1

Posted

Now dozens of them are seeing off a Hobby that's just dared to breeze in looking for it's tea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe
2 hours ago, jtay said:

There are Swifts here too, but all three are slightly down this year. I wonder if they simply move further North, these days.

Although it was the opposite down South at Mum's nr Fawley, when we had to move there for a week recently. No memory of them as a youngster down there, but loads screeching and flitting around the houses these days.

The Swift numbers will increase here towards the end of the Summer when all the males get together, before heading South.

Cuckoo's are a different matter, mind you. Keep being told they're declining. Never heard, or seen so many as this year.

My partner will be very jealous, she loves the sound of cuckoos. We've not heard one in our area in around 8 years. That one kept going night and day!

• Like 1

Posted

Morning All, rinse and repeat, clear skies this morning, with the overnight low of 12.2°C at: 04:13, RH91% and no breeze, let’s see what it’s like in a few hours!

Posted

I am stunned! I woke up at 3:45, and then decided to get up at 4:30, the sky was crystal clear AND IT STILL IS! After the last few days this has broken the trend. Completed the weekly shop, and now time to pick fruit.

At sea level wall to wall blue skies

image.thumb.png.b179ff9253b2a9d0b9e9456ada074556.png

As is often heard "Oh look, you can see France over there!" Hmm, actually it's the Isle of Wight

image.thumb.png.095c3fdc04feaf2cbf76aafc1fbbd66e.png

From above a Beka kind of day

image.thumb.png.c1114bf4d9b79723821c31a16d3e8bfd.png

Meanwhile the temperature has risen nicely to 21.6°C, with the RH71% and light air movement picked up over the last hour from the N.

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Very sunny here. A few Cumulus knocking around but very minimal.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Yesterday afternoon turned into a corker, and today has been a corker since moment one. Summer at last! 

• Thanks 1

Posted

24c, sunny, a few small clouds, a nice fresh abd dry heat. Perfect weather and temps for uk. If temps stay around 24-26c during the daytime over coming week it'll be so much bearable than into the 30s

• Thanks 1

Posted

Oooh look at it out there! Mumma is happy! Time to wash some duvets and get them on the line!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Feels hot enough out there today, hate to think how it'll feel over the coming days with temps rising. So important to have shallow bowls of water in the garden for wildlife too in hot dry spells like this, got lots of house sparrows having cool baths & drinking & over night quite a few hedgehogs having a long drink, leaving water out can really be a life saver for them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Smartie said:

Feels hot enough out there today, hate to think how it'll feel over the coming days with temps rising. So important to have shallow bowls of water in the garden for wildlife too in hot dry spells like this, got lots of house sparrows having cool baths & drinking & over night quite a few hedgehogs having a long drink, leaving water out can really be a life saver for them. 

Three water features serve the birds (and frog) in our garden. Never had a hedgehog in 12 years, which is a shame!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

28.4°C here. That's with the fan aspiration kit I added earlier in the year. Not too shabby!