Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2022 Chat

Message added by Paul,

Want to have a moan about the weather? Please head over to the Spring / Summer weather moans thread

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Got to say that thus far nothing this month has made it worthy of the noteworthy 13C+ finish but statistics don't lie.

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, kieranweatherfan said:

Exactly we could reach mid twenties at times here in the south east glorious

The date records for this stage in May are generally below 30c, so mid twenties is good going!  I think sometimes people get a bit carried away with  their expectations. Anything north of 20c in mid May is well ahead of the curve, enjoy it folks.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, kieranweatherfan said:

I also have to say, the outlook is considerably better than may 2021 which had mostly below average conditions, this year the outlook continues with above average conditions! And with unsettled weather, should give plenty of good growing conditions which i imagine will keep a lot of gardeners happy 

Last May was beyond awful. Cloudy and cold and only a few sunny warm days towards the end. Even May 20th-24th was still cold.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, kieranweatherfan said:

Still potentially reaching the mid 20s across the south east through early next week! Would imagine somewhere will reach 25° Monday or Tuesday, but even after that, above average temps still forecast for the foreseeable especially across the south east, remember the may average is 17 for London! So having temps low 20s is still very warm for the time of year 

Yes it’s above average,  but it needs to be sunny to benefit from it.

Last summer was warm at times but way too many days were a cloudy mess, and it felt like autumn. 

• Like 2

Posted
16 hours ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Let me guess....you're in the south east  

The 30c in September is a waste if the summer as a whole has been a crapfest, which 2021 was. 2020 wasn’t much better in the main, so for me a sunny warm September isn’t enough to make up for a poor June to August period, especially if sunshine levels are poor.

South East usually fairs better, but the last couple of summers and 2019 have been poor in London. Many dull summer days and the Augusts have been woeful.

I think I replied to the wrong poster lol.

Edited by Sunny76

9 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

The 30c in September is a waste if the summer as a whole has been a crapfest, which 2021 was. 2020 wasn’t much better in the main, so for me a sunny warm September isn’t enough to make up for a poor June to August period, especially if sunshine levels are poor.

South East usually fairs better, but the last couple of summers and 2019 have been poor in London. Many dull summer days and the Augusts have been woeful.

I think I replied to the wrong poster lol.

Nothing wasteful about 30 in September! Absolutely perfect! All kids back to school workers working! Gives plenty of time to get out and do things without having to go out during the 6 weeks school holidays, so really don’t mind august being poor, would rather a hot September when it’s quiet 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, kieranweatherfan said:

Nothing wasteful about 30 in September! Absolutely perfect! All kids back to school workers working! Gives plenty of time to get out and do things without having to go out during the 6 weeks school holidays, so really don’t mind august being poor, would rather a hot September when it’s quiet 

Fair enough, but the drawback is the evenings drawing in. The summer feel has gone by September for me.

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, reef said:

If anything, we're currently having a very warm May. The CET is running at 12.7C and thats before the warmer spell over the next few days. Quite a good chance this month will finish somewhere in the 13s.

A very warm May doesn’t necessarily mean a good one, if it’s unsettled.

So far it’s been a slight improvement on 2021, and I can’t say anything about this past week, as I’ve been out of the country. 

Still plenty of time for proper hot sunny weather to develop, and it’s always welcome during the second half of May, as daylight hours are at a premium. Long sunny spells in June would be also great, with long clear spells into the evenings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 hours ago, reef said:

If anything, we're currently having a very warm May. The CET is running at 12.7C and thats before the warmer spell over the next few days. Quite a good chance this month will finish somewhere in the 13s.

May could end up bringing an unusual combination warm wet and cloudy.. many an August does this bit not May. I want sunshine and dry weather in May rather than just warmth and temps are being kept high because there has been nothing cold or coolat night..  daytime maxima very average so far. A few days of high teen maxima  doesnt cut the mustard in May. Many warm May's have produced high maxima and cool minima. Not a fan of warm months slightly high maxima but very high minima skew the mean.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I have been enjoying spring 2022 and have had very little to moan about. Daytime temps have been pleasant most of the time and we've had some sunny days interspersed by rainy periods which have overall made for reasonable growing conditions. A little drier than average, but not exceptionally so.

I am looking forward to seeing what the final few weeks of the season brings, including the prospect of thunderstorms tomorrow.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
22 hours ago, damianslaw said:

May could end up bringing an unusual combination warm wet and cloudy.. many an August does this bit not May. I want sunshine and dry weather in May rather than just warmth and temps are being kept high because there has been nothing cold or coolat night..  daytime maxima very average so far. A few days of high teen maxima  doesnt cut the mustard in May. Many warm May's have produced high maxima and cool minima. Not a fan of warm months slightly high maxima but very high minima skew the mean.

What's interesting is down here it's been very dry, I'd say we've had maybe 2-3mm in the last 30 days. Indeed many lakes are starting to look very dried up, much more than I've seen since probably July 2018. I admit this is locally and we'd be highly unlikely not to get a good soaking in the next 3-4 days based on predictions.

Still going to have to have a very wet last 1/2 to get a wet month here, locally again.

Posted

It was the first 20C+ day of the year for us today with a max of 21.3C. It took a while to get going though, with stubborn cloud that took until early-afternoon to clear.

It remains very dry for us too, with less than 20mm in the last two months. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Very mild nights for the foreseeable.  If that continues along with daytime highs of high teens to low twenties then a CET approaching 14°C doesn't look out of the question.  Would be exceptional since we haven't have a CET warmer for well over a hundred years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
21 hours ago, Earthshine said:

Very mild nights for the foreseeable.  If that continues along with daytime highs of high teens to low twenties then a CET approaching 14°C doesn't look out of the question.  Would be exceptional since we haven't have a CET warmer for well over a hundred years.

Surprising that this May could break the record. Granted it's been what I'd call thoroughly mild (as in persistently a couple of degrees above average, both day and night) but there has been little in the way of really warm weather. It certainly feels much less exceptional than 1989, 1992 or 2018 for instance - or even 1998, 2001 or 2004.

But I guess it's warm nights skewing things. Seems to be the form-horse for the summer months nowadays. Unexceptional daytime temps (and often decidedly cool in July and August), but very warm nights thanks to high-DP air and cloudiness.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted

Yes, it’s similar to a high CET winter month in that it may feel unexceptional but the mild nights push the CET well above average.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
On 13/05/2022 at 14:57, kieranweatherfan said:

It is to an extent when you have a day job and the sun is going down when you get home. Being in the SE you can almost guarentee the 30C if it happens will arrive between Mon and Thu and it will break down into a clag/drizzle-fest 15C come the weekend.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
On 13/05/2022 at 16:28, Sunny76 said:

A very warm May doesn’t necessarily mean a good one, if it’s unsettled.

So far it’s been a slight improvement on 2021, and I can’t say anything about this past week, as I’ve been out of the country.

That wouldn't be difficult here in Sussex. Last May was dreadful, a punishment for the sunny April.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 01/05/2022 at 19:31, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Whilst April this year was dry, unlike the previous two Aprils it wasn't expcetionally so as we did have a few showery days during the first half of the month. For my neck of the woods at least, it was only really from around Easter onwards that it became dry. Up until then it was a bit of a mixed bag. 

Overall, a pleasant April with some nice sunny days and a few showery ones here and there early on.

Although we’ve had 3 very dry April’s, the temperatures have been very different. April 2020 was very warm, April 2021 was cold and this April has been around average.

Overall it’s not been a bad spring, quite a bit of sunshine and not too much rain. Temperatures above average but I don’t think I’ve had a maximum temperature exceeding 20C, and the longer it stays that way, the better (I don’t like heat).

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

I think the one word I would use to describe this spring is "mild". Not warm, but mild. That's unusual in itself in that "mild" is usually only a word used to describe the weather from October to March. There have been a very large number of days maybe 2C above average, many mild nights, but few really, really warm days. Noteworthy also for an almost complete failure of the typical spring northerlies, except for perhaps 5 days at the end of March/beginning of April.

The sunshine from around mid March to around a week ago was definitely welcome. However the downside of the protracted mildness is that nature is ahead of itself, which means that, unless we get a potent cool spell soon, we'll transition to the jaded mid/late summer look of nature before time.

The feeling right now is more first half of June (albeit a rather unsettled first half of June) than mid May.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted
26 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

I think the one word I would use to describe this spring is "mild". Not warm, but mild. That's unusual in itself in that "mild" is usually only a word used to describe the weather from October to March. There have been a very large number of days maybe 2C above average, many mild nights, but few really, really warm days. Noteworthy also for an almost complete failure of the typical spring northerlies, except for perhaps 5 days at the end of March/beginning of April.

The sunshine from around mid March to around a week ago was definitely welcome. However the downside of the protracted mildness is that nature is ahead of itself, which means that, unless we get a potent cool spell soon, we'll transition to the jaded mid/late summer look of nature before time.

The feeling right now is more first half of June (albeit a rather unsettled first half of June) than mid May.

Again its all about perception, which is often incorrect. The raw data shows if the CET of May finished on the current 12.7C (and it'll likely be higher looking at things), then it would be the 7th warmest spring in the CET series.

There haven't been many exceptional days, but the mean maximum anomalies for this Spring are considerably higher than mean minimum anomalies.

Mean Max:

March: 12.4C (+3.3C)
April: 14.1C (+2.2C)
May: 17.1C (+1.5C) to the 14th

Mean Min:

March: 3.6C (+1.3C)
April: 4.3C (+0.3C)
May: 8.3C (+1.6C) to the 14th

In many ways its similar to Spring 2009, just consistently above average but with no extremes.

• Like 2

Posted
27 minutes ago, reef said:

Again its all about perception, which is often incorrect. The raw data shows if the CET of May finished on the current 12.7C (and it'll likely be higher looking at things), then it would be the 7th warmest spring in the CET series.

There haven't been many exceptional days, but the mean maximum anomalies for this Spring are considerably higher than mean minimum anomalies.

Mean Max:

March: 12.4C (+3.3C)
April: 14.1C (+2.2C)
May: 17.1C (+1.5C) to the 14th

Mean Min:

March: 3.6C (+1.3C)
April: 4.3C (+0.3C)
May: 8.3C (+1.6C) to the 14th

In many ways its similar to Spring 2009, just consistently above average but with no extremes.

Interesting - so it looks like I was correct in my assessment of days "about 2C above average" for April, at least, but March was warmer still. Surprised April nights were only marginally above average, though.

May looks mild so far both day and night, perhaps expected given the frequent SW-ly winds of the past week or so.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1