Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2022 Chat

Message added by Paul,

Want to have a moan about the weather? Please head over to the Spring / Summer weather moans thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
On 22/04/2022 at 18:23, damianslaw said:

April often driest month of the year, makes sense, polar vortex collapses, Atlantic at its quietest and the cold lag effect prevents significant humid warm air to build and heavy convection. 

Even taking climatology into account these last three Aprils have been ridiculously dry. I suspect the return period of getting three consecutive Aprils as dry as 2020-2022 must be enormous. Looking at the HadUKP timeseries for England and Wales back to 1766, eight out of the last 15 years have seen April rainfall in the lower quartile (i.e. twice as frequently as you would expect), so the blocking seems to have become stronger/longer lasting over the last couple of decades.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Just over an hour until May 1st, and an unusual-ish stat from my weather station.. January 1st still holds this years record for the highest minimum temperature at 12.2°C.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
13 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Just over an hour until May 1st, and an unusual-ish stat from my weather station.. January 1st still holds this years record for the highest minimum temperature at 12.2°C.

Yes, its the same here with 11.1C on 1st January. There hasn't been a min in double figures here since then.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Whilst April this year was dry, unlike the previous two Aprils it wasn't expcetionally so as we did have a few showery days during the first half of the month. For my neck of the woods at least, it was only really from around Easter onwards that it became dry. Up until then it was a bit of a mixed bag. 

Overall, a pleasant April with some nice sunny days and a few showery ones here and there early on.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
On 01/05/2022 at 12:20, reef said:

Yes, its the same here with 11.1C on 1st January. There hasn't been a min in double figures here since then.

Same here as well no minimum has been above 12c since NYD. I will say though that the upper quartile edge is the same in early January as it is in early April. 

In early winter the colder nights are colder but warm nights (under cloudy tropical maritime) are warmer. 

December 2015 in many places had a higher overall minima than June 2016!

• Like 1

Posted
19 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Whilst April this year was dry, unlike the previous two Aprils it wasn't expcetionally so as we did have a few showery days during the first half of the month. For my neck of the woods at least, it was only really from around Easter onwards that it became dry. Up until then it was a bit of a mixed bag. 

Overall, a pleasant April with some nice sunny days and a few showery ones here and there early on.

Agreed, it was quite a nice month.

Here it was generally dry with some showers here and there, but I did enjoyed having a sunbathe here and there ☀️.

Will May be different?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, Bradley in Kent said:

Same here as well no minimum has been above 12c since NYD. I will say though that the upper quartile edge is the same in early January as it is in early April. 

In early winter the colder nights are colder but warm nights (under cloudy tropical maritime) are warmer. 

December 2015 in many places had a higher overall minima than June 2016!

not had a min temp in double figures here since August 15th 2021..usally the next one turns up around 1st or 2nd week of June

• Like 1

Posted

After a cold April it's turned quite warm and thundery here. Some nice bubbly convective cloudscapes about today.

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

It's looking like the three month spring period as a whole will be a good one for the UK.

Above average sunshine in March and April. March CET +2.2, April CET +1.2c, and May starting well also looking like having a good proportion of nice weather (second half of the month to be determined of course).

All eye on what summer holds! Only 3 weeks away...

• Like 1

Posted

Last night's rain band gave nothing measurable yet again here. We've had only 15.0mm since 18th March!

The spring as a whole has only had 34.8mm so far.

Strangely for such a dry and sunny spring, there has still been no 20C yet this year, just 19.6C so far (yesterday).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

With the Atlantic looking more progressive in recent model runs it will be interesting to see if we continue to avoid 25C.

On 10/05/2022 at 18:20, summer blizzard said:

With the Atlantic looking more progressive in recent model runs it will be interesting to see if we continue to avoid 25C.

This is looking more and more likely, most places will avoid 20C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
4 minutes ago, kieranweatherfan said:

Even September! Reached 30° here in September last year and the year before, still loads and loads of time for proper heat! May is already above average anyway!!!!!

Let me guess....you're in the south east  

• Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I know what the poster means though, all to often we are on the cusp of some beautiful very warm sunny weather only for it to be over the channel in France within hands reach, it sucks as it happens alot.  its alright for the south east  England as they usually still do benefit from being nearer the continent.  The southwest is like the poor sister of the south east lol  Even during warm periods of weather, often the south east will be several degrees warmer than the south west!  Though I'm not going to complain about any rain the next week as the gardens really do need it after 5 very dry months but I am hoping the weather doesn't do a switch around to several wet months just in time for summer, it would be sods law and bloody typical! 

Dry season mid Feb to mid May it seems... 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
2 hours ago, kieranweatherfan said:

Yes lol Greater London so pretty used to the heat down here, if it plays ball can be a long summer! Already countless days at 20° and above 

And you pinch all the thunderstorms too ??‍♀️  We’ve hovered in the high teens but think only one or two days it got to 20c.

Posted

Maybe it's shaping up to become the 2nd may month since 2000 without a single 20c day here, looks pretty bad with 14-16c daytime maxes at the end of may.

It's horrific.png.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
7 minutes ago, Faronstream said:

Maybe it's shaping up to become the 2nd may month since 2000 without a single 20c day here, looks pretty bad with 14-16c daytime maxes at the end of may.

It's horrific.png.png

My daughter who lives in Stockholm reports cold windy conditions for much of this month so far. Longing for some warm  

C

Posted

I think a cooler May might be a good omen for a better later summer. 

I’ll take a less settled May, if it means we get a hot sunny August, and even then the nights are still long enough, despite the fact we are losing the light as a noticeable pace by the middle of the month. 

Still potentially reaching the mid 20s across the south east through early next week! Would imagine somewhere will reach 25° Monday or Tuesday, but even after that, above average temps still forecast for the foreseeable especially across the south east, remember the may average is 17 for London! So having temps low 20s is still very warm for the time of year 

• Like 4

I also have to say, the outlook is considerably better than may 2021 which had mostly below average conditions, this year the outlook continues with above average conditions! And with unsettled weather, should give plenty of good growing conditions which i imagine will keep a lot of gardeners happy 

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I think a cooler May might be a good omen for a better later summer. 

I’ll take a less settled May, if it means we get a hot sunny August, and even then the nights are still long enough, despite the fact we are losing the light as a noticeable pace by the middle of the month. 

If anything, we're currently having a very warm May. The CET is running at 12.7C and thats before the warmer spell over the next few days. Quite a good chance this month will finish somewhere in the 13s.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

Looks great to me, at least for the South East. Maybe some variability and a bit of rain along the way, which would be great - otherwise, plenty of warmth and sunshine. Elsewhere it looks a bit marginal, but plenty will do just fine over the next 7-10 days. 

Not sure why there is so much gloom over the model outputs. A few days ago it looked like we might lose everything, but things have turned back our way.

Exactly we could reach mid twenties at times here in the south east glorious