Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2022 Chat

Message added by Paul,

Want to have a moan about the weather? Please head over to the Spring / Summer weather moans thread

Posted
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

So glad I decided to fly off to the med for early June.

I can’t take another poor summer, especially after the rotten 2021 in the London region.

Glad I’ll be having 27c-30c and long dry sunny spells.

Its a real shame if we don’t get at a few weeks of sunny dry days between now and early July, as this is the period of optimal daylight hours. 

Late sunsets were in short supply last year, apart from that 2 and a half week period in late May to mid June. And the only other being the late July hot and sunny spell.

Yep agree off too sunny beach Bulgaria in early June.soo looking forward too it after 2years feeding the nation , and home caring a 86 year old.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Remember how summer 1995 started, lots of northerly and easterly winds, and temps barely into double figures on some days.. just saying  

• Like 2

Posted
55 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

Remember how summer 1995 started, lots of northerly and easterly winds, and temps barely into double figures on some days.. just saying  

This came into my mind yesterday, I recall a sunny day in the June which had 10c on those 90s style BBC tv forecasts. 

• Like 1

Posted

Thank god I’m going to southern France in august so I can actually have some summer weather this year.

Why is it that when dreadful weather is shown at day 10 it always verifies but good weather (heat or snow) never does? 

• Like 3

Posted
11 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

So glad I decided to fly off to the med for early June.

I can’t take another poor summer, especially after the rotten 2021 in the London region.

Glad I’ll be having 27c-30c and long dry sunny spells.

Its a real shame if we don’t get at a few weeks of sunny dry days between now and early July, as this is the period of optimal daylight hours. 

Late sunsets were in short supply last year, apart from that 2 and a half week period in late May to mid June. And the only other being the late July hot and sunny spell.

Remember the solstice last year? Wasn’t it 12 degrees with roaring wind and rain? Worst summer I can remember. 2007 at least had some storms. 2021 was just absolutely dreadful (when looked at in combination with the awful spring).

Posted
7 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

As so the ens to a degree ( or at least begins hints).. as a few other starting to carry the same battern!!.. I get the feeling this will be a creep into heat scenario here..

E00205B2-C36B-4658-9A0B-4A31CC371A60.png

All the time that heat lurks over North Africa/Spain, we are potentially in the firing line!

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, Azazel said:

Remember the solstice last year? Wasn’t it 12 degrees with roaring wind and rain? Worst summer I can remember. 2007 at least had some storms. 2021 was just absolutely dreadful (when looked at in combination with the awful spring).

I don' t remember much about summer 2007, apart from long periods of dull rainy cool and humid days mixed in.

I think I was away in July 2007, up in Scotland, and that might have been the time when storms hit the south.

2021 was hot and sunny during the first half of June, and I thought we were finally in for a good summer, but by the 15th or so it was cloudy and cool. 

This was during the Euros, although the first England game against Croatia was hot.

Posted
27 minutes ago, Don said:

All the time that heat lurks over North Africa/Spain, we are potentially in the firing line!

It isn't even that far away. France has been very hot recently.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
31 minutes ago, chapmanslade said:

It isn't even that far away. France has been very hot recently.

Sadly that doesn't mean much. It can be hot across the channel and nothing like it here.
June 2019 was a record breaker in France and much of Europe, and pretty poor here (see Trevor Harley's write up below).

June. Record-breakingly hot in Europe, but changeable here. Overall the mean temperature was close to average. After a warm start it turned cool and wet, very wet in Lincolnshire, particularly between the 10th and 13th, with cool NE winds, causing local flooding. 74.6 mm rain fell at Wainfleet (Lincs.) on the 10-11th. The final third of the month was warmer and more humid, with some thunder. The 29th (extremely hot in Europe with a Saharan plume) was very hot. Sunshine was 95% of average, dull in the Midlands and West, but sunnier than average in eastern Scotland and the north of England. The highest temperature of the month was 34.0C at Heathrow and Northolt (London) on the 29th.

Posted
1 hour ago, Don said:

I’m no expert but doesn’t heat always lurk in North Africa and Spain in June? 

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

Sadly that doesn't mean much. It can be hot across the channel and nothing like it here.
June 2019 was a record breaker in France and much of Europe, and pretty poor here (see Trevor Harley's write up below).

I think that was a bit of a freak occurrence though. Yes it is possible for northern France to sizzle while we miss out completely, but I don't think it's as common as many make out on here.

Obviously if France is hot it gives us a better chance of being hot too.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
16 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

I think that was a bit of a freak occurrence though. Yes it is possible for northern France to sizzle while we miss out completely, but I don't think it's as common as many make out on here.

Obviously if France is hot it gives us a better chance of being hot too.

Aye, Scorcher: it's far too early to be writing off the upcoming summer -- even the real experts aren't doing that. Yet!

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, HellItsHot said:

I’m no expert but doesn’t heat always lurk in North Africa and Spain in June? 

Of course, but the heat has built early this year and in recent years during Spanish plumes, parts of the UK have experienced record breaking hot temperatures even if only brief, so what I said before is feasible.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, mb018538 said:

June. Record-breakingly hot in Europe, but changeable here. Overall the mean temperature was close to average. After a warm start it turned cool and wet, very wet in Lincolnshire, particularly between the 10th and 13th, with cool NE winds, causing local flooding. 74.6 mm rain fell at Wainfleet (Lincs.) on the 10-11th. The final third of the month was warmer and more humid, with some thunder. The 29th (extremely hot in Europe with a Saharan plume) was very hot. Sunshine was 95% of average, dull in the Midlands and West, but sunnier than average in eastern Scotland and the north of England. The highest temperature of the month was 34.0C at Heathrow and Northolt (London) on the 29th.

I understand we had record breaking upper temperatures at the end of the month though, but surface temperatures failed to break records due to cloud cover?  Either way, we were very close!  Plus the all time UK record was broken in July 2019, so we experienced the continental heat eventually.

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
On 25/05/2022 at 21:02, Azazel said:

Why is it that when dreadful weather is shown at day 10 it always verifies but good weather (heat or snow) never does? 

Probably because the definition of dreadful weather by the weather nuts on here is 90% of the UK's climatology distribution. Alternatively, it doesn't always verify and the "good" weather sometimes does, but you selectively remember when it does/doesn't. For some people, heat and snow are "dreadful" weather so they should be celebrating the dreadful weather never happening at day 10. The real question is, why do people focus so much on long lead times where the models have low skill, and then wonder why their hoped for blizzard or heatwave at lead time 10 days doesn't happen very often? I am tempted to log all posts on here which have the words GFS and snow, note the lead time being discussed, and the forecast verification.

• Like 1

Posted

We expect too much in the UK... actually spring has been pretty decent. often its wet and cold. March/April and particularly May have been nice. (nice for the UK) that is.  Last May was dreadful. If we can get good second half of June and warm July..July usually delivers most years. and hopefully a good August for a change. I think most will settle for that.. Anyway I personally say. I think September is often better than June. Its what i have noticed personally anyway.  Saying that June and July were nice here last year.. Obviously not perfect.. but again we ain't in Spain. 

Edited by weatherguru14
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
9 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

We expect too much in the UK... actually spring has been pretty decent. often its wet and cold. March/April and particularly May have been nice. (nice for the UK) that is.  Last May was dreadful. If we can get good second half of June and warm July..July usually delivers most years. and hopefully a good August for a change. I think most will settle for that.. Anyway I personally say. I think September is often better than June. Its what i have noticed personally anyway.  Saying that June and July were nice here last year.. Obviously not perfect.. but again we ain't in Spain. 

Yes it has been a decent spring for outdoor activities, less so for cultivation due to the lack of rain in the first half (again). Rainfall has come back to normal now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Not the best thing to wake up to in the morning lol. Is there a ritual today?

20220527_080841.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

A nice sunny day today with a top daytime temp of 18 Celsius. But it did feel rather cool though thanks to the north westerly breeze. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
16 hours ago, SunSean said:

Not the best thing to wake up to in the morning lol. Is there a ritual today?

20220527_080841.jpg

I know, Chemtrails ruining our skies. It needs to stop.

• Like 3

Posted

Last 3 days we have only had t-max temperatures of 12-14c, and that's with around 800w/m2 in sunshine strenght is really miserable for the time of the year.I'm getting a feeling that we will have to wait to the 2nd half of june for the first 25c day of the year.

The fuck.png

Drrrr.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
17 minutes ago, Faronstream said:

Last 3 days we have only had t-max temperatures of 12-14c, and that's with around 800w/m2 in sunshine strenght is really miserable for the time of the year.I'm getting a feeling that we will have to wait to the 2nd half of june for the first 25c day of the year.

The fuck.png

Drrrr.png

Yup, my daughter who lives just north of Stockholm is getting really fed up with days of cool winds. However, she reports the conditions are very dry in that region. She is heading to Italy for some warmth!

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters

Turned out a beautiful sunny afternoon after the worrying start of heavy cloud build up after dawn, currently sat in the garden as I'm typing this enjoying a coffee and a bbq, sun is shining and a few fair weather clouds floating about with a gentle breeze and feeling warmer than expected. sorry I can't give the technical name of the clouds I'm still learning 

• Like 7