Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2022 Chat

Message added by Paul,

Want to have a moan about the weather? Please head over to the Spring / Summer weather moans thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
50 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Again Easter looks underwhelming on this mornings Ecm, lots of cloud and occasional showers and temps struggling. Gfs starts ok but goes downhill through Sunday and Monday. 

Depends where you live, here in the Lake District Easter is looking good as the best weather will be in the NW.

North/South split in our favour for a change 

Andy

Posted
1 hour ago, Penrith Snow said:

Depends where you live, here in the Lake District Easter is looking good as the best weather will be in the NW.

Andy

Not a change. This was the whole of 2021 ... Our summer last year was horrific! Looks to be setting up for the same again.

• Like 2

Posted
6 hours ago, Penrith Snow said:

Andy

NW tends to do well mid to late spring when easterlies descend as they often do. Best time of year in Lake District hands down!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
10 hours ago, Penrith Snow said:

Andy

That is a normal April setup

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

I'm in Salford over the Easter weekend so am hoping for Saturday or Sunday to have fair weather to hike up a big hill. The only question is whether to go to the Lake District or Snowdonia? Both are likely to be heaving.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
6 minutes ago, al78 said:

I'm in Salford over the Easter weekend so am hoping for Saturday or Sunday to have fair weather to hike up a big hill. The only question is whether to go to the Lake District or Snowdonia? Both are likely to be heaving.

Up to you but the Peak District is much closer to Salford with just as good scenery imo. The summit of Kinder Scout is 2088ft high and Bleaklow isn't much lower than that. Certainly big hills.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
52 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Up to you but the Peak District is much closer to Salford with just as good scenery imo. The summit of Kinder Scout is 2088ft high and Bleaklow isn't much lower than that. Certainly big hills.

I'm off to Braemar in June so I am hoping to remind my legs what an 800+m ascent feels like.

• Like 1

Sunday starting to look pretty rubbish now away from the extreme south east with rain across many areas now by 6pm. Monday into fresh westerlies and showers, Rest of the month looking meh at best. 

Posted

It seems to be a theme at the moment for the weather to turn out much better than forecast in this area. The last two days have been forecast to have heavy showers but we haven't had any measurable rain at all.

Spring so far for us has been ridiculously dry and sunny. 27.0mm (41%) and 268 hours (140%). April so far has only seen 4.0mm of rain.

Only 13 days so far this spring have seen measurable rain and only 4 of those were more than 2mm.

Will we pay for it in summer?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, reef said:

It seems to be a theme at the moment for the weather to turn out much better than forecast in this area. The last two days have been forecast to have heavy showers but we haven't had any measurable rain at all.

Spring so far for us has been ridiculously dry and sunny. 27.0mm (41%) and 268 hours (140%). April so far has only seen 4.0mm of rain.

Only 13 days so far this spring have seen measurable rain and only 4 of those were more than 2mm.

Will we pay for it in summer?

0pposite here, Monday forecast warm, but was dull with freezing cold wind, Tues forecast showers clearing by 7am, but was wet until midday

today forecast sunny, but was wet all morning with dull afternoon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

It has so far been a fairly standard April over here, with rainfall and sunshine levels probably around average. There has been a good mix of sunshine and April showers along with some fairly pleasant daytime temps. Nothing really out of the ordinary, but as a keen gardener I am so far enjoying this month as it has a good mix.

March was dry though, but not exceptionally so.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted

Not turning out very good down here, 3rd cloudy day and now this is the forecast when a couple days ago it looked pleasant for several days

image.thumb.png.d55f08e5dadff1648d2414008a11cdea.png

Looks like something out of winter 2021/22 now, and although I don't like to moan too much I have just had a little moan in the moans thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

It's the first 20°C day of the year in my neck of the woods. Quite a pleasant spring day.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summer days with calm seas to swim in, cold frosty snowy winters

Can anyone give me a quick forecast for Barnsley (Wednesday), Scarborough (Thursday) and Skipton (Friday) please. Visiting and could do with knowing temperature,  wind, likelihood of precipitation.  Cheers 

Posted

Half way through Spring 2022. A quiet affair so far.. often dry which has been the main theme so far. Apart from those stormy few wet days in February 2022 seems to be ambling along quietly so. 

Posted

Spring 2022, and can’t grumble so far.

From my observation it’s been something of a gradual warm up. Not like Late March/ April 2020, and not the long drawn out cold of Spring 2021.

This year has been somewhere in the middle, or maybe it’s my imagination. 

Not too hot, but it’s still April, and not too cold either. The nagging chill was still around not so long ago, and the trees in some areas are only now just starting to blossom a bit more.

If there’s a mix of unsettled weather coming up, I still hold out some hope for maybe a decent summer this year, but a poor month between June and August possible. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Felt quite dry this spring so far. There were some heavy, thundery showers earlier in the month but that's sort of been the most of it. March was dry after some wet and drizzly days early on. Come to think of it, down here it's been mostly dry after the wet summer last year. The winter, and generally the past 7 months or so has been devoid of any prolonged wet spells. The autumn, particularly November, was dry down here. First time I've noticed such a dry period (even if that's overstating it too much for my liking) since mid-2016 to mid-2017 which was very dry.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
19 hours ago, LetItSnow! said:

Felt quite dry this spring so far. There were some heavy, thundery showers earlier in the month but that's sort of been the most of it. March was dry after some wet and drizzly days early on. Come to think of it, down here it's been mostly dry after the wet summer last year. The winter, and generally the past 7 months or so has been devoid of any prolonged wet spells. The autumn, particularly November, was dry down here. First time I've noticed such a dry period (even if that's overstating it too much for my liking) since mid-2016 to mid-2017 which was very dry.

I complete agree with this post, overall this autumn/winter in the south has been very dry, hoping we don’t pay for it this summer 

Posted
3 hours ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I complete agree with this post, overall this autumn/winter in the south has been very dry, hoping we don’t pay for it this summer 

Since Dec 2020 we've had lengthy dry periods interspersed with short lived very wet spells. Currently in one of the dry periods.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summer days with calm seas to swim in, cold frosty snowy winters
On 17/04/2022 at 08:17, RabbitEars said:

Can anyone give me a quick forecast for Barnsley (Wednesday), Scarborough (Thursday) and Skipton (Friday) please. Visiting and could do with knowing temperature,  wind, likelihood of precipitation.  Cheers 

Anyone ? Help please? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
7 minutes ago, RabbitEars said:

Anyone ? Help please? 

Scarbados, Thurs, cool-ish but dry! seafront Fish n chip's rubbish

• Like 1

Posted

Its looking likely that we're going to have a third consecutive exceptionally dry April here. The current total for the month is only 4.0mm.

There have been a remarkable number of dry Aprils here from 2007 onwards:

2007: 1.5mm
2009: 16.2mm
2010: 21.0mm
2011: 6.6mm
2013: 10.4mm
2015: 16.2mm
2017: 21.2mm
2020: 6.6mm
2021: 2.4mm
2022: 4.0mm (so far)

There's no other month in the year with a trend like this. The current 1991-2020 average is 46.7mm and 10 out of the last 15 have had less than 45% of that.

They've also been very sunny. 7 of the last 15 have seen 198hrs or more (compared to just 6 Junes, 6 Julys and 6 Augusts in the same period) and 16 of the last 20 have had above average sunshine!

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, reef said:

Its looking likely that we're going to have a third consecutive exceptionally dry April here. The current total for the month is only 4.0mm.

April is, on average, the second driest month for me locally and is only fractionally behind May which is the driest month. And  this one is following the trend with some lovely dry and sunny weather recently.

Then usually it gets progressively wetter as you go through summer and when the tourists are at their peak in August we get more than twice as much rain as London gets in December or January.  

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Been a nice April so far and the saving grace this week has been the warm sunshine through the day which helped with the frustration of being on holiday and stuck with covid.

• Like 1