Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2022 Chat

Message added by Paul,

Want to have a moan about the weather? Please head over to the Spring / Summer weather moans thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Crazier things have happened.. but there's no risk of snow in lowland E/SE England this week IMO. Cold rain for most and a bit of hill snow if you're lucky.. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Certainly looking like the main snow event of the "winter" for many areas in the south at the end of Wednesday night. Just when nobody really wants it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
21 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Certainly looking like the main snow event of the "winter" for many areas in the south at the end of Wednesday night. Just when nobody really wants it.

Yeah, although i am a sunny weather guy, i don't even mind snow, hell i'd even be fine if it snowed all December & January if it meant mainly warm and sunny from the end of March onwards, so to see cold single digit weather returning for April after that lovely period of weather we had is a real comedown!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

ECM this evening is absolutely rubbish, cool and unsettled all the way, hopefully it sorts itself out (along with the others for Easter) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
3 hours ago, SunSean said:

Yeah, although i am a sunny weather guy, i don't even mind snow, hell i'd even be fine if it snowed all December & January if it meant mainly warm and sunny from the end of March onwards, so to see cold single digit weather returning for April after that lovely period of weather we had is a real comedown!

Yep, winter had its chance and failed miserably, just want pleasant warmth now please. Sadly, that's going to be off the card for the first half of April by the looks of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
10 hours ago, Alderc said:

ECM this evening is absolutely rubbish, cool and unsettled all the way, hopefully it sorts itself out (along with the others for Easter) 

Wouldn't be banking on anything like we've just had for a little while now. First half of April is looking decidedly changeable. So long as the cold spell only lasts a few days and temps recover back to low-mid teens (a la UKMO/ECM this morning) it won't be too bad...

image.thumb.png.78c50171ef0106479ae2830f072a39e5.pngimage.thumb.png.f2258cd04e57f6497c77740210d6ca73.pngimage.thumb.png.20e1bebf07117af131e41929ed406280.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

I can't complain that the nice lengthy sunny spell we've just had can last forever, but come on snow? really?  it had its chance in the past few months to do that. It will be pointless having it now and like Nick L said we just want warmth now, i've been sick of wearing so many layers just to go outside for an hour or 2, the nice spell we've had was wonderful not having to wear so much clothing only a vest, t-shirt, trousers and a hoodie and of course sunglasses with a hat.

The model thread is just recycling itself again from winter all because of this short event.

• Like 4

Posted
11 hours ago, Nick L said:

Yep, winter had its chance and failed miserably, just want pleasant warmth now please. Sadly, that's going to be off the card for the first half of April by the looks of it.

And very expensive heating houses 

12 minutes ago, Atmogenic said:

I can't complain that the nice lengthy sunny spell we've just had can last forever, but come on snow? really?  it had its chance in the past few months to do that. It will be pointless having it now and like Nick L said we just want warmth now, i've been sick of wearing so many layers just to go outside for an hour or 2, the nice spell we've had was wonderful not having to wear so much clothing only a vest, t-shirt, trousers and a hoodie and of course sunglasses with a hat.

The model thread is just recycling itself again from winter all because of this short event.

Could last a while this cold snap may well become SPELL SO single digit daytime temps and chilly nights 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
9 minutes ago, Atmogenic said:

Ground temps are widely 5-7c across the south and 3-5c in the north. Any snow that does fall will very quickly melt. A complete waste of time. 

image.thumb.png.f0997f66c9cc3efe4e8a38625c9c548d.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fog, Drizzle, Rain, Wind and Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

Ground temps are widely 5-7c across the south and 3-5c in the north. Any snow that does fall will very quickly melt. A complete waste of time. 

I totally agree. Soil temp down on the Sussex coast around 11c at the moment with the recent warm and dry weather. Not expecting anything to settle apart from perhaps on the very tops of the Downs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

As Nick said it would have been nice to have had this earlier on in the year, but we've seen snow in April before so not a huge surprise. Still hoping mid April onwards really heats up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

GFS suggesting three potential snow events IMBY> Wednesday night, Thursday afternoon and Friday afternoon. I'll believe it when I see it!

snow1.thumb.png.0e93c6b1a9b36014ac2b5f9fb3e7b8f5.png

snow2.thumb.png.900d92ff27e70b43cc70d6e8b6455232.png

snow3.thumb.png.ddc7b7479f9b0958d713b4d5d92cec84.png

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The Met Office is increasing the 3-day heatwave temperature threshold in Surrey, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire from 27c to 28c

Lincolnshire will now have to hit 27c up from 26c and the East Riding of Yorkshire will now have to hit 26c up from 25c

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

This time last year, the UK was facing one of the warmest March days on record. A complete opposite affair this year, with potential snowfalls and frosts. The cold doesn't last, but there's currently no signals of it turning warmer. A cyclonic outlook after a very dry January and March. Seems like they could be alternating, a drier May perhaps?.

Posted

Snow shower around 1 hour ago, winter finally arrives with snow lying in patches and all roofs covered!. Just started snowing again so the first snow seen since the previous winter 20-21!

couple of snow showers since briefly settling

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Mother Nature is teasing us this morning, proper Winters day, fantastic....just in the wrong season!

• Like 2

Posted
9 hours ago, Frigid said:

This time last year, the UK was facing one of the warmest March days on record. A complete opposite affair this year, with potential snowfalls and frosts. The cold doesn't last, but there's currently no signals of it turning warmer. A cyclonic outlook after a very dry January and March. Seems like they could be alternating, a drier May perhaps?.

Overall this has been a very mild March with the CET currently 2.5C above average and approximately a whole degree warmer than March last year.

Last April was gin clear but cold with predominant easterlies and a CET of just 6.4C, which was the coldest April since 1986 and the second coldest for 100 years (equal with 1941).

Anyway, there are indeed some signals of this cold snap being short-lived, with milder weather on the way next week:

1493676748_Screenshot2022-03-31at08_15_30.thumb.png.3779e2cda4e7d0eeea7f6c10e8f78aeb.png33553446_Screenshot2022-03-31at08_15_51.thumb.png.472dcaed0a5f0d49c20b0534b3dda231.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
17 hours ago, Frigid said:

Funny how this often happens in two consecutive years. All of my record highs in the final week of March, with the exception of the last two days last year, were in March 2012. All the record low maxima and some minima were in March 2013.

Then of course how chalk and cheese May 2020 and 2021 were.

• Like 1

It’s been a horrid day, properly wintry can’t imagine why anyone would prefer this to what we had a week ago. Thankfully it’s only a brief cold spell, hoping today is the last day until December of single digit max temps. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

One of the best days for weeks! A little taste of a season that never came to our shores this year, fantastic weather. Both visually and to the feel of it, loved it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
9 minutes ago, Alderc said:

It’s been a horrid day, properly wintry can’t imagine why anyone would prefer this to what we had a week ago. Thankfully it’s only a brief cold spell, hoping today is the last day until December of single digit max temps. 

Had snow cover up here this morning and looks like it'll stay chilly for the foreseeable, staying in single figures for about week going off my weather app. Maybe not for you lot in the south.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Heavy falling and even briefly settling snow fell here in Islington for a time at a rate I haven't seen probably since February 2021, easily the heaviest snowfall of the entire winter and in fact the only proper snowfall of the entire season. Coming to think about it, in my memories of the weather I've seen far more snow in spring on average than many winters of my lifetime since 2014. March 2014, April 2016, May(!) 2019, April 2021 and now March 2022 all brought at least one day of falling thick sleet/temporary heavy snow. Compare that to only brief episodes in Winter 2017/2018 and 2020/2021 that brought any meaningful snowy episodes where I lived in those times.

I did for a time see heavy falling snow on the 4th of May, 2019 here in Kent that didn't really settle but brought very large flakes and temporary whiteout conditions. Very notably late.

Edited by LetItSnow!

Posted

I can’t wait for us to get rid of this cold nagging wind. Was positively freezing in central London this afternoon with the windchill.

Want the warmth back, with temps in the 17-21c bracket please, and nice clear sunny skies. Even 14-16 would be ok, but want it to be warm. 

1 minute ago, LetItSnow! said:

Heavy falling and even briefly settling snow fell here in Islington for a time at a rate I haven't seen probably since February 2021, easily the heaviest snowfall of the entire winter and in fact the only proper snowfall of the entire season. Coming to think about it, in my memories of the weather I've seen far more snow in spring on average than many winters of my lifetime since 2014. March 2014, April 2016, May(!) 2019, April 2021 and now March 2022 all brought at least one day of falling thick sleet/temporary heavy snow. Compare that to only brief episodes in Winter 2017/2018 and 2020/2021 that brought any meaningful snowy episodes where I lived in those times.

20/21 winter was a much better season for snow. It’s been a disappointing one this time round, but we’ve still had colder days here and there, and today is one of them. 

• Thanks 1