Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion March 2022 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

Poor forecast and modelling, rain further north than forecast and more extensive. ECM looks closer to the mark 

yroDMfb.png

Aye, was very bad, expected front to be well SE of here, moving SE, but looks like my area could see rain all day, if it stalls or moves SE

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Rain all but missed here, we had just enough to water the garden, but still nothing noteworthy. 

I’m really starting to notice the nights drawing in now; it’s dark before 9pm, and the light really starts to fade around the 8:30pm mark. We’re stuck in the classic mid-August rut whereby the temperature is always around 20C during the day, but it’s often cloudy. 

On the horizon, it looks like we’ll get one, maybe two last blasts of summer before meteorological autumn arrives. The nature of these ‘rinse and repeat’ heatwave cycles leaves me to believe we’re in for a very warm and dry September. 

I am starting to look forward to autumn now though. There was a real ‘nip’ to the breeze this morning and I really start to lose interest in summer at this time of year. Sun isn’t really strong enough to tan, we lose so much light at an alarming rate, there’s no storms, ever. And this year there’s too much humidity, lol. 

Either way, I’m going to Spain on Monday. So I’ll be enjoying 9 days of summer down there. UV index of 9, long sunny days and plenty of beer. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

1.6 mm rain overnight. I’m seriously disillusioned after this week don’t really know what to say.

That’s 2 summers in a row the Azores/Atlantic high has ruined. we had a Biscay low and a Scandinavian high this week and we still didn’t get anything.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I can only hope that we get a monster storm in the next two months for make up for it.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Still looking good for HP to build back in after the weekend looking at the individual ENS many have temperatures into the high twenties with a few stragglers into the low 30s although with the placement of the HP I don't see temperatures into the low 30s.High twenties is absolutely fantastic though and would cap of an absolutely fantastic summer😎

• Like 6

Posted

@Backtrack to much humidity?dont know for your area but the last two hot spells we have had the Humidity here has been low.

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, cheshire snow said:

@Backtrack to much humidity?dont know for your area but the last two hot spells we have had the Humidity here has been low.

Same here, humidity hasn't been excessive. 

It is the one weather observation reporting  that has always baffled me over the years when I see a report saying it is humid but you look at the data from nearby official stations and they are saying it isn't

A few years back I remember someone saying it was humid in Liverpool but the figures were below 50% and dewpoints sub 10°C

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 hours ago, Chris.R said:

1.6 mm rain overnight. I’m seriously disillusioned after this week don’t really know what to say.

That’s 2 summers in a row the Azores/Atlantic high has ruined. we had a Biscay low and a Scandinavian high this week and we still didn’t get anything.

Shocking eh. Even worse when you see the pictures/ vids of the storms we missed.

As soon as we get that overpowering NW’ly we’re naffed. Need the surface flow to remain S of west.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

A bit of rain here early on, only 1.4mm, from the dregs left over from yesterday's storms in the East. It dried up quickly this morning, but has stayed largely overcast all day, but a perfectly useable day out and about, a high of 20.6C. The one thing I have noticed this year is the lack of toadstools/mushrooms popping up in the garden. I'm assuming there just hasn't been enough moisture this year, as normally there are loads.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
3 hours ago, cheshire snow said:

Yeah not saying backtracks case is like this as he might not be taking anything but sometimes medications can cause people to feel hot. I'm on one that does as a side effect so rarely feel cold, last time I think I did was the BFTE in 2018 but that's not surprising given wind chills were sub -10C. It's like today a lot of people are back to wearing light jackets/hoodies and trousers out and about, no way I could do that without breaking into a sweat. I'm still in summery gear.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I assume that the comments regarding how bad the summer has turned out relate to the lack of storms.

yes it’s been poor for anyone who likes thunderstorms but for those who just want long summer evenings of heat and sunshine, it’s been pretty decent and even notoriously wet summers like 2007 and 2012 offered far more heavy rain from frontal systems than they did from thunderstorms.

As for the current conditions, no surprise that UU’s latest reservoir levels show the worsening effects of the regions drought conditions even though we’re not officially in one.

Pennine sources down over 3% from last week and now just over 46% and I reckon that it’s only their ability to move water about that have prevented a hosepipe ban being put in place but even that will change if the drier than normal conditions carry on for more than a few more weeks.

• Like 6

The lack of storms in our region this year is due to azores high introducing cold air on the surface from the North Atlantic which reduces the buoyancy of the air and thus convection, as opposed to a typical plume breakdown which pushes cold air aloft from an upper level low which conversely increases low level thermal buoyancy.

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, iand61 said:

I assume that the comments regarding how bad the summer has turned out relate to the lack of storms.

yes it’s been poor for anyone who likes thunderstorms but for those who just want long summer evenings of heat and sunshine, it’s been pretty decent and even notoriously wet summers like 2007 and 2012 offered far more heavy rain from frontal systems than they did from thunderstorms.

As for the current conditions, no surprise that UU’s latest reservoir levels show the worsening effects of the regions drought conditions even though we’re not officially in one.

Pennine sources down over 3% from last week and now just over 46% and I reckon that it’s only their ability to move water about that have prevented a hosepipe ban being put in place but even that will change if the drier than normal conditions carry on for more than a few more weeks.

Only since mid July. Prior to that the weather was decidedly chilly, quite windy & dull much of the time hereabouts. The opinion of the summer has been skewed by a good last few weeks. Even then, we had a very dull and often wet week after the July heatwave. This last spell has been the only prolonged suuny and dry spell.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
31 minutes ago, davehsug said:

Only since mid July. Prior to that the weather was decidedly chilly, quite windy & dull much of the time hereabouts. The opinion of the summer has been skewed by a good last few weeks. Even then, we had a very dull and often wet week after the July heatwave. This last spell has been the only prolonged suuny and dry spell.

Yes I'd rate this summer slightly above normal in terms of what we usually get in our region but it's still no where near 1995. It's the dryness that has stuck out more than anything. We've had a lot of cloudy cool days sandwiched in between just over a week of hot weather (July's couple of very hot days and the more recent full week of hot weather). This has certainly not been 1995 which for me is the benchmark for NW England, from mid June right through to late August it was extraordinary sunny and consistently very warm or hot with Manchester airport recording 29 days at or above 25C and 59 days at or above 20C. No doubt for SE England this summer has been up there with their very best.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 6

Posted
54 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yes I'd rate this summer slightly above normal in terms of what we usually get in our region but it's still no where near 1995. It's the dryness that has stuck out more than anything. We've had a lot of cloudy cool days sandwiched in between just over a week of hot weather (July's couple of very hot days and the more recent full week of hot weather). This has certainly not been 1995 which for me is the benchmark for NW England, from mid June right through to late August it was extraordinary sunny and consistently very warm or hot with Manchester airport recording 29 days at or above 25C and 59 days at or above 20C. No doubt for SE England this summer has been up there with their very best.

1995 I agree is the benchmark of our last exceptional summer. A superb one. 2018 closest in recent times. This one so far, doesn't come anywhere close, even if we see a warm dry last week, I'll be rating it lower than 1983, 1984, 1989, 2006 and 2018. On a par with 2003, a very good one, but not in the very top league. The only reason rating so high is due to hoe dry it's been, warmth has been sporadic, and it has been very cloudy at times. Had last week not happened it would be much lower ranking. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 5

Posted

Get in there beautiful from next Tuesday 😍 

Screenshot_20220818-011254_Google.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

How rare...rain from the South giving a decent wetting of the ground here...normally it dies a death.  Appears to have just developed south of Manchester so not much ground to track over to reach here.  However normal service resumed later as rain from the West will no doubt deliver it's load without too much trouble in the NW region.

• Like 4

Posted

Slight chance of lightning with the trough later but only a small chance. Certainly should be some heavy convective rain though.

I wish I could remember 1995 but was only 1. Apparently we had some good storms as well. My parents often talked about an amazing storm in Crosby that year or the year after not sure which.

first amazing storm I can remember is 3rd July 2001. That’s what got me into storms.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

A line of quite heavy showers about to exit Ireland.

I assume these are the ones with a "slight"🤣 chance of breaking the thunder famine.

BTW @Chris.R, you are probably the same age as my eldest who was born April 1994.

Edited by Had Worse
  • Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

A line of quite heavy showers about to exit Ireland.

I assume these are the ones with a "slight"🤣 chance of breaking the thunder famine.

BTW @Chris.R, you are probably the same age as my eldest who was born April 1994.

Yep those are the ones to watch.

yes I was born October 94.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Yep, light pitter patter on the conservatory roof.

• Like 6