Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The heat haters club 2022

Dami
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for those who don't enjoy the heat to discuss that and offer support to each other through the summer months. If you don't feel similarly and don't have any empathy for those who do, please don't post in here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
32 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

If the Metoffice upgrade to a red emergency warning on Monday then very little should be open IMO.

In places where such temperatures are common e.g Spain, most places close during the middle part of the day.

Yes C.C., same in my Mother's Country, of Italy.

Nothing is open in the Afternoon [Shops, etc] but reopen again, in the early Evening.

My Mother's home Town of Caserta [about 30 miles North of Naples], often sees temps in the late 30's C, during the Summer Months.

But unlike the U.K., their buildings are designed, with long hot Summers, in mind.

The locals are very respectful of heat, and normally have a bit of a Siesta, during the hottest part of the Day and then like to promenade in the Evening, as the temps start to ease back a little.

Regards,

Tom.   

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and quiet; snow can be nice too
47 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

If the Metoffice upgrade to a red emergency warning on Monday then very little should be open IMO.

In places where such temperatures are common e.g Spain, most places close during the middle part of the day.

Horrifyingly, I bet some people would complain about a "weather lockdown" (at least one fringe voice did that with Eunice) if that was the case. But it absolutely should be the case.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Fire in Harrogate today, under control now as far as I know, taken by the Harrogate fire department. It's only going to get worse with the dry soil and the heat with more fires happening elsewhere.

FXaEYU9XoAERHgH.thumb.jpg.6f588a1a204b13f79553f813d26cb162.jpg

Posted

Bit concerned for the New Forest, I've never seen it looking as dry on the ground as it did this past weekend, including 2018 when there was a big wildfire 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
3 hours ago, markyo said:

Good luck with sleeping. Flat's are without doubt the worst housing in this vile weather, hope you cope ok

You would think so but the mid terrace i'm in now is definitely warmer during the summer than the tower that I used to live in (14th floor). I think the direction and size of windows plays a part too, it's always noticeable warmer in the back/west facing bedroom.

Posted

My main concern about this coming weekend and early next week is for my parents who live in the south east.  They are not getting any younger and am worried about how they will cope in extreme heat!

Edited by Don
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, preferably thunderstorms, cold and bad weather.

Here to show my support. If it gets much above 20°C, I'm not particularly happy. It's currently 25°C in this room, and I'm not enjoying it at all. Fingers crossed the cloud will hang around tomorrow and keep a lid on things here. Takes a couple of days to get fresh air through the place when it arrives too...

• Like 5

Posted

No sign of the heat downgrading, it's just getting worse and worse by the day. Every model output run...just unprecedented warmth.

It's been above average for a while now. Started from the warm September, then mild winter, then mild Spring, and now this. Coldies are having a nightmare.

Can't wait for the first significantly below average temp month, hoping it be in winter this time

• Like 4

Posted
4 hours ago, Frigid said:

Can't wait for the first significantly below average temp month, hoping it be in winter this time

I think you may have a long wait... To me one of the really convincing aurguements we are living in a warming climate is that loads of 'hottest' records have been broken in the last 20 years and very few 'coldest'

(Taken from wiki article, details: Line graphs of the percentages of Earth's surface reaching record temperature levels in July as a function of time over years 1951-, from NOAA data. Source: Mean Monthly Temperature Records Across the Globe / July 2021 Global Land and Ocean. NCDC.NOAA.gov. National Climatic Data Center (NCDC) of the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) (August 2021). Archived from the original on 2 September 2021. Archive thereof: )

image.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

I really find the concept of enjoying this crap weather very hard to understand. It effects every part of the day and night, so draining, so uncomfortable and people actually sit out in it deliberately to burn their skin! Their is no such thing as a healthy tan. A very tough night followed by working in plus 40c again with high humidity, by far the worst spell of weather for some time. Sooner its gone the better.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
8 hours ago, Ross90 said:

You would think so but the mid terrace i'm in now is definitely warmer during the summer than the tower that I used to live in (14th floor). I think the direction and size of windows plays a part too, it's always noticeable warmer in the back/west facing bedroom.

You have my sympathies, mid terrace properties suffer badly with heat retention in summer. You have a good point with the variation in windows and aspect, can make a massive difference. Flats suffer due to their one aspect nature in general.

• Like 1

Posted

Left Stansted yesterday afternoon, when it was around 30c . 

Currently in Cork. 18c and raining. Beautiful.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I understand there has been a cobra meeting for this heat now.  Scary stuff. A water pump went in out area aswell causing people not to have water, so probably something toido with my daughters schools sudden shortage.

Last night was awful Felt like a big blanket of hot, humid air in the bedroom and i couldn't feel the fan. Went from 30c to just over 27c so still very warm. I actually have woken up feeling, although i have barely slept, quite ill.

I have never felt it so close in the house before.

Edited by Dami
  • Like 5

Posted

Times like this I really appreciate living in a rural location......just dropped my son off at Heathrow 21c, back home now having a cuppa and it's 17c. (7.20am)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

I live in a bottom floor maisonette block of 4 flats and it has to be very hot for my bedroom and living to get room and to make matters worse I am now come down with diarrhoea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Good to see heat haters posting, it means they are not busy barfing from this crappy heat yet.

• Like 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, Katrine Basso said:

I live in a bottom floor maisonette block of 4 flats and it has to be very hot for my bedroom and living to get room and to make matters worse I am now come down with diarrhoea.

i hope you feel better soon

1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

Good to see heat haters posting, it means they are not busy barfing from this crappy heat yet.

no i'm still here. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

I guarantee this place will be busy over the coming days.

As for last night, unbearable. Didn't dip below 20C. The warmest night I've experienced was on the 20th July 2016, where it was 26C at 1am. Looks likely to be beaten next week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, Dami said:

i hope you feel better soon

no i'm still here. 

You are the mother of this thread, you must make it through the heat without barfing and then open one in the winter, but what can it be

Just now, Frigid said:

I guarantee this place will be busy over the coming days.

As for last night, unbearable. Didn't dip below 20C. The warmest night I've experienced was on the 20th July 2016, where it was 26C at 1am. Looks likely to be beaten next week.

Hot nights suck as much as hot and humid days

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

You are the mother of this thread, you must make it through the heat without barfing and then open one in the winter, but what can it be

Hot nights suck as much as hot and humid days

I already have my other thread, you do a October fog index one

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, markyo said:

I really find the concept of enjoying this crap weather very hard to understand. It effects every part of the day and night, so draining, so uncomfortable and people actually sit out in it deliberately to burn their skin! Their is no such thing as a healthy tan. A very tough night followed by working in plus 40c again with high humidity, by far the worst spell of weather for some time. Sooner its gone the better.

My late parents had a friend who would always be out sun bathing. Even if they were visiting, she would meet them from the garden. So it was no surprise when she got skin cancer on her leg from a change in a mole. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Exactly my thoughts. Even though I'm from a country where we're used to heatwaves in the summer I can't understand why and how people over here find this kind of weather enjoyable. Humidity is through the roof, 90%+ homes don't have ACs, the same applies pretty much for workplaces, it doesn't make any sense tbh. I can deal with temps in low 20s, max mid 20s, but everything above these is just unbearable. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, CreweCold said:

There were no mandatory closures for storm Eunice…think everything’s already been closed enough recently don’t you?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 minutes ago, Alderc said:

There were no mandatory closures for storm Eunice…think everything’s already been closed enough recently don’t you?

What's any of that got to do with a likely heat emergency?

• Like 2