Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The heat haters club 2022

Dami
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for those who don't enjoy the heat to discuss that and offer support to each other through the summer months. If you don't feel similarly and don't have any empathy for those who do, please don't post in here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
8 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Maybe a silly question, SC -- but what is 'e-coal'?

Smokeless coal, if it is the same as i use, you use it in stoves that are 'multi fuel' as opposed to just 'log' burners, very efficient, gives great heat and produces less Co2! 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Smokeless coal, if it is the same as i use, you use it in stoves that are 'multi fuel' as opposed to just 'log' burners, very efficient, gives great heat and produces less Co2! 

The very same stuff I was burning 40-years back then? For a second there, I thought it might be something one downloaded off t'internet!😁

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

the very same stuff I was burning 40-years back then?😁

I think there are several different versions of 'smokeless coal' mostly Anthracite based, crushed down and reformed into briquettes, some will have different components added like waste bio-mass! So not really like you burned 40 years ago! 😉

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Maybe a silly question, SC -- but what is 'e-coal'?

Not a silly question at all but I see it has been explained.  It is useful and does keep the the “fire” ticking over but goodness me it does create a great deal of ash compared to wood.   If I remember correctly the stuff I used last winter was derived from (I’ll have to check for definite) from olive stones or something along those lines. 

Edited by Snowycat
  • Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

Not a silly question at all but I see it has been explained.  It is useful and does keep the the “fire” ticking over but goodness me it does create a great deal of ash compared to wood.   If I remember correctly the stuff I used last winter was derived from (I’ll have to check for definite) from olive stones or something along those lines. 

You are correct SC, Olive stones is one type/source and the ash tray does need emptying more regularly than when i just burn hard wood logs,

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

You are correct SC, Olive stones is one type/source and the ash tray does need emptying more regularly than when i just burn hard wood logs,

I thought it was olive stones but then doubted myself.  The e-coal is very useful though I have to say.   

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

I thought it was olive stones but then doubted myself.  The e-coal is very useful though I have to say.   

The heat and longevity over night is brilliant, such a small amount keeps my burner ticking over all night through winter! 

Think we may have slightly derailed the 'Heat haters' thread lol, but u  can't beat a good log burner in the coldest depths of winter!

A new thread for winter perhaps?? @Dami

Edited by Wold Topper
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Morning o’fellow heat haters. 😊

Just posted this in the autumn 2022 thread. 👍🏻

“Just popped the dog out on the lawn and I must say that after all of the relentless sun and heat spikes so far this year, it’s so nice to feel drizzle and see the hill fog rolling in… (Or not see as the case may be! 🤣)

Its marvellous… More please! 🙌🏻🙏🏻🌫🌧🌫” 

911D6CAB-28DE-4DC0-8D44-4EA4042A6560.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
On 29/07/2022 at 23:00, Wold Topper said:

The heat and longevity over night is brilliant, such a small amount keeps my burner ticking over all night through winter! 

Think we may have slightly derailed the 'Heat haters' thread lol, but u  can't beat a good log burner in the coldest depths of winter!

A new thread for winter perhaps?? @Dami

Hi all 🙂

I quite agree about the log burner. I wish we had room! 

I'm not sure about a winter thread, would it be a winter lovers thread or a haters? I find winter hits a bit differently to 40c heat BUT if people would be interested in me setting up a 'winter thread' then let me know or like the post. 

• Like 4

Posted
17 minutes ago, Dami said:

Hi all 🙂

I'm not sure about a winter thread, would it be a winter lovers thread or a haters? I find winter hits a bit differently to 40c heat BUT if people would be interested in me setting up a 'winter thread' then let me know or like the post. 

It's far too early for a Winter thread. Usually gets started about mid October time.

Posted
23 minutes ago, Seasonal Trim said:

It's far too early for a Winter thread. Usually gets started about mid October time.

yeah i wouldn't of started anything now, i just wondering since there was some interest what people think 🙂

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dami said:

yeah i wouldn't of started anything now, i just wondering since there was some interest what people think 🙂

It just starts sniping from the non winter lovers. It's bad enough after starting the Autumn thread during the Summer usually. I think a Winter thread would tip some of them over the edge! 😉

Posted
5 minutes ago, Seasonal Trim said:

It just starts sniping from the non winter lovers. It's bad enough after starting the Autumn thread during the Summer usually. I think a Winter thread would tip some of them over the edge! 😉

It depends what kind of thread. people hate winter too ofc, but it could be more for sharing tips how to keep warm, recipes and the like or sharing what they like about winter. It shall be a case of wait and see. 🙂

Edited by Dami
  • Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Dami said:

Hi all 🙂

I'm not sure about a winter thread

We also have a log burner, and we find it gives a more even heat than gas. The walls around where it sits are thick, and they heat up and then release the heat at night, like a storage radiator.

Its also a money saver as we have managed to get most of next winters fuel for free for the effort of cutting and stacking, I have a large sawbench which will cut through all but the biggest stuff, so its a reasonably quick process. We try to gather and stack 12 months ahead to give it time to dry.

We have noticed this year that more people are chasing free wood.

Go for a cold lovers thread, we love cold frosty days in winter, but not the soggy mild days that have characterised the last few winters.

Edited by mike57
predictive text strikes again
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Dami said:

It depends what kind of thread. people hate winter too ofc, but it could be more for sharing tips how to keep warm, recipes and the like or sharing what they like about winter. It shall be a case of wait and see. 🙂

Both ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Nothing extreme.

Feeling really uncomfortable today and it's going to stay muggy for the next couple of days.  I wish that fresher weather due later this week would hurry up.

• Like 1

Posted

The other aspect of hot weather that drives me nuts is things on wings.  Have had a happy bumble bee nest under the cat pen and they haven’t been any trouble and the flutterbies are lovely.  Flies, however, can’t stand the dirty horrid things 🫣

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, Stewart M said:

Feeling really uncomfortable today and it's going to stay muggy for the next couple of days.  I wish that fresher weather due later this week would hurry up.

Fresher Wed night! 12Z GFS also dosen't really suggest the heat, Atlantic dominated really for us, turns warm around 27C on Mon/Tues

not like the horror 00Z, 6 days on the bounce of 35 degrees

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Snowycat said:

The other aspect of hot weather that drives me nuts is things on wings.  Have had a happy bumble bee nest under the cat pen and they haven’t been any trouble and the flutterbies are lovely.  Flies, however, can’t stand the dirty horrid things 🫣

We get ants and Blue Bottles . Horrible horrible things. Love the bins so much that we have ours cleaned by a very nice man every bin day or we end up with maggots and stinky bins! yuck. 

I hate how humid it is right now, our rooms aren't getting past 25c+ and we have had very little rain. Oh for a storm!  

• Like 3

Posted
23 minutes ago, Dami said:

We get ants and Blue Bottles . Horrible horrible things. Love the bins so much that we have ours cleaned by a very nice man every bin day or we end up with maggots and stinky bins! yuck. 

I hate how humid it is right now, our rooms aren't getting past 25c+ and we have had very little rain. Oh for a storm!  

Got attacked by flying ants whilst out walking Friday, bloody horrible things!

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, Dami said:

We get horrid iridescent green things.  It doesn’t help that our general refuse bins are only emptied once a fortnight and I really think, over the summer months at least, bins should be emptied every week.  yes a storm would be good although we are doing better than you guys, at least we have had some rain.

Edited by Snowycat
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Won't happen but those us ready for Autumn should look at the GFS12z to hearten our spirits. From day 13-16 we become cyclone central with no less than three different lows crossing the UK at low latitude. Wet and blustery.

• Like 4

Posted
51 minutes ago, Don said:

Got attacked by flying ants whilst out walking Friday, bloody horrible things!

We have a few nests in our grass, they keep coming back. Some are brown and they bite, well they appeared to hurt running over my feet, like little pin pricks. But the worst thing are wasps. I had a massive hornet/wasp in the house in march, took ages to get rid of the thing. next door had a nest once, that was fun. Another thing to add to the horrible list.

• Like 3

Posted
On 29/07/2022 at 20:18, Ed Stone said:

Me too. Apart from my leccy bill, I hope to see another winter like 1981-82. I suspect that that's not going to happen!😩

Any more than I think BT will ever provide a half-decent 'open' service!🤣

I think it will happen again, with the right set up. Despite a warmer world, the cold will go somewhere and will definitely reach us at some point.

My main worry is, it will happen at a time when most of us won’t be able to afford a cold winter. 

• Like 3

Posted
33 minutes ago, Dami said:

We have a few nests in our grass, they keep coming back. Some are brown and they bite, well they appeared to hurt running over my feet, like little pin pricks. But the worst thing are wasps. I had a massive hornet/wasp in the house in march, took ages to get rid of the thing. next door had a nest once, that was fun. Another thing to add to the horrible list.

I have a few bites, so I suspect it was the ants!

• Like 1