Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The heat haters club 2022

Dami
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for those who don't enjoy the heat to discuss that and offer support to each other through the summer months. If you don't feel similarly and don't have any empathy for those who do, please don't post in here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

Just scrolled through the model thread to see what is potentially in store for us weather wise going forward.  Looks like we heat haters will need to prepare our defences again because Satans breath could well be about to visit yet again.  I read somewhere else the hot spell described as Satans breath and and I thought it an apt description.  There is talk of low to mid 30’s for several days.  Anything over 23c is far too much for me.  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
17 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

Just scrolled through the model thread to see what is potentially in store for us weather wise going forward.  Looks like we heat haters will need to prepare our defences again because Satans breath could well be about to visit yet again.  I read somewhere else the hot spell described as Satans breath and and I thought it an apt description.  There is talk of low to mid 30’s for several days.  Anything over 23c is far too much for me.  

morning all. 🙂

Unfortunately it looks like you will be right.  I have been keeping an eye and it does look like we are in for an extended period of hot weather.  I am sorting the house and getting up early to do stuff while it's cooler but i'm fighting a losing battle. The humidity is something else right now. 

11 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I think it will happen again, with the right set up. Despite a warmer world, the cold will go somewhere and will definitely reach us at some point.

My main worry is, it will happen at a time when most of us won’t be able to afford a cold winter. 

I fear this winter will be tough for many this year, which is why i'm thinking about setting up a 'support' ( to think of a better name) winter thread, so people can discuss the weather and other things that may help, or just to talk. I prefer the cooler months, but i remember all too well the downside (such as de-icing the car at 5:30am)  and now we have the added worry of fuel bills. It partly depends on what other threads appear, but I shall be judging it closer to the time.  

• Like 3

Posted

well back to 28c in the bedroom at night. Just to think some models are showing 40c again. 

I really hope it doesn't verify.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

53 minutes ago, Dami said:

well back to 28c in the bedroom at night. Just to think some models are showing 40c again. 

I really hope it doesn't verify.

Morning President Dami,

and fellow Members of the Heat Hater's Party.

Yes that's horrendous news, if it comes to fruition.

Same with our Bedroom but I fear having fans blasting in our ears and eyes all night long, is starting to affect mine and my Wife's hearing and eyesight. My Wife claims she heard a Sainsbury's advert the other Night for henpecked Avocados, and distressed Prawns,

Meanwhile, this Morning I'm sure I caught sight of a box of a Crotchless Quiche, in our Fridge. 

Could this be the Government's attempt to get Joe Public to buy, value brand food items, I wonder?

My Wife has been dishing up some lovely and light Summery meals. Jacket Potato, Tuna mayonnaise and Coleslaw, Tonight.

Have been keeping an eye on this Thread from afar last Week, as I was hosting a Horse Racing Competition, dedicated to the memory of my dearly, departed Italian Mother [Riposa In Pace[.

Mum came to England in 1947, after marrying my Father, who served in the British Army in the 2nd World War, and met my Father in her home 

Town of Caserta, just north of Naples. 

This is how to eat, in this horrendous heat. Below, Mum on the left with my little Sis with her back to the camera, eating Al Fresco with members of her Italian Family. Plenty of Acqua Minerale, both naturale and frizzante, on the Table.

1758963551_20220126_062503-1-1(2).thumb.jpg.9fc4adeb512a09025e93ca0270ef4ae6.jpg

The Italians know how to live when the temperature hits 40C, which it frequently does in her home Town, during the Summer. Close the shops, have a Siesta, and open again in the early Evening.

But towards the end of her life, even Mum couldn't tolerate heat, anymore.

Regards,

Tom. 👍

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

This is slowly turning into one of the toughest least comfortable Summers for a long time. What i wouldn't give for those lovely Autumn mornings now.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
On 02/08/2022 at 08:43, Dami said:

morning all. 🙂

Unfortunately it looks like you will be right.  I have been keeping an eye and it does look like we are in for an extended period of hot weather.  I am sorting the house and getting up early to do stuff while it's cooler but i'm fighting a losing battle. The humidity is something else right now. 

I fear this winter will be tough for many this year, which is why i'm thinking about setting up a 'support' ( to think of a better name) winter thread, so people can discuss the weather and other things that may help, or just to talk. I prefer the cooler months, but i remember all too well the downside (such as de-icing the car at 5:30am)  and now we have the added worry of fuel bills. It partly depends on what other threads appear, but I shall be judging it closer to the time.  

I love de icing the car! I'm a bit extreme even for this thread. Would be happy if it never got over 20 deg so long as sun came out occasionally.  Would happily live with 10 deg mid summer and not joking!

Perfect day for me is end Oct.  Ground frost and a max of 10 with some hazy autumn sunshine.  365 days would be fine.

• Like 6

Posted

We're (finally!) moving house at the moment - the last three weeks have been lots of complicated admin in the heat and humidity in a flat that remains a furnace no matter what we do. 25.c outside, 29.c inside and the sun isn't even out.

Now in the middle part which is basically arguing with solicitors and end of tenancy deep cleaning while having a mass throw out. Lots of physical work and every day ends with a headache and feeling too hot to eat.

And now we are due more of the same when the packing an moving starts 🙄

But we are moving from a flat to a house with garden! I'll get a paddling pool just in time for a hosepipe ban to start no doubt!

edit: oh I will have to change my username as we're leaving the big trees and the squirrels behind!

Edited by Team Squirrel
  • Like 5

Posted

This is the hottest summer here since we moved. Not enjoying it at all. Keep looking at the models for some sign that the current stuck pattern may breakdown, but realistically looks like we could have another 3-4 weeks of it.

Roll on winter.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,cold weather + summer heatwaves and thunderstorms.
17 minutes ago, mike57 said:

This is the hottest summer here since we moved. Not enjoying it at all. Keep looking at the models for some sign that the current stuck pattern may breakdown, but realistically looks like we could have another 3-4 weeks of it.

Roll on winter.

Yes best summer since 2018 in Brid for sure and probably before that !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I would happily put up with this weather if it lead to some spectacular high altitude electrical storms. Sadly all we get here are the 2 rumble gone in 10 min wonders! I am wondering how bad the rain catchup game will be later in the year.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
5 hours ago, Team Squirrel said:

We're (finally!) moving house at the moment - the last three weeks have been lots of complicated admin in the heat and humidity in a flat that remains a furnace no matter what we do. 25.c outside, 29.c inside and the sun isn't even out.

Now in the middle part which is basically arguing with solicitors and end of tenancy deep cleaning while having a mass throw out. Lots of physical work and every day ends with a headache and feeling too hot to eat.

And now we are due more of the same when the packing an moving starts 🙄

But we are moving from a flat to a house with garden! I'll get a paddling pool just in time for a hosepipe ban to start no doubt!

edit: oh I will have to change my username as we're leaving the big trees and the squirrels behind!

Wishing you every happiness in your new house.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, matt brid said:

Yes best summer since 2018 in Brid for sure and probably before that !

We will agree to disagree over the word 'best' but, yes, we have lived here 15 years and had been staying in the area regularly for 10 years before that, and this summer has produced by far the highest temperatures we have experienced. 2018 produced one hot day, but in general temperatures above 23C are rare here, this year has produced a number of days with 23C plus.

Apart from the generic climate change explanation the thing that I have noticed is that all the hot days have been when there is a strong S to SW wind. This I think overcomes the tendency for a sea breeze to kick in once the inland areas warm up which then moderate the local climate. As a cyclist who goes out every day I notice the wind and it was strong again today  force 5 gusting to 7 from the SW at lunchtime. One of the other noticeable things about this summer has been the wind strength. No doubt all down to the position of the jet stream.

Usually high pressure is associated with calmer conditions, but that hasn't been the case this year.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, mike57 said:

We will agree to disagree over the word 'best' but, yes, we have lived here 15 years and had been staying in the area regularly for 10 years before that, and this summer has produced by far the highest temperatures we have experienced. 2018 produced one hot day, but in general temperatures above 23C are rare here, this year has produced a number of days with 23C plus.

Apart from the generic climate change explanation the thing that I have noticed is that all the hot days have been when there is a strong S to SW wind. This I think overcomes the tendency for a sea breeze to kick in once the inland areas warm up which then moderate the local climate. As a cyclist who goes out every day I notice the wind and it was strong again today  force 5 gusting to 7 from the SW at lunchtime. One of the other noticeable things about this summer has been the wind strength. No doubt all down to the position of the jet stream.

Usually high pressure is associated with calmer conditions, but that hasn't been the case this year.

An excellent posting Mike - and for sure you are spot on about the hottest days coming from a windy south westerly set up.I used to believe the highest temperatures here in the summer come from calm conditions, but this is often not the case - as a sea breeze starts to kick in from late morning or early afternoon.

What's needed is a fresh westerly / south westerly or possibly southerly wind direction and decent heat inland. Then temperatures can shoot up here (no sea breeze of course in that set up).

I remember the hot day in 2018 and it was around 29-30c . It was a sweltering day and with a moderate to fresh south westerly wind blowing.

It's a lot cooler tonight now the humidity has disappeared over the last 5 hours . Last night was very humid indeed !

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, mike57 said:

Roll on winter.

Yeah, seeing the model thread getting all excited about even more dry and warm to hot weather, while the south/south east is facing hose pipe bans and fire risk just raises my blood. 

I know, I know, it's a weather forum and people like extremes and blah blah, but being interested in weather doesnt make you immune to having some empathy for areas facing genuine risk because of this prolonged dry and warm period. 

It certainly feels like we're going to be facing this weather for a good while yet, and potentially beyond when we'd expect it, in to Autumn.

• Like 3

Posted

Oh god wake me up when we finally have the first day below 20.0c and it stays there because it doesn't look like that or a downpour that lasts more than a few hours is coming at least before the end of the 3rd week of August.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
15 minutes ago, legion_quest said:

Yeah, seeing the model thread getting all excited about even more dry and warm to hot weather, while the south/south east is facing hose pipe bans and fire risk just raises my blood. 

I know, I know, it's a weather forum and people like extremes and blah blah, but being interested in weather doesnt make you immune to having some empathy for areas facing genuine risk because of this prolonged dry and warm period. 

It certainly feels like we're going to be facing this weather for a good while yet, and potentially beyond when we'd expect it, in to Autumn.

The good thing is, September sun is toothless. Even through August, the midday sun won't feel as strong as it did in late June or early July. By mid August the sun altitude here is 52 degrees, compare that to 60 degrees that we had during that exceptional spell. Optimal surface heating is nowhere near what it would be a month prior.

I tend not to care less how hot it gets in August because I know summer is nearing its last legs.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, legion_quest said:

Morning President Dami, 

And all my fellow colleagues, in the Heat Haters Party.

Totally agree with my fellow colleague, above.

Those baying in the MAD Thread for more of what we endured in July, should try and come and live in the South East, and trying to sleep in a tiny bedroom.  They might well, think again. But I'd better be quiet about that, otherwise I'll be labelled a "Guilt Tripper"!! 

Still very warm and humid, here in S.E. London, with the "Cavalry" gradually making inroads, from the N.W.:

image.thumb.png.40615daffe61a5288f9898167360364b.png

Just a little footnote, regarding my post Yesterday, about my Italian Mother.

We certainly are in need of rain, especially down here in the South East but lets hope it falls more gently than it did on my Mother's home Town, of Caserta in Southern Italy, as it did in June 2011. Below is a Youtube clip of that event and apologies if you can understand any Neapolitan expletives uttered, the locals tend to get a bit excited about such things!!:

BTW, GRANDINATA translates as Hailstorm. 

Regards,

Tom. 👍 

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 3

Posted

Afternoon everyone and great posts @TomSE12

It is much cooler now thank heavens, had to resort to our summer duvet last night but very welcomed i could do that none the least. House still warm while i sorted out some things, but cloudy so no sun making it warmer.

I am hoping for rain. Where we live there is a piece of waste ground, which  at one time was earmarked for a petrol station but it never happened, but what we do have it is a car park which was 'supposed'   to be a park and ride and yet again that didn't happen.

What we do have is a meeting ground for the many youths in the area, loud music (which is the kind i like, lol., so i don't mind as much) revving engines, drug taking well you get the idea. All it takes is a lit match or discarded cigarette and our houses would be in trouble.  I'm hoping people are sensible. 

• Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, Dami said:

It is much cooler now thank heavens, had to resort to our summer duvet last night but very welcomed i could do that none the least. House still warm while i sorted out some things, but cloudy so no sun making it warmer.

I am hoping for rain. Where we live there is a piece of waste ground, which  at one time was earmarked for a petrol station but it never happened, but what we do have it is a car park which was 'supposed'   to be a park and ride and yet again that didn't happen.

What we do have is a meeting ground for the many youths in the area, loud music (which is the kind i like, lol., so i don't mind as much) revving engines, drug taking well you get the idea. All it takes is a lit match or discarded cigarette and our houses would be in trouble.  I'm hoping people are sensible. 

It's just another Ol Blighty Day as they say !

Posted
19 minutes ago, Dami said:

Much thanks for your kind words, President,

Would you like a little bit of thundery stuff [as I know you're a Brontophile], to go with your rain?

This incredible light display, was captured over Mum's home Town of Caserta, Italy, in October 2017.

Regards,

Tom. 👍 

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

Posted

Why are people so hell bent on getting another heatwave? We can’t cool the house down still and it’s just unbearable most evenings. And of course the endless dry spell in the south. I’m happy for autumn to arrive now!

• Like 4

Posted
53 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Much thanks for your kind words, President,

Would you like a little bit of thundery stuff [as I know you're a Brontophile], to go with your rain?

This incredible light display, was captured over Mum's home Town of Caserta, Italy, in October 2017.

Regards,

Tom. 👍 

I love looking at storms on you tube, really makes me want to wake up to the sound of an approaching storm, as we have had one storm here this year. I would gladly take some thunder with the rain for sure! 🙂 

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, lottiekent said:

Why are people so hell bent on getting another heatwave? We can’t cool the house down still and it’s just unbearable most evenings. And of course the endless dry spell in the south. I’m happy for autumn to arrive now!

Totally agree with you Lottie.

I've noticed that most of those individuals wishing for more heatwave conditions, live up to the North and North West of the Country.

I had my usual Afternoon Siesta, which is absolutely necessary after my stamina was severely affected by the Stroke I experienced in September 2015, especially as I'm not being able to sleep that well at Night, due to the accumulated heat in our Bedroom, and an ongoing medical condition. Even though, as you can see from the Meteociel chart below, fortunately the Relative Humidity has now dropped to 44%, after being in the 60's and 70's, for the past few Days.

image.thumb.png.8e224d5405552903ad6948f8c40083e3.png

To reference my Italian Mother, it does seem to me that our Climate is becoming more Mediterranean like.  

Some members of Joe Public and indeed Netweather, are under the misconception that heat automatically equates to Thunder.

I was fortunate to meet South East Meteorologist Ian Currie, around ten Years ago and during the very warm Summer of 2018, I had a conversation with Mr. Currie, regarding the lack of Thunder Days during the Summer Months in South East England. His reply is still ringing in my ears. He remarked that quote: "It can be as hot as Hell, if there is no trigger in the Atmosphere, it simply won't Thunder.

I vividly remember walking down to our local Supermarket with my Wife, one very warm late Sunday Morning. A few clouds were trying to form above our heads but were quickly dissipating, in front of our eyes. The Atmosphere was simply too dry to support any cloud formation.

Even though the Youtube clip I posted back up the Thread was of serious flooding after a Hailstorm/Cloudburst, emptied over my Mother's home Town of Caserta, the main thundery action seems to happen in the transition from Summer to Autumn. High pressure that has been dominating the Mediterranean during the Summer Months, eventually gets eroded and Atlantic sourced air starts to invade the Med. Basin.

Italy does experience T/Storms during the Summer Months but these tend to be of the dry, electrical variety, that form over the mountainous interior. As we know, Italy is a very narrow Peninsula, and Sea Breezes converge from the Adriatic to the East, and the Tyrrhenian Sea to the West, and trigger electrical Storms over the Appenine Mountain range.

image.thumb.png.05141ed3234d5ff1bbddec46c6647a41.png

If you view the Youtube video clip that I posted earlier this Afternoon, if you look closely enough you can see the lightning clearly illuminating the Appenine mountains, to the East of Caserta. As you can see from the map of Southern Italy below, Caserta sits in the Plain of Campania, with the Appenine Mountsains, to the East.

image.thumb.png.11da475554865b642a488a0f9602f6c0.png

When I visited Caserta in October 1997, I witnessed a couple of "humdingers". During one my Cousin was driving down to our Uncles, in nearby Castellamare, the Autostrada [Italian Motorway], soon became awash with rainwater rushing down from the sides of the Road. There was a lot of aquaplaning going on, and it became a very scary journey.

Our Climate is certainly changing, as can be witnessed by some stark differences in Synoptic patterns we are now experiencing.

Back in the 1960's/70's when I was a lot younger, you could guarantee a few thundery, Southerly sourced "plumes" every Summer but in recent Years, these have been non-existent.   

The same can be said in our Winter Months, when I was a lot younger in the 1960's/70's, I could expect to witness a few decent Snow events, in my home Town of Bromley, Kent. Of course, we did have the "Beast from the East" visit us in February 2018 but these decent Snowfalls are now becoming few and far between.

Perhaps President Dami fancies starting a Winter, Mild Haters Party. Count me in President.

Regards,

Tom. 👍  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

After the recent warm, cloudy and humid weather here, today has been completely the opposite - mostly sunny, a couple of showers in the morning. Max of only 18.3°C, now 15.9°C with only 56% humidity. Sunny too. Max dew point of only 9.4°C. A pleasant cool, sunny, breezy, fresh feeling day. 😎 My favourite kind of weather in summer. More of this please.

• Like 5