Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The heat haters club 2022

Dami
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for those who don't enjoy the heat to discuss that and offer support to each other through the summer months. If you don't feel similarly and don't have any empathy for those who do, please don't post in here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning President Dami and fellow Heat Haters,

Hope I find yourselves and your Families well, and prepared for this latest burst of horrendous heat.

Think the heat is already getting to me, or my problematic eyesight, was responsible for the following typo: 

QUOTE:

"We plan to get out early Tomorrow Morning and be back before Noon, before the hat of the Day, kicks in".

Should've gone to Specsavers.

Well, I hope my hat doesn't kick me and protects me from the still very strong UV Levels and stays firmly on my bonce, when my Wife and myaelf, venture out for a bit of exercise, in an hour or so!!

Wasn't too bad a Night for sleeping but we still required two fans operating in our tiny Bedroom.

We have a 2 up, 2 down Housing Association property, which has to be the most poorly designed property I've lived in for comfort, when a very warm/hot period is experienced, during the Summer Months. Ironically this House was designed by my Wife's Sister-in-Law, from her previous marriage. Build 'em small, knock 'em up quickly and coin the rent in, from the Tenants. The back of our House, including our Lounge faces East and as soon as the Sun rises, even with curtains closed, sends the temperature sky rocketing and even with two fans on, stays uncomfortable until Lunchtime. Our Bedroom, not big enough to swing a Cat in, faces West and even with our blinds and curtains closed, gets the full force of the Afternoon Sun, and also needs two fans on to allow Yours Truly to have a semi comfortable, Afternoon Siesta.

Still hoping for our dream move to a couple of miles inland from the West Sussex Coast, to a Bungalow. Then hopefully we can escape future intolerable heat of, South East London Summers and experience some cooling Sea breezes, during any Summer heatl. 

Below, is a Meteociel Chart, showing the latest Temps, Dew Point, Relative Humidity, etc, etc,

Our nearest recording Station of London City Airport, is showing - Temp. [16c], Dew Pt [15c], R/H [94%]

That's already in the very uncomfortable bracket, for humidity!!

image.thumb.png.f19c89d2a8045ef63f9a04423072b805.png

With that in mind, myself and Colette are having a very early Morning before the Heat or my Hat, kicks in!!

Anyway, now for a bit of good news, even Darren "at least it will be mild" Bett and scourge of NW Cold and Snow lovers, is singing from the same hymn sheet, as Tomasz Schafernaker of Gdansk, with talk of a cool down early next Week:

BBC Weather - Home

Make it so, Darren of  Scunthorpe, otherwise no Knighthood for you!!

But don't smile when you mention mild temperatures, during this coming Winter, otherwise any Knighthood bestowed upon you, can just as quickly be taken away.

Regards,

Tom. 👍 😓

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Morning all. Todays Met0 viewing does not read well for us heat haters. Amber heat alert for 4 days, with a little hope of a light rain shower at the end.

We were blessed with a nice breeze last night and out room went down to 22c which felt lovely. Still up early to do some things before the heat kicks in. 

Fingers crossed it isn't as warm as expected. 🤞

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
15 hours ago, Wold Topper said:

Prosecco? 😉😂😂

Always have a small bottle handy. love a bit of fizz. And beer. Cans of beer in there too. Although when it's hot i tend to be good and stick to lemonade! 👍

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I am enjoying this weather and it makes a change to have a sunny anticyclonic spell in August. HOWEVER, I do want a seasonal September for a change too. So if warmer than average conditions persist well into September then I will be joining this club. 🙂 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and quiet; snow can be nice too
On 07/08/2022 at 19:57, JR319 said:

I bet the fire brigade hate this hot & dry weather, with increasing amounts of fires breaking out. 

I hope we end up having a washout for having to put up with this. 

More than a few critical pieces of infrastructure need one...

That's the bit I really don't get. I understand that many and perhaps most people actually like the evil daystar on some level and benefit as much from its presence as I, with penguin-like thermal preferences and bat-like lighting preferences, benefit from its absence. But when it starts adding disruption to an already disrupted infrastructure...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
30 minutes ago, mathematician said:

Most people are totally oblivious to how much we need rain...

I just hope that after this second and longer heatwave we will see some!

Yeah, most won't know and likely won't care till the taps stop flowing in their homes. Hopefully rain comes back soon.

Anyway, back to the heat - I thought it felt quite pleasant up here today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 hours ago, Dami said:

Morning all. Todays Met0 viewing does not read well for us heat haters. Amber heat alert for 4 days, with a little hope of a light rain shower at the end.

We were blessed with a nice breeze last night and out room went down to 22c which felt lovely. Still up early to do some things before the heat kicks in. 

Fingers crossed it isn't as warm as expected. 🤞

Unreal! no doubt upgraded to red nearer the time for Stafford area! hope it isn't as warm as expected too, meto only going for 30 here Thu to Sat, no higher I hope

Never wanted a return to the Atlantic as much as this! and I hate Atlantic weather

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

There we have it 34C to 35C widespread on Saturday and Sunday could well go higher.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I'll be hibernating in my room with the a/c set to 24C. Might get invaded with brother and his kids....

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, The PIT said:

There we have it 34C to 35C widespread on Saturday and Sunday could well go higher.

Although The BBC website is still quite adamant about a breakdown on Monday (and has been for a few days now).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

And this is one of the reasons why I hate hot dry summers so much.

Stupid thick brain dead teenagers with less than 2 neurons rubbing or rattling together in their empty juvenile heads.   Late this afternoon whilst watering my neighbours pots and baskets I could smell burning and the tell tale shrieks emanating from the tinder dry woodland at the rear of my property.   Given the strong smell of burning, the close proximity to dwellings and the dryness of the trees and woodlands I went to investigate.  After a few terse words and a roasting (no pun intended)  I moved around 10 female teenagers out of the middle of the woods only to discover they had - yes, a lighted portable barbecue   They couldn’t have skedaddled any quicker to get away but I could see the contraption was not fully doused.   The fire service have been out to check it and they have dealt with it fully.  Where is the common sense?  Such selfish stupid behaviour.  

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Unreal! no doubt upgraded to red nearer the time for Stafford area! hope it isn't as warm as expected too, meto only going for 30 here Thu to Sat, no higher I hope

Never wanted a return to the Atlantic as much as this! and I hate Atlantic weather

I cannot wait for at least a week of daily 24 hour wall to wall rain.  

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
56 minutes ago, Weather26 said:

Although The BBC website is still quite adamant about a breakdown on Monday (and has been for a few days now).

BBC Look North still forecasting a big change to cooler and unsettled conditions early next week for here in Yorkshire. 

Expected really as we head into second half of August. 

• Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Well my dears i'm the verge of rejoining ... Give it to the end of the week and i'll be here ...

Told you it was a mistake to defect, to the dark side Sb!! Lol.

I'm sure President Dami will be pleased to welcome you back.

Recent situation at my local Recording Station,. of London City Airport. Temp - 23C. Dew Point - 13C.Relative Humidity - 53%.:
image.thumb.png.742cc9e5529d6ad288788c4cf72f8d74.png

Probably. just a couple of relatively comfortable nights, before that horrendous heat is back again, until Sunday. 

Mr Schafernaker still making a claim to become Sir Tomasz of Gdansk, with the following good news [hopefully]:

Weather for the Week Ahead - BBC Weather

My Brontophobic tendencies would prefer the transition to cooler air, not to be accompanied by flashing, crashing and banging but beggars can't be choosers. If I have to run the gauntlet of a Thundery breakdown, sobeit. Anything to get some relief, from this horrendous heat.

The Summer started so promisingly as well, with the Azores High, often an enemy of Cold Lovers in the Winter, was behaving itself in  June by remaining to our S.W., allowing a cooler W/N.W. flow, over the U.K. But during July and early August, it's become our enemy, by ridging over the U.K., and back in July migrating to our East, to allow that stifling heat to invade the U.K, from the South.

Will someone anaesthetize me until Tuesday, when by then it will finally be all over and as our Friend Lassie23 stated the over Day, crawl back under the stone from whence it came and not to darken our doorstep again. Well for another 10 Months, at least!!

Stay cool and hydrated, Colleagues.

Regards,

Tom. 👍 😓 

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
On 08/08/2022 at 21:38, Sidsnake said:

Heat can make people feel extremely unwell. 

Already overdone it once this summer working outside chopping logs in the sun. I always wear a wide brimmed sun hat, but I still overheated. Paid the price the next day, splitting headache and spent half the morning on the bog. Also got a ticking off from Mrs Mike57. Fortunately no lasting damage, just felt sorry for myself.

Some people seem better equipped to cope with heat than others, I am a big lad, 20 plus stone and 6ft, even although I cycle 10 miles every day, and I think you don't loose heat as easily. On the flip side cold never bothers me. In winter the only time I wear a thick coat is if I am going to be standing about. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
1 hour ago, mike57 said:

Already overdone it once this summer working outside chopping logs in the sun. I always wear a wide brimmed sun hat, but I still overheated. Paid the price the next day, splitting headache and spent half the morning on the bog. Also got a ticking off from Mrs Mike57. Fortunately no lasting damage, just felt sorry for myself.

Some people seem better equipped to cope with heat than others, I am a big lad, 20 plus stone and 6ft, even although I cycle 10 miles every day, and I think you don't loose heat as easily. On the flip side cold never bothers me. In winter the only time I wear a thick coat is if I am going to be standing about. 

About the same as me Mike... I never feel the cold.  I haven't dared venture in the model output thread..... I'm staying put here!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
4 hours ago, Snowycat said:

And this is one of the reasons why I hate hot dry summers so much.

Stupid thick brain dead teenagers with less than 2 neurons rubbing or rattling together in their empty juvenile heads.   Late this afternoon whilst watering my neighbours pots and baskets I could smell burning and the tell tale shrieks emanating from the tinder dry woodland at the rear of my property.   Given the strong smell of burning, the close proximity to dwellings and the dryness of the trees and woodlands I went to investigate.  After a few terse words and a roasting (no pun intended)  I moved around 10 female teenagers out of the middle of the woods only to discover they had - yes, a lighted portable barbecue   They couldn’t have skedaddled any quicker to get away but I could see the contraption was not fully doused.   The fire service have been out to check it and they have dealt with it fully.  Where is the common sense?  Such selfish stupid behaviour.  

Couldn't agree more.  I've just had to report to my local borough Councillor evidence of two ground fires in a green surrounded by houses.  Fires were out but the evidence remains. People can be utter idiots in this weather.  The Borough Councillor has taken it very seriously and fired off various emails tonight.

• Like 3

Posted
6 hours ago, Frosty hollows said:

I'm off to Filey next week and cannot wait to escape the erm breakdown 🙄🙄🙄 30c today.20c Monday 😂

I live just down the coast and we do miss the worst of the heat. As discussed in the local thread highest temperatures here seem to occur when you have a strong SW wind, which overcome the onshore sea breeze that normally develops during hot spells. We had 29C with a strong wind and that felt like satans breath, and a couple of 26C days, still way too hot, but nowhere near the temperatures even 20 miles inland. Normally the sea breeze kicks in around lunchtime and pegs the temperatures back to low 20s. Because of our location any wind direction from NNW to SE is coming off the North Sea.

• Like 3

Posted

Morning President Dami,

and fellow Heat Haters.

Hope I find yourselves and your Families well, and prepared for what we are about to receive from the Weather Gods.

I see some  of the Heat Lovers are claiming, there will be no breakdown of heatwave conditions but not according to UKMO/GFS 

UKMO at t120 and t144 [Monday/Tuesday]

image.thumb.png.a812585ba56459f891ab282e43e4896e.png image.thumb.png.d23ce5f6c1287f1aa7fade03cfdc2b85.png

At the same time frame, GFS shows, the following:

image.thumb.png.f0c8ea658861935a426fe62b9de737c2.png image.thumb.png.270d39db8b40c588649cfbbf5c96c523.png

Meanwhile, the lovely Dame Laura of Northampton, is holding the line:

20220810_070112.thumb.jpg.a5ed6d3886b8955f21ec6be9ce323f6b.jpg  20220810_070212.thumb.jpg.5656834d686fd766f7fba49f6da52b79.jpg

Now this from ECMWF, at t120 and t144:

image.thumb.png.9920e9d8b94cdc7c50aa5c3cbc35ce00.png image.thumb.png.97a0b8c78d965e7cba67bcf280d695f0.png

To my non technical eye, that certainly looks like a Thundery breakdown to me;. 

Not sure what part of the Forum, I saw the post on but as one Member stated, what we lose in temperature is offset, by quite a rise in humidity levels, unfortunately. That looks especially so, on the ECMWF model.

Can't ever recall the Met Office, releasing one of these before, Fire Severity Index. Very worrying for the South East, in particular:

Fsi - Met Office

The disappearance of the exceptional high bracket [Pink], seems to coincide with the possibility of their forecast Thundery breakdown. 

Che sera, sera. If it has to go bang, sobeit!! As long as we come out the other side, of this horrendous spell of heat.

As for Mr Tomasz Schafernaker of Gdansk, I hope you weren't telling porkies yesterday Evening, with your promise of cooler Weather.

I hope Dame Laura, puts you to shame Tomasz.

Regards,

Tom. 👍 😓

Edited by Tom Quintavalle
  • Like 1

Posted

Morning again,

Have just seen the end of the 00z ECMWF run, and it's a worrying trend for us Heat Haters.

it now takes until t216 [Day 9], to disperse the heat:

image.thumb.png.d03394402ff0ea28f83e0bd6051e259c.png 

Not sure I'm liking the way the heat is lurking just to the S.E, of us. Surely not another kick in the stomach, as we head into September.

Sort it out Weather Gods, that's officially a Month of the Autumn Season!!

Meanwhile, I see that humidity levels are starting to rise:

image.thumb.png.51b696c1c26bd4ade7f4c14b8717f607.png

LONDON CITY AIRPORT: Temp - 19c, Dew Point - 15c, Relative Humidity - 78%.

Thankfully, myself and 'er indoors had a reasonable night, in the black hole of Kolkata [our Bedroom].

We still needed two fans on, mind. But it started to feel a bit chilly, later in the night.

So much so, that we had to pull the Duvet cover over us. My Wife had taken out the actual Duvet, a few Days earlier.

Colette asked me if I thought she should buy a fourth [yes 4th] fan for our Bedroom but I couldn't see the point of that.

There would be no place to put it, for a start. It would probably just be circulating hot air, in a couple of night's time, plus our Electric Smart Meter, will be crying out to be fed again!!.

We're holding back the third fan, until the heat really kicks in but that could well be Tonight, if that humidity keeps on rising!1

Regards,

Tom. 👍 😓

• Like 1