Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The heat haters club 2022

Dami
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for those who don't enjoy the heat to discuss that and offer support to each other through the summer months. If you don't feel similarly and don't have any empathy for those who do, please don't post in here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and quiet; snow can be nice too
47 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

I feel for you.  My mums friend’s hubby is in heart failure using piped oxygen overnight and as needed during the day bless him.   To add insult to injury he and his wife have caught COVID now and the only place they have been is to hospital appointments.  I do fear for him next week with heart failure, COVID and having to cope with excessive heat.   Rain wise, we done a little better in this part of the UK but everything is drying up like a crisp once again and I can fully understand your fears for wildfires.  Our cul de sac of bungalows are surrounded on two sides by woods and farms - worrying indeed. 

That sounds absolutely terrifying - sympathies.

Dreading this spell. Doesn't look like we'll be far short of the peak we reached last month, and it'll be for longer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Heat to be back this week not up to 40's but I suspect strongly we will get a new record for August. Rainfall wise yesterday was first dry day for 18 Days. However rainfall amounts have generally been low with 7.2mm being the highest.

I expect more fires to breakout and with the fire service being cut down if the hot weather stays a long time there could serious ramifications.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Looking at the GFS and if it came off London and the South East may see 38C again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Looking at the GFS and if it came off London and the South East may see 38C again.

Indeed, PIT: and CCDs will still be in denial!😱

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, Stationary Front said:

Perfect summer day yesterday 23 max with 8.8 min 

Perfect summers day today! and next 2 days, but then going horrid

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, The PIT said:

Heat to be back this week not up to 40's but I suspect strongly we will get a new record for August. Rainfall wise yesterday was first dry day for 18 Days. However rainfall amounts have generally been low with 7.2mm being the highest.

I expect more fires to breakout and with the fire service being cut down if the hot weather stays a long time there could serious ramifications.

Well then lets hope to god the alleged breakdown due around 14th-16th comes off.

• Like 3

Posted

I bet the fire brigade hate this hot & dry weather, with increasing amounts of fires breaking out. 

I hope we end up having a washout for having to put up with this. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
3 hours ago, The PIT said:

I couldn't agree more.  I'm down here in Kent.  Many if not, most Farmers are now having to feed their livestock.  A Farmer friend of mine did mention today that there is talk of portable BBQS being banned for the moment.  At the risk of sounding a party pooper I personally think ALL BBQS and fires should currently be banned.  As a good friend of mine said and rightly so "it only takes one ember"... absolutely right in these conditions.

• Like 6

Posted
10 hours ago, Sidsnake said:

I couldn't agree more.  I'm down here in Kent.  Many if not, most Farmers are now having to feed their livestock.  A Farmer friend of mine did mention today that there is talk of portable BBQS being banned for the moment.  At the risk of sounding a party pooper I personally think ALL BBQS and fires should currently be banned.  As a good friend of mine said and rightly so "it only takes one ember"... absolutely right in these conditions.

Portable BBQs should be banned for good immediately. People always make a big mess with them, even when there's no drought.

Another heatwave is the last thing this country needs right now. We need rain. Badly.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
10 minutes ago, mathematician said:

Portable BBQs should be banned for good immediately. People always make a big mess with them, even when there's no drought.

Another heatwave is the last thing this country needs right now. We need rain. Badly.

We desperately need a few months of good solid rain, the up coming heatwave as you say is the last thing both us, the wildlife, farmers, the NHS need at this time. OK if your sitting on your backside in your garden but for those actually working and trying to earn a living to pay those bills it is the very last thing we want or need.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
12 hours ago, The PIT said:

Morning President Dami and fellow Heat Haters.

Hope I find yourselves and your Families well, and well prepared for another blast of horrendous heat.

Although the figures on the link below, are now out of date. It's interesting to have a retrospective look at the temps that were recorded, on 10th August, 2003.

Highest Temperature in UK - Current Results

I can vividly remember Sunday 10th August, very well. Sitting in my Partner's apartment in Anerley, S.E. London, feeling like a wet rag, fit for nothing and nothing wanting to feel like that again,

Below, are the 500hPa, 850hPa and 2 metre charts, from 12z on Sunday 10th August, 2003.

image.thumb.png.43bf9af4d827c21d8877ef79284e6e06.png image.thumb.png.ad5ea6266a4819971e6d23a6a51dde1e.png image.thumb.png.46e2e18a6cc1ba52ddb11d5ee629571f.png

So, here we are just short of 20 Years later, facing yet more horrendously high temperatures, after the July "horror show"

But sit tight, fellow Heat Haters, let's hope UKMO are on the ball, with this chart from their 00z Run:

00z Sunday 14th August

image.thumb.png.5fd7b91c5faa302fa0a03300eecc0bb4.png

G.F.S. get there a Day later, with a seemingly less dramatic breakdown.

Just waiting for the ECMWF to finish it's 00z Run, and hoping for a clean sweep of more pleasant temperatures, by early next Week.

Totally agree with the comments of SIDSNAKE and THE PIT above.

I also think BBQ's should be banned. One of our neighbours was having one Yesterday Evening, and both myself and my Wife commented on it being a bit irresponsible. Another wild-fire broke out in Feltham West London, last Night. Recently, there were wild-fires just to the East of here, in Lee, at Bexleyheath. With another one reported, some Six miles South of here, in West Wickham.

A few Days ago we received a letter from our local Borough Council [Lewisham], alerting us to be aware of fire hazards, such as having a BBQ.

Having a Birthday in early September, I'm fully aware of how warm/hot the beginning of this Month, can be.

I suppose the next temperature landmark we need to keep an eye, is the record temperature for September.

As I understand it, that stands at 34.4C [93.;9F] and recorded at Gravesend in Kent, on 13th September 2016.

Below, are the 500hPa, 850hPa and 2 metre charts, from 12z Tuesday 13th September 2016.  

image.thumb.png.2a8a003bb2e5310bb9fb15be0e801621.png   image.thumb.png.89eb5cbed4464f939c9225338b7da756.png  image.thumb.png.7a0fddb1494eba879b12df59baeec54a.png

But hang in there Heat Haters, as sure as Night follows Day, this horrendous Summer will soon be on it's last legs, and it will be time for the Season of "mellow fruitfulness", and Lassie's October Fog Index.

Although the Heat Lovers may be in denial, they've had their Day in the Sun/Heat, it's time for us Heat Haters, to have our Day in a cooler Sun.

Totally agree with this comment from LASSIE23, that he posted on Saturday:

QUOTE:

"Enough hot weather, return to the stone you crawled from under and never visit this island again. Unless you keep it to a pleasant 24c during the day and 9c at night, then come in and take seat."

Because of these ludicrously high temperatures, myself and my Wife have had to curtail our exercise walking, which was beginning to pay dividends, in reducing our weight and improving our health, in general.

We plan to get out early Tomorrow Morning and be back before Noon, before the hat of the Day, kicks in.

That will probably be the last of our walks, until the temperature drops back from "silly" numbers, hopefully next Week.

Regards,

Tom. 👍  😓

• Like 4

Posted

We're just waiting for BBC Carol to give weather for the week.  Another thing I'm worried about is all this hay Farmers are feeding livestock is the very hay that should be being fed to them in the winter.  This really is going to have knock on ramifications.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Sidsnake said:

We're just waiting for BBC Carol to give weather for the week.  Another thing I'm worried about is all this hay Farmers are feeding livestock is the very hay that should be being fed to them in the winter.  This really is going to have knock on ramifications.

There's one thing that'll help, I think (once again recalling September 1976): come the breakdown, which is inevitable, there'll be a kind of 'second spring'? It might even help Welsh Water sort out their 'leek' problem!😱

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
54 minutes ago, markyo said:

We desperately need a few months of good solid rain, the up coming heatwave as you say is the last thing both us, the wildlife, farmers, the NHS need at this time. OK if your sitting on your backside in your garden but for those actually working and trying to earn a living to pay those bills it is the very last thing we want or need.

I'm worried we'll get a boat load of torrential rain which will just cause flash floods on the rock hard ground.

Also I do think portable BBQ's need to be banned ASAP.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

morning everyone, well here we go again. 😞

Rough night sleep, although the night temps ended up here at 13c, after an hour of having the oven on the house was still 25c.

I feel too for all the people that have worrying health issues, as my husband also has breathing issues and can't tolerate the heat. My daughter also seems to get heat exhaustion quite quickly so i know how stressful it can be making sure everyone is comfortable, drinking plenty and cool. 

At least for my area we wouldn't be seeing 40c again, but days of 30+ is no walk in the park either. 

Hopefully this will the last blast before things cool down ready for Autumn. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

I don't know if this due to the heat but my left elbow, left wrist, left knee, left heel and ankle as well as my foot arch and mini bunion are very painful.  I also feel drained of all energy as though I have not had any sleep even though I slept well and went to bed earlier last night as I feel exhausted.  I am getting so desperate for rain that I have started putting pots of water (mostly water that has been used for washing the dishes) to increase the humidity in the air.  I do not know if I have succeeded or not.  When I am walking I look like 'Hop-along Cassidy'.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Tom and Dami I hope you will have a lovely walk.  I keep on seeing a message that says Team Squirrel is writing and who Team Squirrel is.  On my laptop computer I have several images showing rain along with my smart phone as it shows desperate I am for rain. 

• Like 2

Posted

My partner just booked Friday off even though we have a house move  next month and not much annual leave left. Why? His boss refusing to install any kind of air conditioning into the boiling, airless  attic room office my partner works in, meaning it will be unbearable in there by the end of the week. He felt so ill during the July heatwave despite being allowed to start and leave earlier. I can't believe we are in a situation whereby we have used up 3 days of annual leave this year because of red weather warnings and heatwaves and a boss who is completely unsympathetic to the working conditions of his staff. 

Work places are going to have to take heatwaves much more seriously in the future, especially in smaller offices in converted buildings where there is no air con or circulation.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
31 minutes ago, Katrine Basso said:

I don't know if this due to the heat but my left elbow, left wrist, left knee, left heel and ankle as well as my foot arch and mini bunion are very painful.  I also feel drained of all energy as though I have not had any sleep even though I slept well and went to bed earlier last night as I feel exhausted.  I am getting so desperate for rain that I have started putting pots of water (mostly water that has been used for washing the dishes) to increase the humidity in the air.  I do not know if I have succeeded or not.  When I am walking I look like 'Hop-along Cassidy'.

It may due to the dry heat.  I certain struggle with the dry conditions (Sjogrens) and I have to say my joints have been playing me up and I have crepitus in both knees and my elbow joints. Something snapped in my left knee during the last heatwave and I have only just been able to drive as I couldn’t keep my knee bent long enough to operate the clutch, wearing knee support in hot weather was uncomfortable as well.   Very strange too during the hot dry summer in 2018 my plantar fasciitis was particularly bad.  I’ve been largely free of it until this summer when it is threatening to kick off again - not sure if it is coincidence or not.   

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Dami said:

morning everyone, well here we go again. 😞

Rough night sleep, although the night temps ended up here at 13c, after an hour of having the oven on the house was still 25c.

I feel too for all the people that have worrying health issues, as my husband also has breathing issues and can't tolerate the heat. My daughter also seems to get heat exhaustion quite quickly so i know how stressful it can be making sure everyone is comfortable, drinking plenty and cool. 

At least for my area we wouldn't be seeing 40c again, but days of 30+ is no walk in the park either. 

Hopefully this will the last blast before things cool down ready for Autumn. 

Hear! hear! President Dami. 

Yes, this crazy heat is causing a myriad of health problems, as Katrine alludes to above.

I remember the very warm/hot spell in the Summer of 2018, with worrying memories.

My left ankle area swelled up to twice the size of my right, and my Wife was very concerned that I was about to have another Stroke.

You could literally see fluid slopping about under the skin, in the ankle area.

So, she took me off to Sidcup Hospital's, Urgent Care Dept.

Eventually I saw a Doctor, who diagnosed Heat Exhaustion but I explained to the Doctor that I hadn't even been out in the Sun.

He came back with the reply, that in such high temps as we've been having, you don't have to and if you live in a property that retains heat, that can be enough, to cause such symptoms.   After checking my Blood Pressure, which was fine fortunately, sent me on my way with the advice to keep my left foot elevated and to make sure I'm drinking plenty, and the swelling should soon disappear. Fortunately it did, the following Day.

My Wife has given up on using the Oven, and just uses the Electric Hobs, for a short while. Even that sends the temperature shooting up. It is very noticeable, as you climb the stairs up to the Bathroom and our Bedroom.

My Wife has been using our Microwave, much more than our Cooker.

We've been having a lot of Microwaveable Jacket Potatoes, with Tuna Mayo and Coleslaw.

Also, cold sliced meats with new Potatoes and Salad items. Fortunately Colette is very adept at making a variety of light Summery meals, without having to use our Cooker. 

Just been informed we have sliced, cold Chicken with either a Jacket Potato or new Potatoes and Salad, this Evening. 

As I stated earlier, this blasted Weather is forcing us to curtail our late Morning, exercise walking. 

We walked three Miles on Friday, and it was so refreshing to be out in the fresher air on that Day. The cooling N.W. breeze felt so nice on our skin, after that horrendous spell, in the 3rd Week of July.

I made the mistake of not postponing a Walk around that time, and I'm sure I had a touch of Sunstroke, when we got back home that Day, even though I had worn a Panama Trilby, throughout that walk.

I see someone on the MAD Thread posted these Fire Risk Warning charts, a couple of hours ago.  The square of red over S.E. London, is right over us here, in Lee. Don't think we'll be walking anywhere near any long grassland or heavily wooded areas, any time soon and not until we've had a good drop of rain.

image.png.c6721928bc846d8fa94e2e0e7f336ada.png image.png.c07938d43385eab50bbd51972bc6768b.png

Regards,

Tom. 👍 😓

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

phew 27c and already I am finding excuses to open the fridge. 🥵

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Dami said:

Evening President and fellow Heat Haters,

Hope you are all prepared for the next Week of disgustingly high temps!!

Managed to get some kip, during this Afternoon's Siesta but needed two fans on in our Bedroom to achieve it.

Just finished a lovely refreshing Evening meal of cool, sliced Chicken Tikka, new potatoes, lettuce beetroot and spring onion.

It was absolutely delicious and plenty enough, with the heat increasing again. Never feel like eating much, in this Weather.

Have requested some Mackerel Salads, in the coming Week.

Can't remember if I awarded an honorary Knighthood to Mr Tomasz Schafernaker, back in July, for helping to banish the last heatwave, from whence it came. His colleagues have certainly blotted their copybooks, with allowing "silly" numbers back on their Temperature Charts.

But Tomasz, now minus the "beatnik" look, and hair as short as it has been for some time, has just staked a claim for another stab at a Knighthood, with this Evening's MeteoGroup Forecast, for the Weather for the Week Ahead:

Weather for the Week Ahead - BBC Weather

As we are aware, not good news at first but Tomasz does seem confident about dispersing this horrendous heat, next Week with some "lighter" colours, replacing those nasty reds.

No, we certainly are not "jumping for joy" with your initial thoughts Tomasz but if you are correct with what seems to be some confidence about a "stream of air" coming off the Atlantic to freshen things up, although there does seem to be some doubt about any possible rainfall.

From an IMBY point of view, even though it looks like being hot in my neck of the woods, the heat could well be tempered by a strong breeze, blowing in from the Thames Estuary, and forcing the highest of the temps further West across S.England, towards S.Wales.

But we in the Heat Haters Party, will certainly be "jumping for joy", if you are correct with your longer term Forecast, and we will be very grateful and in future you will be known as,  Sir Tomasz of Gdansk.

Have already suggested to my Wife, that I think we should terminate Tomorrow Morning's walk before Noon, before the temperature climbs towards the late 20's C. It could well be our last bit of exercise walking until the temps, drop to more "sensible" numbers!! 

Regards,

Tom. 👍 😓

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
2 hours ago, Dami said:

Prosecco? 😉😂😂

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Team Squirrel said:

My partner just booked Friday off even though we have a house move  next month and not much annual leave left. Why? His boss refusing to install any kind of air conditioning into the boiling, airless  attic room office my partner works in, meaning it will be unbearable in there by the end of the week. He felt so ill during the July heatwave despite being allowed to start and leave earlier. I can't believe we are in a situation whereby we have used up 3 days of annual leave this year because of red weather warnings and heatwaves and a boss who is completely unsympathetic to the working conditions of his staff. 

Work places are going to have to take heatwaves much more seriously in the future, especially in smaller offices in converted buildings where there is no air con or circulation.

I'm very lucky that I work in an environment where there are lovely staff and lovely aircon.  I will admit I am terrible in this heat and really think that your partner's boss should be doing his level best to make the working conditions in heatwaves more bearable.  Heat can make people feel extremely unwell.  You have my full sympathies.

• Like 5