Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Autumn arrives

Message added by Paul,

Please double-check the contents of your post before hitting submit to make sure it is model related. For general discussion about the weather this autumn, the Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps and Chat is already very active, so please head over there.

Posted

Very dry weather continues for my area on all 3 major models!!10mm of rain in 10 days on the ecm is nothing to write home about lol!!!at least the leaves shall have a good colour to them in the coming weeks!must say charts are looking kinda blocky as well!!

• Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Well a classic heat pump situation from the 12z gfs..day 6..

Is that a 24  I see there 🤔🥵....

Yes, summer's last hurrah!

24C more than plausible in London and the south east too.

• Like 6

Posted

Yesterday models showed a spring switcharound later next week with a southerly then northerly, I say reliable timeframe quite short at present. Expect more swings.

1 hour ago, Don said:

I quite like October warmth as unlike sometimes during summer, it feels very pleasant in the weakening sun!

By mid October the sun has same strength as late Feb and any warmth even low 20s can never feel especially warm for this reason. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
2 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Not interested in any more warmth. 

It was nice during spring and summer, but that was then and everything has a time and a place. We are in the middle of autumn now, so I want some autumnal storms mixed with some chilly sunny days.

Warmth in mid October just feels very much out of place, much like with cold wintry spells in mid April.

I don't mind more heat pumps at this time of the year with the Autumn colors because it is great for photography,it has been a lovely day here although i have been at work until now

sooner have all this warmth now than in the winter months

anyway,as @carinthian says,...the phantom northerly has been dropped by both the gfs op/control 12z but that mean is tanking southwards as we go into months end...

ens_image.thumb.png.a3ec8c6f77e78898b223bacfcaf8af38.png

a quick look at the day ten EPS 500's and MSLP and you can see a trough over Scandi with mid Atlantic ridge so probably on the cool side with upper winds north of west,the CPC/NOAA shows similar too

eps_z500a_nhem_41.thumb.png.3cafbd2f13a8038e73327e0198ed262a.pngeps_mslpa_nhem_41.thumb.png.15c448b7bce558af072c8cf6a4544245.png814day_03.thumb.gif.1b7cf81fecace5d0b14432bd3181a0ce.gif

so a cooling trend if these anomalies are correct after a warmish next week with winds south of east

lets see what the 18z gfs throws out soon.

Edited by Allseasons-si
typo
  • Like 9

Posted
12 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

the phantom northerly has been dropped by both the gfs op/control 12z but that mean is tanking southwards as we go into months end...

I don't mind 'phantom' northerlies being dropped in October, but hope we don't have them and phantom easterlies during winter which have become a common occurrence in many recent winters!

• Like 1

Posted

12z eventually shifts things along, the cut off low to the SW becomes absorbed by the main atlantic trough that pushes heights aside next weekend turning things colder and unsettled, it then moves east replaced by colder drier conditions with heights settling to our west. Let's see if ECM goes same way. we've seen quite marked changes just outside reliable in recent days, 6 day mark, so charts beyond come with large margin for error. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!

Could be a rogue op, but the latest ecm op has a stronger ridge early next week which keeps the troughs from phasing and has a completely different outcome for next weekend.

12z 192

image.thumb.png.3ac4904dcc4701942826f4edb0cd9d64.png

0z 192

image.thumb.png.16a136c6eaa15be37144db91217629b7.png

I often find the models struggle with these cut off lows and sometimes they fling them over / through the U.K. too easily.

Let’s see how big a cluster goes with this outcome. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
10 minutes ago, Uncertainy said:

Could be a rogue op, but the latest ecm op has a stronger ridge early next week which keeps the troughs from phasing and has a completely different outcome for next weekend.

12z 192

image.thumb.png.3ac4904dcc4701942826f4edb0cd9d64.png

0z 192

image.thumb.png.16a136c6eaa15be37144db91217629b7.png

I often find the models struggle with these cut off lows and sometimes they fling them over / through the U.K. too easily.

Let’s see how big a cluster goes with this outcome. 

It is interesting, the recent output has started going for a low probably Eastern side of Greenland which could join with the trough / lower pressure across Scandi (that might also be a lobe of the Tropospheric Vortex) the Icon particularly caught my eye animalp7.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
On 13/10/2022 at 17:56, minus10 said:

Well a classic heat pump situation from the 12z gfs..day 6..

563688384_h850t850eu-2022-10-13T174801_488.thumb.png.32716f1d43033c88ccacaa34d9cced1c.png

505038229_ukmaxtemp(14).thumb.png.94b078cf826af3481fd4cf0a1106b3fe.png

Is that a 24  I see there 🤔🥵....

Yes right over my place as usual 😆 🤣.  No its a 21c I'm sure because of the colour contours look at the 24c in France several shades more red though id love a 24c in the 2nd half of October!!

• Like 5

Posted

So. Gfs painting an unsettled picture with wind and rain and a particularly 'mobile' low from around the 22nd showing clearly. Milder temps swapping with colder ones at times. After that a northerly showing at the end of the run so trending colder.... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Morning all. Still no agreement this morning at 168t. UK model below . The UKMO still anchors the East Atlantic trough well west of the British Isles, whereas GFS and ECM  shows this on the move eastwards at an increasing pace. In the meanwhile, time to turn the thermostats down a notch or two across much of Euroland this coming week. Hopefully save a £ or old Austrian schilling or two. ! Currently, think so much uncertainly in the models , even at 168t.

Have a nice weekend in Blighty.

C

Could contain:

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 9

Posted

As mentioned GFS and ECM push the low pressure to our SW through by this time next week and we then see colder conditions with the UK residing on the cold side of the polar front jet. GFS interesting output, northerly flow eventually after cold cyclonic and showery conditions.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Looks like we will be picking up a rather blustery southeast wind by Wednesday, feeling rather chilly in that wind I suspect😂

Could contain:

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like any warmth will be pegged further south over France. Perhaps the mildest by the end of the week...☺

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Looks like we will be picking up a rather blustery southeast wind by Wednesday, feeling rather chilly in that wind I suspect😂

Could contain:

18C, in October, 'chilly'? Yeah, right!😁

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Medium term looks dire on latest ECM output if you're after chilly conditions or at least the continent cooling down...conditions up from the south or south east and then somewhat of a pattern change to the south west and more Atlantic originated but height still over Europe and low pressure still out over the sea...nothing changes!

2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I think there was a hint of sarcasm in that post 🙂 ...still looks dreadful in the medium term (at least).

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

The chart I showed there was the wrong day. It should of showed Wednesday rather than Friday. Indeed Friday looks at this stage the mildest for the south rather than Wednesday being rather chilly in that wind. I'm having trouble at the moment uploading graphs / maps etc . So please excuse my mistake☺

• Like 6