Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Autumn arrives

Message added by Paul,

Please double-check the contents of your post before hitting submit to make sure it is model related. For general discussion about the weather this autumn, the Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps and Chat is already very active, so please head over there.

Posted
9 hours ago, MattStoke said:

Turns out yesterday’s top temperature was actually 31.9°C.

GFS, Arpege and UKV have 34°, 33°C and 33°C for today.

GFS looks about right, again.

2022 becomes the 4th U.K. summer to see 32°C recorded in each month, after 1995, 2019 and 2020.

04E3D668-0450-4C74-A4BD-889EDD73A198.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
22 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Just reflecting on some of the commentary in here at present when assessing the models. There appears to be a degree of preference creeping into some posts, not all I may add. One represented by those who want desperately to see a return to unsettled wet conditions and one that seems to want the dry hot theme to continue.

With these two perspectives, we are seeing posters dismissing any model showing a notable wet output and conversely any model showing a prolongation of heat and dry..

Alas, taking a more objective view.. all models continue to show a lowering of pressure early next week. That's about as far as we can call things. Where any precipitation falls, how much and how heavy and for how long who knows. Also how long and where heat lingers we don't know as yet. What we can say is we have at least 3 more days of near nationwide heat sun and dry to experience. For heat and sun worshippers this is as good as it gets.. and occurring slap bang end of a week in depths of school holidays, what timing!

Yes, I agree, all we know for certain now is that pressure will drop into next week.  Quite a difference between the GFS 6z and the ECM 0z but it isn’t the initial drop in pressure that is the issue, it is the next low arriving from the Atlantic, here’s GFS 6z at T186 and T234:

F9DD33D0-EA5E-4656-AE1C-BB281C11C7B2.thumb.jpeg.8508be0cf061087e29208aa587763244.jpeg5071F7A6-8904-425C-9650-58891505C69F.thumb.png.da5dbbd7972915301e05ef1e70960cc5.png

GFS runs this into the UK.  Compare ECM 0z at same times:

6DE2D456-D292-4AFC-8217-37B1E056268E.thumb.gif.94ebb8749988205aa8ea7d56bb88c304.gif715450E3-4907-4855-AFAF-774540700E1B.thumb.gif.08f0b7c7fde8cd7fbf221956dbc63a65.gif

High pressure puts up much more of a fight.  I think ECM is more likely, and that the GFS is reverting to type in FI, we will see in future runs.  

So I would see next week as a low pressure transient between generally settled high pressure.  And would like to see the evolution firm up and into the range of the high res models before guessing how much rain will fall, what type and where…

Been a fascinating summer, and for the most part, with the spectre of La Niña hanging over it - I think that the equation La Niña = low AAM = Atlantic ridge UK trough in summer - needs a lot of provisos, and they were present in spades this year.   

But with the Australian BOM saying we are now ENSO neutral, have been for a while, with maybe La Niña retaking hold into winter, I wonder what the floor for AAM is going into September, should it fall from current values?  

Given September is often anticyclonic anyway, I think the chances of a 1976 style rain fest breakdown this year is now unlikely, and an extension to summer would be more likely.  

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Muy Caliente, Muy Soleado

ICON still not keen on a breakdown on the 12z.  Pity its the ICON and it does tend to lag behind a bit with trends. Always nice to get a 4th or 5th opinion tho...

EDIT: sorry to rehash the above post

beat me to it by mere seconds feel free to delete.

ICOOPEU12_180_1 (1).png

Edited by JayAlmeida
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
12 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Yes, I agree, all we know for certain now is that pressure will drop into next week.  Quite a difference between the GFS 6z and the ECM 0z but it isn’t the initial drop in pressure that is the issue, it is the next low arriving from the Atlantic, here’s GFS 6z at T186 and T234:

F9DD33D0-EA5E-4656-AE1C-BB281C11C7B2.thumb.jpeg.8508be0cf061087e29208aa587763244.jpeg5071F7A6-8904-425C-9650-58891505C69F.thumb.png.da5dbbd7972915301e05ef1e70960cc5.png

GFS runs this into the UK.  Compare ECM 0z at same times:

6DE2D456-D292-4AFC-8217-37B1E056268E.thumb.gif.94ebb8749988205aa8ea7d56bb88c304.gif715450E3-4907-4855-AFAF-774540700E1B.thumb.gif.08f0b7c7fde8cd7fbf221956dbc63a65.gif

High pressure puts up much more of a fight.  I think ECM is more likely, and that the GFS is reverting to type in FI, we will see in future runs.  

So I would see next week as a low pressure transient between generally settled high pressure.  And would like to see the evolution firm up and into the range of the high res models before guessing how much rain will fall, what type and where…

Been a fascinating summer, and for the most part, with the spectre of La Niña hanging over it - I think that the equation La Niña = low AAM = Atlantic ridge UK trough in summer - needs a lot of provisos, and they were present in spades this year.   

But with the Australian BOM saying we are now ENSO neutral, have been for a while, with maybe La Niña retaking hold into winter, I wonder what the floor for AAM is going into September, should it fall from current values?  

Given September is often anticyclonic anyway, I think the chances of a 1976 style rain fest breakdown this year is now unlikely, and an extension to summer would be more likely.  

I agree with you there Mike...just can't see a 76 washout period emerging! September like you say can very often deliver proper Summer conditions,and for me being old school it's the final 3rd of next month when Summer ends proper! 

Indian Summer a possibility? Who knows but bare in mind a true reflection of that would mean Summer like conditions from October!

Why are Septembers very often settled? The Azores High tends to weaken and split this throwing ridges of High pressure across our shores! So summary  conditions can't be ruled out for several weeks just yet.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

In assessing the performance of the GFS over the next few days it should be noted that yesterday it over-baked temperatures for many areas by 2C and it has done so again today.

102361794_Screenshot2022-08-11at16_44_04.thumb.png.f024cd1675acce36ec25090d60479054.png1637977282_Screenshot2022-08-10at12_05.44copy.thumb.jpg.373452938bfc6ff15651817a8bf0184f.jpg

It should be noted that this is true of the GFS operational runs. As I have repeatedly demonstrated, for some reason the GFS operationals have been running about 2C higher than the vast majority of its own members, even at only 6 hrs range.

I don't know what's wrong with the GFS but it has a problem.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

As probably expected GFS 12Z extends heat to Tues with a filthy 30 degrees here, expect the heat warning to be extended to 23:59 on Tues

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The GFS manages to grind out another two hot days after Sunday.

image.thumb.gif.0ebfc6532ebf9e5825c7107347158ed8.gif   image.thumb.gif.c6f4838d5b9891aea5d24ee67b5488cb.gif

You can see the cooler air heading south day by day and by Wednesday it is cooler for all. 
The GEM is quicker with veering the winds to the north/north east as the trough moves east.

image.thumb.png.3a3c31b5dda8b0015fd3c1e54a7d10fa.png

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
42 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

I agree with you there Mike...just can't see a 76 washout period emerging! September like you say can very often deliver proper Summer conditions,and for me being old school it's the final 3rd of next month when Summer ends proper! 

Indian Summer a possibility? Who knows but bare in mind a true reflection of that would mean Summer like conditions from October!

Why are Septembers very often settled? The Azores High tends to weaken and split this throwing ridges of High pressure across our shores! So summary  conditions can't be ruled out for several weeks just yet.

Would be nice to get a third good September in a row, but with some rain thrown in too. Any extension of warm/pleasant conditions into October is also very welcome.

The Atlantic can often stir later into August which always puts September extensions of summer at risk. When I was at school, it was often a safe bet that summer was signed off by the 10th, but I'd personally love to see it go at least out to the equinox.

Back to the here and now, I've noticed the N-W 10-dayer has been quite keen to show respectable rainfall amounts for many locations next week, but I'm guessing that is all dependent on placement of downpours. There doesn't appear to be any frontal rainfall until safely within FI, and for the south, that is assuming the southerly tracking low solution transpires (which I think won't).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mark Smithy said:

In assessing the performance of the GFS over the next few days it should be noted that yesterday it over-baked temperatures for many areas by 2C and it has done so again today.

102361794_Screenshot2022-08-11at16_44_04.thumb.png.f024cd1675acce36ec25090d60479054.png1637977282_Screenshot2022-08-10at12_05.44copy.thumb.jpg.373452938bfc6ff15651817a8bf0184f.jpg

It should be noted that this is true of the GFS operational runs. As I have repeatedly demonstrated, for some reason the GFS operationals have been running about 2C higher than the vast majority of its own members, even at only 6 hrs range.

The GFS did not overestimate temperatures yesterday. The odd spot that fell slightly under its predictions does not indicate a national bias. You are being deliberately selective and were proven incorrect yesterday, yet failed to reply to those who commented.

The same goes for today... taking the latest run (12z) and not a selected one from yesterday's 06z (???), and the picture is broadly accurate with the odd spot further south 1C too high, and other places 1C too low (including up here in Sheffield). The rest are bang on.

I'm not sure what your end game is here, Mark?

image.thumb.png.f02d87451ae3dd057a74c96714f4d0c5.png

Edited by Steel City Skies

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
4 minutes ago, Mark Smithy said:

Not this post again 🥱

The highest max reported today so far is 33.8c. Yesterday a late reporting station pushed the max to 31.9c. The max today could easily be above 34c when all data is collected later. 

• Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

The GFS did not overestimate temperatures yesterday. The odd spot that fell slightly under its predictions does not indicate a national bias. You are being deliberately selective and were proven incorrect yesterday, yet failed to reply to those who commented.

The same goes for today... taking the latest run (12z) and not a selected one from yesterday's 06z (???), and the picture is broadly accurate with the odd spot further south 1C too high, and other places 1C too low (including up here in Sheffield). The rest are bang on.

Hope casting nonsense as usual from him.

GFS predictions the past couple of days: 32°C and 34°C.

Reality: 31.9°C and 33.8°C (so far),

Conclusion: The GFS overestimated things and it’s actually cooler because that’s what Mark wants.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
5 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

That's spot on for my area. I'm between the 32 and 34 to the right of the Severn Estuary and maxed out at 33.2 today.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
17 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Not this post again 🥱

The highest max reported today so far is 33.8c. Yesterday a late reporting station pushed the max to 31.9c. The max today could easily be above 34c when all data is collected later. 

Which would, back in those far-off days of Her Majesty's Fahrenheit, quite likely have gone down as good ol' 93!😊

• Like 2

Posted

Never posted here before but always follow with interest, been a fantastic summer here in Essex if you like heat and sun that is ! would be good to get some rain in now but looking at models my gut feeling is we will get the showers / possible storms early next week before high pressure once again builds back in, can just see that low pressure near Iceland later next week  trending north with time ! Azores high seems tough to beat this year 💪, but be interesting to see how the last weeks of this summer play out either way 

Edited by Ben27
  • Like 3

Posted
23 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Hope casting nonsense as usual from him.

GFS predictions the past couple of days: 32°C and 34°C.

Reality: 31.9°C and 33.8°C (so far),

Conclusion: The GFS overestimated things and it’s actually cooler because that’s what Mark wants.

But why…? 

I think most of us have a good handle on model flaws but this isn’t one. In fact the GFS appears to have solved the issue of underestimating temps at long last. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Contemplating analogous years for possible weak MJO activity in the western Indian Ocean with AAM falling but probably not very far, I’m of the broad impression that the ECM 00z was a decent effort for later next week while the GFS 00z & 06z runs positioned the big low some 1,000 miles too far south. The 12z GFS was nearer the mark but still went awry soon afterward… classic GFS perhaps?

I’d not rule out feedbacks & climate trend placing the low a little further north than even ECM has it, mind.

p.s. GFS has lately been exhibiting a positive max temp bias of 1-2*C for most areas that have a long overland fetch of wind - currently much of the West Country & CS England, for example. It’s also tended to reduce that bias to within 1*C at the last minute (12z of the day in question).

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, seb said:

But why…? 

I think most of us have a good handle on model flaws but this isn’t one. In fact the GFS appears to have solved the issue of underestimating temps at long last. 

Guessing bbc/meto massively underestimating temps for Mon/Tues, only 25 and 21, GFS going for 31 and 30, bbc website though tends to correct day before

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
34 minutes ago, Mark Smithy said:

You're only comparing the GFS temps against a small amount of official weather stations? Have a look at the hundreds of unofficial stations, plenty have made 34 - 35°C.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and quiet; snow can be nice too

...and, of course, "GFS goes too high" was the prevailing assumption for their long-range forecasts last month right up until they actually happened...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

RE GFS temps, the 'UK Max Temperature' on this site isn't the maximum temperature of that day but rather of that frame. It's good to look at the 'UK Min Temperature' of the same frame (normally 2c or 3c lower) and take the average from the two.