Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Autumn arrives

Message added by Paul,

Please double-check the contents of your post before hitting submit to make sure it is model related. For general discussion about the weather this autumn, the Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps and Chat is already very active, so please head over there.

Posted
1 minute ago, Battleground Snow said:

Don't usually post in the summer, but been keeping a watching brief over the low modelled just  off Iberian peninsula.

Incredible potential to make a run at the national record late next week.

Dry and warm western Europe with a stalled low firing heat up from Africa, at the perfect time of year for the highest potential temperatures.

I see the same people who pop in winter to shout downgrade in winter also like to do the same thing in summer.

Good to hear from u buddy!!your normally my winter update man on this forum ✌!!!

• Like 3

Posted

Potential temperature record challenges again on the GFS 18z for next weekend, but still a way off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Muy Caliente, Muy Soleado

Two consecutive days in the high 30s not something you see every day at this range.  

GFSOPUK18_216_48.png

GFSOPUK18_192_48.png

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Not quite as extreme as some of the GFS op and ensembles of a few days ago but still pretty damn hot  

192_582UKbgy7.GIF

And if the Saturday doesn’t challenge records, the Sunday might.

216_582UKlbx1.GIF

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, kold weather said:

GFS for London over the next 9 days:

26c, 28c, 32c, 32, 33, 35, 29, 25, 37, 37.

No way anyone can deny that would be a very memorable hot spell. It kinda reminds me of late July/Aug 2020 which had several fairly extreme heat blasts. 

Would almost certainly see a 38-39c over the weekend should that come off.

And then 35’C (on the Monday).

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

While the GFS12z held with the split in recent days (outside the far south, the job was done by midweek, the GFS18z joins the Euro 12z in rebuilding a plume next weekend.

image.thumb.png.226516cae2976cb43b330db9e26320bb.png

image.thumb.png.133ac91e13f4f79d34251217b83b925c.png

As horrific as the plume may be though it thankfully looks a Sat-Mon affair for most. Only the far south really keeps the heat.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms☃⛈
27 minutes ago, JayAlmeida said:

Two consecutive days in the high 30s not something you see every day at this range.  

GFSOPUK18_216_48.png

GFSOPUK18_192_48.png

Then goes to this a few days later Classic GFS!

image.thumb.png.915d1370f43c0bcb6935e860d67a5dd8.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
10 minutes ago, Iceman2606 said:

Then goes to this a few days later Classic GFS!

image.thumb.png.915d1370f43c0bcb6935e860d67a5dd8.png

Sweet relief 

• Like 5

Posted

Very good agreement on the mechanisms of a plume on the 18z GFS ensembles, a majority now have a plume of some description at least for the Se/S of England, though some are glancing affairs still.

Also large disagreements with regards to timings, some go as early as 144hrs, whilst others take to nearly 240hrs, as it takes a 2nd upper trough in the Atlantic to lift the upper low feature NE along with the heat dome.

Until that is better resolved I'm very wary of having high confidence in this set-up, but another step towards a hot weekend next weekend.

PS - probably the warmest ensembles I've ever seen...record 850hpa temps are about 25c from June 2019....multiple runs exceed that!

Edited by kold weather

Posted

Just looking through the individual GFS 18z ensembles and they are really quite amazing to look at. A large majority are peaking above 35c now at some point between Weds and the the following Mon, with an increasing number going north of 37c now as well.

I think thats probably the hottest set of GFS ensembles I've seen overall.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
42 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Just looking through the individual GFS 18z ensembles and they are really quite amazing to look at. A large majority are peaking above 35c now at some point between Weds and the the following Mon, with an increasing number going north of 37c now as well.

I think thats probably the hottest set of GFS ensembles I've seen overall.

The 18z spreads speak volumes.. and have between warm hot/ some record breaking- taking snaps!!! I’ve stuck 1 2m shade drops in.. to which is where temperature probability are in mid/ upper supposed! So to highlight the 5/8 c you can assume in sunlight/ exposure.. again.. the heat possibilities/ probability for -at least mid/southern England.. is looking v- noteworthy!!!!@ roll on winter

F8940855-9125-4467-BA41-03E65FB648F9.png

026A476A-93CE-4D54-AFB0-23E2204642FB.png

E709E85C-ACFE-4F85-9CAB-C1AEEF83A5AA.png

6A23E7E5-2AEC-4B7F-805E-08DBFA5A2727.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 3

Posted

Wow what a hot run from the gfs this morning, 38 shown again next Sunday, every chance 40 will be reached. The following week stays hot and record breaking heat builds again.

Edited by clark3r
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The model output this morning moderates the temperatures for Wednesday (Still 32C towards the south east and even areas under the cold front should remain warm with broken cloud).

image.thumb.png.addd60b4de3a09238f4a062396bc3eb1.png

Given the UKMO and GEM have similar profiles, I think this is a reasonable temperature distribution at this time.

Thursday and Friday look a little cooler, though again temperatures will hold up well (Mid twenties on Thursday and possibly high twenties again on Friday).

The weekend is starting to look like one to watch, the GFS again goes for the mid to high thirties on both days across central/southern England.

image.thumb.png.44abf075e2acf0ccf021c1a0181e7591.png   image.thumb.png.8243af868d62ef4a94470ec6de6b5f89.png

The UKMO at day 7 has the 16C isotherm pushing into southern areas with the Azores low drifting northwards.

image.thumb.png.afa4e126882595fbbf003472706f6481.png   image.thumb.png.79b9efd628ece792e6fd11a3ecdd4a49.png

I have to say that the UKMO looks more ominous than the GFS because you can see how the high could set up favourably for a southerly flow thanks to the low south of Greenland and the chance of that trough interacting with the low west of Portugal.

One to watch for the moment.

• Like 7

Posted

GEM also no where near as good this morning, and after a blistering 18z GFS, the 00z ensembles are a little more shaky in terms of the evolution, though moist do still just about make it, so despite an amazing GFS op I'd say things have taken a step back again this morning.

At least the 00z GEM op was one of the most progressive and coolest from its ensembles.

GFS is outstanding after a little cool off midweek (and 30C could be reached on the south coast both thurs and Fri imo) 38/39C next weekend it then drops things back to the low 30s for 3 or 4days before the 37-39s come back later that week. Anything like that happened no one would ever mentioned 1976 again…..

Posted

Just looking through the individual GFS ensembles and again some very hot runs, though I'd argue they aren't as impressive overall as the 18z were last night, lots more glancing blows where the surface temps only respond to a smaller degree. 

Some runs of course still go mega hot like the GFS op and the mean for next Sunday is still 30c which suggests there are some very hot runs in there for a mean that high this far out.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

03005531-E732-4BD5-BB74-7BD53507B681.thumb.jpeg.328db60c7a2611bfe0b967cc12311786.jpeg

I spy a 40c on the gfs next Sunday….after a 38c on Saturday. Crazy hot run.

• Like 2

Posted

ECM looking more progressive with the Iberian low further east. Might mean a stronger but more brief plume.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

A little bit more of an agreement (or a compromise) from the GFS/ECM this morning. Saturday now looking hot or very hot on the ECM.

image.thumb.gif.1eb9fde75050e93edc0857e076b97e30.gif   image.thumb.gif.04dae9d2fe66b5b50458ee4eacdb02e1.gif

• Like 2

Posted
25 minutes ago, Alderc said:

. Anything like that happened no one would ever mentioned 1976 again…..

Of course, they will. Summer 1976 wasn't just a heatwave. It was drought, standpipes, hour after hour of sunshine...etc.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

A little bit more of an agreement (or a compromise) from the GFS/ECM this morning. Saturday now looking hot or very hot on the ECM.

image.thumb.gif.1eb9fde75050e93edc0857e076b97e30.gif   image.thumb.gif.04dae9d2fe66b5b50458ee4eacdb02e1.gif

Yes it has the low further NE compared to the 12z yesterday. Saturday as you say looks considerably hotter as a result. A long way to go of course but it is starting to look like we're approaching some sort of favoured pattern for next weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

image.thumb.png.b7d180f61af7993b5ff5913d7b829b19.png

20c line well through the southern half of the UK by Sunday on the ECM

• Like 2