Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
10 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Not sure what it is. My lack of energy now, is like a boost for you.

I felt ok until about a week ago, but waking up at 5am and leaving the flat while still dark around 6am was difficult. 

The change really does set in from mid September onwards. 

Just different mate, we both suffer just at different times of year!

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, markyo said:

Just different mate, we both suffer just at different times of year!

I’ll try and embrace it as best I can this time, seeing as we had more sunshine and a decent summer(from a warm weather lovers perspective).

I’m hoping for a bit of snow this coming winter, but most of all, I’ll be happy if we get a number of cold sunny crisp days.

The damp winter days are the ones I feel a bit fed up with, but I acknowledge the fact it’s just part and parcel of the British climate. 

A chilly sunny October and November would be good.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Autumn 🍂 is here in the Czech Republic, been feeling the chill lately and had loads of rain. Forecast for Saturday is just 10°C with showers, it’s all happening too fast 😂 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 14/09/2022 at 11:19, mushymanrob said:

I dislike Autumn... everythings dying down, vegetation is fading and despite the pretty colours its all about death. The damp misty morning air if tainted by damp decay. Theres nothing pleasant (for me) about darker evening/mornings, lowering sun, cooling off, dew, dew and more bloody dew... (i cut grass for a living). Theres little birdsong, butterflies are dying, flowers have finished, its nowt but a dreary dead time before winter kicks in.. i dont like the cold, but i prefer honest winter to messy smelly autumn.

I don’t mind early autumn tbh. In fact I quite like it. It is still reasonably warm during the day, the sun still has a decent warmth to it and its still light until early evening. For me I find it’s from around mid October onwards that things start to get depressing, especially when the clocks go back and we’re plunged into darkness at 4 pm. By then the sun has no strength, and it’s cold and wet.

3 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

I'd certainly leave the UK for three months (starting on the Sunday the clocks go back) if I could!

I like the snow, but other countries get that better - it's the horrendously short days, the damp and the drizzle that's the problem.

Yes, our winters aren’t ideal. Too much damp, cold and gloom yet barely any snow. A lot of other countries have colder, snowier winters but they are a lot sunnier. So it’s colder but you are rewarded by beautiful crisp sunny days with deep snow. Or if we kept the same temps (or even had it milder) but had more sunshine and less wind and dampness it wouldn’t be so bad either.

U.K. winter is the worst of both worlds - very little snow but it’s still cold and miserable. You still need a coat and the heating on.

3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah I think if you leave around late October and return on the 1st of March.

Spend the late autumn and winter in Latvia, or somewhere else in Scandinavia, Austria or even Germany. Even a mild winter in those areas will guarantee a few days or even a week of snowfall.

Or how about a winter in Spain or Portugal? Not much snow but a lot sunnier and also a lot warmer. Tbh I’d be quite happy if the U.K. had Spanish winters, because although there would be even less snow, we would skip the all of the depressing cold, damp, gloominess that drags on for months.

It definitely does feel more like autumn this week. The nights have been in single digits and the days have only been in the mid teens, apart from Tuesday which reached 18°C here.

The indoor temp has struggled too only 17-18°C. If it gets much lower the heating will have to go on!

It was 14°C on my evening walk and I was comfortable in shorts, but needed a hoodie, but it will soon be too cold for shorts, and in a few weeks it will probably be too cold even for a hoodie, will probably have to start wearing thick coats as well. 

I’d like late autumn/winter a lot more if if the days were longer and there was more sunshine and more snow, and less rain.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

Autumn 🍂 is here in the Czech Republic, been feeling the chill lately and had loads of rain. Forecast for Saturday is just 10°C with showers, it’s all happening too fast 😂 

14°C forecast for Saturday here. Funny how you had much hotter summer temperatures than me, guess the climate is a lot more continental when you are.

• Like 1

Posted

Wore a light jacket for the first time tonight since who knows when and the air had a distinct autumnal smell to it, love it!

Edited by Don
  • Like 2

Posted

I have a gut feeling we might get a 1984/85 type winter, with the rapid cool-down during second half of September, Indian summer in October, followed by a mild early November. 

Cold and dry in December and January. 

Posted

The psychological affect the weather and more especially the solar calandar has on each of us can be very different it seems. For me I find the periods around the equinox the most unsettling as they mark transition of greatest change.. I'm more comfortable and rooted in the depths of winter and summer it seems, sort of know where I am in Jan and July.

If it wasn't for christmas, November and more so December would be the time when my energy would be most drained.. alas it motivates me instead. I do feel we should hibernate in Jan and celebrate New Year 1 Feb, or better still 1 March.

Overall the most positive period of the year is May, peaking late June.

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

The psychological affect the weather and more especially the solar calandar has on each of us can be very different it seems. For me I find the periods around the equinox the most unsettling as they mark transition of greatest change.. I'm more comfortable and rooted in the depths of winter and summer it seems, sort of know where I am in Jan and July.

If it wasn't for christmas, November and more so December would be the time when my energy would be most drained.. alas it motivates me instead. I do feel we should hibernate in Jan and celebrate New Year 1 Feb, or better still 1 March.

Overall the most positive period of the year is May, peaking late June.

Yes, that positive vibe of May to early August is long gone and a distant memory now lol.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Springs/Summers, Chilly Autumns , Cold Winters
3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Tbh I’d be quite happy if the U.K. had Spanish winters, because although there would be even less snow, we would skip the all of the depressing cold, damp, gloominess that drags on for months.

But then UK weather will be mild all year round and that will be very boring.

Posted

It’s definitely feeling cooler in the daytime now. Daytime highs dropping below 20c since early June, and it’s noticeable just how much colder it feels.

Cant walk around in a t shirt anymore unless I’m doing some heavy lifting or exercise.

Walking in this and I’m glad of the light jacket.

The windchill is definitely make it feel colder and it’s only 13c in London right now.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
18 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah I think if you leave around late October and return on the 1st of March.

Spend the late autumn and winter in Latvia, or somewhere else in Scandinavia, Austria or even Germany. Even a mild winter in those areas will guarantee a few days or even a week of snowfall.

I did recently spend part of the winter in northern Greece.

Based on my experience, I'd definitely recommend it if you like winter sunshine, dry air, snow, and (perhaps strangely) thunderstorms. Typical weather is mild, sunny days with very dry air (maxima perhaps 10-12C) and cold nights, with winds commonly NE-ly. However, occasionally a westerly might get in for a couple of days, and when it does, following a brief spell of Tm air, damp and drizzle (which does happen, but much more rarely than NW Europe!) a brief but sharp thundery cold front tends to follow, with a rapid and dramatic clearance. Also, occasionally colder and more potent NE-lies get in, with temps dropping to near zero by day. When that happens, there's often also a southerly tracking low which bumps into the cold air and produces large quantities of snow. This is then followed by two or three sunny days with 0C (bright sun and good snow cover), and then, by a clean, rainless thaw and temps back up to 10C or so. The snowy spells brought back memories of mid-80s winters in Southern England for me, now sadly very rare.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

The combination of very dry air and almost wintry cold earlier this morning was noticeable.

Is this the earliest since 1986 we've had a cool (consistently below 20 max, minima well down into single figures) and sunny combination? Struggling to think of many others that have occurred before the equinox. Not complaining by the way, for the next few months I'm less interested in the temps, but want large quantities of sun more than anything else.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
12 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

The combination of very dry air and almost wintry cold earlier this morning was noticeable.

Is this the earliest since 1986 we've had a cool (consistently below 20 max, minima well down into single figures) and sunny combination? Struggling to think of many others that have occurred before the equinox. Not complaining by the way, for the next few months I'm less interested in the temps, but want large quantities of sun more than anything else.

Can't think of a 'lengthy' spell this early, but some shorter ones like 16th-18th September 2010 and 2005. Last lengthy spell with such temperatures was September 2017 but that was a cyclonic northwesterly/northerly setup so also wet.

• Like 2

Posted
30 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

I did recently spend part of the winter in northern Greece.

Based on my experience, I'd definitely recommend it if you like winter sunshine, dry air, snow, and (perhaps strangely) thunderstorms. Typical weather is mild, sunny days with very dry air (maxima perhaps 10-12C) and cold nights, with winds commonly NE-ly. However, occasionally a westerly might get in for a couple of days, and when it does, following a brief spell of Tm air, damp and drizzle (which does happen, but much more rarely than NW Europe!) a brief but sharp thundery cold front tends to follow, with a rapid and dramatic clearance. Also, occasionally colder and more potent NE-lies get in, with temps dropping to near zero by day. When that happens, there's often also a southerly tracking low which bumps into the cold air and produces large quantities of snow. This is then followed by two or three sunny days with 0C (bright sun and good snow cover), and then, by a clean, rainless thaw and temps back up to 10C or so. The snowy spells brought back memories of mid-80s winters in Southern England for me, now sadly very rare.

That sounds like the perfect winter for me. Plenty of pleasant mild sunny days but also the occasional flurry. Best of both worlds.

24 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

It’s definitely very unusual for this early in the autumn. Despite being mostly sunny with fairly light winds it’s just 12.5°C with 53% humidity at 1pm here. Dew point just 3.1°C! 😮 Last night was another cold and clear night with a low of 6°C. Won’t be long until the first ground frost. Can’t remember a spell like it in mid September before.

• Like 2

Posted
35 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Can't think of a 'lengthy' spell this early, but some shorter ones like 16th-18th September 2010 and 2005. Last lengthy spell with such temperatures was September 2017 but that was a cyclonic northwesterly/northerly setup so also wet.

Yes, I remember the occasional short northerly plunge in September. 2004 also had a couple, one around the 15th and another around the 24th. I remember the 2005 one, but missed the one you mention in 2010, being overseas (though recall another one on the weekend of the 25th/26th).

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
9 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Yes, I remember the occasional short northerly plunge in September. 2004 also had a couple, one around the 15th and another around the 24th. I remember the 2005 one, but missed the one you mention in 2010, being overseas (though recall another one on the weekend of the 25th/26th).

I remember 1992 and 93 being quite chilly during the first half, mixed with warmer 20-21c days.

September 1994 had some chilly periods, but we all know what happened the following winter. It was a mild fest.

94 had a cloudy damp September, but 92 and 93 I remember being fairly sunny and chilly. 

Posted

Winter is weird for me.

I feel happier in Summer and I yearn for it pretty much all year long, but once it arrives, all of my creativity dies. I stop writing/making music etc and just cannot find any motivation or inspiration whatsoever.

As soon as the clocks change and the dark half of the year sets in, I'm suddenly inspired to throw myself into all kinds of different projects.

I wonder if it's my brain's way of trying to keep me occupied through the dark months

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Winter is weird for me.

I feel happier in Summer and I yearn for it pretty much all year long, but once it arrives, all of my creativity dies. I stop writing/making music etc and just cannot find any motivation or inspiration whatsoever.

As soon as the clocks change and the dark half of the year sets in, I'm suddenly inspired to throw myself into all kinds of different projects.

I wonder if it's my brain's way of trying to keep me occupied through the dark months

This just sums me up.

I remember talking to you about changing careers and getting into working for myself. 

Spent most of July and August just lazing around and procrastinating. I just wanted to enjoy the warm sunny weather, which I know is a terrible excuse. 

The long sunny hot days can lead many to be distracted, and wanting to head outdoors to the beach or parks etc.

The darker months of the year enables us to focus more, when everything outside seems much quieter. 

36 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Winter is weird for me.

Have you made anything new recently?

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Nice to see the first dusting on the Cairngorm plateau today..😊

Screenshot_20220916_152839_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.de2bc80f41a8cf319f13d19d3bbea834.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, LRD said:

I can't remember the last September where we've had the type of weather you're hinting at

2019, and before that 2017. Plenty of other examples... check out the archives.

The current spell of cool, dry and sunny with chilly nights is more of a rarity.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
2 minutes ago, MP-R said:

2019, and before that 2017. Plenty of other examples... check out the archives.

The current spell of cool, dry and sunny with chilly nights is more of a rarity.

Don't remember them at all. Sept 2019 was wet and windy? Can't be bothered to check to be honest but I'll take your word for it. Just don't recall it

Still doesn't change the fact we need rain in my area. And there's no sign of any away from the NW

Posted
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

Winter is weird for me.

I do things differently depending on the time of year. Summer I spend a lot of time outside busy in the garden. Winter I tend to catch up on house stuff, decluttering, crafting, much more reading etc

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn & Mild

Felt the difference first thing this morning at 7am. Room temperatures have gone down some what. Pleasant with the sun out but a brisk wind today. Looks like the night time temps go back up during the week so short lived.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
8 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Indeed. I consider myself lucky to have had a decent dousing of rain last week, accompanied by thundery activity, as without any of the big lows that some previous runs showed, we could go the remainder of the month with hardly any rain at all! Latest GFS runs show rain avoiding the UK like the plague as snow does in the winter months. By all accounts... what an incredibly long dry spell.

Yep, we had some rain last week and a little bit on Tuesday but most of that rain was to our south. Just not enough to alleviate the problems here

Have to agree that I'm looking forward to some autumnal, cool mornings. Hopefully with some mist/fog. Before the high pressure moves in to position to warm things up... again! There was a day or so of promising model runs for a wetter end of Sept but I'm far from convinced

The dry spell has been remarkable - essentially going back to July 2021 with only the odd unsettled blip - IMBY anyway. Appreciate our northern members would see it differently

Edited by LRD
  • Like 1