Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022-23 early thoughts - general chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Scrooge.

I can imagine how tedious it must be once you’ve seen snow for a week or so and have months of it to go. 

Snow is lovely when it's fresh and pure white and I love watching it gracefully falling down, as well as the sound it makes when you are walking in it. But I do start to get a little fed up after around 5 days when the snow has become all dirty and slushy. On the other hand, I don't really complain about it that much as snow is something special in the UK, even when it has become dirty.

• Like 4

Posted

I too like the snow, but it's the months of windy, cold and wet darkness you have to put up with, just on the off chance you might get a few flakes if you're lucky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
5 minutes ago, RJBingham said:

I too like the snow, but it's the months of windy, cold and wet darkness you have to put up with, just on the off chance you might get a few flakes if you're lucky.

Sad to say you are right mate , it's getting a lot rarer now even up here 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
5 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Snow is lovely when it's fresh and pure white and I love watching it gracefully falling down, as well as the sound it makes when you are walking in it. But I do start to get a little fed up after around 5 days when the snow has become all dirty and slushy. On the other hand, I don't really complain about it that much as snow is something special in the UK, even when it has become dirty.

5 days? Here on the south coast 5 minutes counts as an “event” these days.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Snow cover makes a winter feel less gloomy, which makes sense really given its reflective qualities. 

A few years ago I was on a trip in Scandinavia and days were short. However the place looked lovely in the snow and the skies were colourful with dawn and dusk feeling drawn out. Even the nights you could still see landscape around.

Then I came back to the UK, and instead of a soft pinkish hue, you had grey skies and evenings which felt darker with a snowless wet ground. 

We I'm afraid (alongside other NW Europe locations) are probably the least desirable place in the world during winter in terms of overall geography. Go level or North you get snow or at least plentiful cold spells,  go South you tend to get brighter and/or frostier conditions

Oh well, thankfully life ain't all about weather and climate!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Met office still going for a seasinal start to winter, suggestion heights possibly to the north, coldest in north. However, keeps being pushed back..

Exactly and this is what happened during winter 2018/19.  I said some time back this is not what we want to see, but that's exactly what we are seeing!!

Edited by Don

Posted
52 minutes ago, Don said:

Exactly and this is what happened during winter 2018/19.  I said some time back this is not what we want to see, but that's exactly what we are seeing!!

Must be seeing something to suggest a settling down, its been in the wording for weeks. Ironic though ref a few weeks back to snow around now and instead seeing record warmth! 

Posted
50 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Must be seeing something to suggest a settling down, its been in the wording for weeks. Ironic though ref a few weeks back to snow around now and instead seeing record warmth! 

The same can be said in late 2018 when they must have been seeing something to suggest wintry weather on the way?  However, it didn't happen and your second sentence is perhaps a good example that something similar is happening now?!  Obviously the fact that colder and settled weather is being put back now does not mean it definitely won't happen, as every year is different, but I don't have much faith in that forecast currently.  

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, Don said:

The same can be said in late 2018 when they must have been seeing something to suggest wintry weather on the way?  However, it didn't happen and your second sentence is perhaps a good example that something similar is happening now?!  Obviously the fact that colder and settled weather is being put back now does not mean it definitely won't happen, as every year is different, but I don't have much faith in that forecast currently.  

Keep the faith!

Posted
10 minutes ago, Don said:

Today's updated probability temperature charts for the winter period from Met office.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

I've got to admit. That's as bad as it gets. Gutted!

Posted
1 minute ago, blizzard81 said:

I've got to admit. That's as bad as it gets. Gutted!

Not the best and the probabilities for a warmer season have increased over the October update!

Posted
3 minutes ago, Don said:

Not the best and the probabilities for a warmer season have increased over the October update!

Yep. Terrible update. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Yep. Terrible update. 

Seems to suggest that dreaded Euro slug that we have become accostomed to for the last 12 years. 

Posted
Just now, blizzard81 said:

Seems to suggest that dreaded Euro slug that we have become accostomed to for the last 12 years. 

Yep, but we will need to see the actual pressure charts.  Not sure if they have updated for November yet?

Posted
1 minute ago, Don said:

Yep, but we will need to see the actual pressure charts.  Not sure if they have updated for November yet?

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

Posted
32 minutes ago, CoxR said:

Could contain: Plot, Chart

Bugger!  After a rather promising October update that's very poor indeed!!

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
On 10/11/2022 at 15:14, Tony47 said:

I'm 75 and so I had and enjoyed many snowy winters including 62-63 (living in Birmingham then) when the ground was covered in snow from Boxing Day till March 1st. Believe me, I never tired of it and was still sad when the thaw came.

I am with you. Remember being sad when the snow finally went in 1979 and more recently looking out to see the front grass all green in mid January 2011 having been covered since the 26th November 2010. I was around in 1963 but a bit too young to remember anything but doing some sledging.

Did regret not still living where I was brought up in the Highlands in 2009/10 when at low levels inland there were over 90 days snow lying that winter and in the higher valleys like Speyside and Upper Deeside over 100.

Sad to say though that this year for the first time ever with energy costs etc I would be happier with a milder sunny winter albeit with just say a fortnight of cold convective Easterly weather.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, Don said:

Bugger!

I'm much more downbeat now than what I was earlier today. Solar max will be playing a big part here. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, blizzard81 said:

If that's anywhere near the mark, this winter will be a yawn fest. 

Looks like the warm pattern isn't going anywhere soon looking at that chart!!

• Like 2