Winter 2022-23 early thoughts - general chat

Posted

GFS Extended P14

I'd take P14 from the GFS Extended run today

Could contain: Blackboard, Chart

850hpa temps generally well below the long term mean for much of the run

If we can't have P14 then P20 isn't too bad either but not quite as good as P14

Cold Charts from P14

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, OutdoorsCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Plot, Chart, Outdoors

Initial "teaser" easterly in November

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, ArtCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Plot, Chart

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoorsimage.thumb.png.c2cfe64ec14d39e38b35e6164313aa8d.png

Cold easterlies end of November with snow potential

image.thumb.png.d30581a1464b0deafc719b54db872278.pngimage.thumb.png.76225d12e805a0dd5e56f7d49d35c42b.png

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, OutdoorsCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Plot, Chart, Outdoors

An attempt at a breakdown of the cold with a snow event very likely

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Nature

Cold air wins and pushes back south again

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, MapCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

A slider low bring potential for a rare "South of the M4 snow event"

Could contain: Plot, Chart, MapCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Art

Cold and dry after this brings risk of severe frosts

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Map, Art

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, OutdoorsCould contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Nature

Another attempt at pushing the cold air away fails and we get another snow making machine here, especially in central parts. West may see snow turn to rain or sleet, east probably avoiding the snow from this one.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, OutdoorsCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature, Modern Art, Art

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, OutdoorsCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Person, Nature

Could contain: Plot, ChartCould contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Nature

Cold flow continues although we generally lose the coldest of the uppers

Could contain: Plot, ChartCould contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Person, Nature

Atlantic starts to stir by the end of the run although with still having a southerly tracking jet stream combined with lingering cold this next low has potential to still bring snow as the uppers are still below 0C.

GFS Extended P20

Could contain: Blackboard, Chart, Plot

A below average period but more concentrated in December rather than spread out like in P14

Coldest chart from P20

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Modern Art, Art

P20 looks like a cold anticyclonic run so more frosty and dry rather than any snow here.

• Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, Premier Neige said:

2020/21 for me. Not bitterly cold but 4 or 5 snow events and lying snow for maybe 3 weeks (not 3 consecutive weeks though)...

Yeah that was cold enough at times for seasonal weather. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine

Just having a look at temperatures for eastern Europe on the BBC weather app while waiting for match of the day. Good to see daytime temperatures falling to -2°c in Moscow and 1°c in Warsaw next week. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
12 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person

Glosea Nov 2021

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Blackboard

Glosea Nov 2022

Similarities but I'd say this years is slightly better for those wanting colder weather..

Less of a +AO and more amplified than zonal however ridging is broadly in the wrong place. 

Scope for some inversions and chilly south easterlies perhaps, possible frontal attacks if it tries to undercut, potential northerly attacks before it sinks.

Not dire, not good.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Less of a +AO and more amplified than zonal however ridging is broadly in the wrong place. 

Scope for some inversions and chilly south easterlies perhaps, possible frontal attacks if it tries to undercut, potential northerly attacks before it sinks.

Not dire, not good.

As others have mentioned these are averaged out mean charts and really cant tell you much about the weekly variances that may take place. The low and high pressure anomalies are not that strong, suggesting could be very mixed outcomes. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
24 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

Shaping up to be a typical NH winter, repeated cold plunges in the US, blocking high over Eastern Europe, south westerlies or Bartlett’s in the UK and the occasional Athens snowfall special 😢 

That sums it up perfectly. To think it would be anything different than that is wishful thinking. 

• Like 2

Posted
30 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

Shaping up to be a typical NH winter, repeated cold plunges in the US, blocking high over Eastern Europe, south westerlies or Bartlett’s in the UK and the occasional Athens snowfall special 😢 

Basically our maritime climate.. which is the reason I and I suspect a few others engage in this winter hobby of searching for narina.

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

Wrong thread .

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
21 hours ago, Premier Neige said:

Just having a look at temperatures for eastern Europe on the BBC weather app while waiting for match of the day. Good to see daytime temperatures falling to -2°c in Moscow and 1°c in Warsaw next week. 

Keeping an eye on Riga temps, as we are flying over there on the 22nd December. Nights are dropping to below freezing in the next few days, so things seem on course to become much colder.

That being said, it has been known to turn milder again around Christmas, then turns bitterly cold by the start of the new year. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
11 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Keeping an eye on Riga temps, as we are flying over there on the 22nd December. Nights are dropping to below freezing in the next few days, so things seem on course to become much colder.

That being said, it has been known to turn milder again around Christmas, then turns bitterly cold by the start of the new year. 

Was in Riga exactly 15 years this Tuesday was cold and snowy on and off the 5 days we were there. The river was frozen solid,  think  they struggle now to maintain cold for long periods like they used to.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I can see December continuing with the warmer than average trend seen throughout every month this year, whilst being unsettled for much of the time and a particularly stormy period at some point during the month. This continues into the first half of January before a sudden change to much colder conditions takes place. Thereon, all areas see ground frosts and the chances of snow increases. This continues into early February before turning mild and unsettled again with a few springlike days around the end of the month.

Posted

A typical British Winter is on the cards.

Wet, coolish up til Xmas as the Russian/East Scandi High blocks the Atlantic going any further than Blighty. Result? Rain, cool right over 'us'.

The odd colder incursion into Scotland and The North.

Things quieten down into the New Year with temps average. Into early Feb and a colder period with threat of snow, albeit light and showery.

Mid-Feb and early 'Spring' warmth arrives.

You heard it here first😁👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

A Winter 2022-23 Forecasts and Discussions thread has just been started.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

Much of this goes over my head but I am sure the more knowledgeable on here will have a good understanding of what he is talking about 👍

https://youtu.be/KtjeNvTwYeU

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
On 13/11/2022 at 17:41, TSNWK said:

Basically our maritime climate.. which is the reason I and I suspect a few others engage in this winter hobby of searching for narina.

Though Athens is a pretty maritime location, more so than much of the inland UK and a lot further south of course. More due to certain pressure patterns occurring repeatedly these days, I'd say - the 80s showed us that you can in theory still get frequent snowy winters, even in a maritime climate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

So the indication seems to be (perhaps) more blocked early on, more zonal later.

Only problem is the blocking seems to be having the effect of sending lows south, right over the UK or immediately to the W/SW, according to the GFS06Z at least. Result if that came off would just be extreme rainfall.

Hoping the winter doesn't end up being a blocked (but in the wrong place) cyclonic December followed by screaming zonality through Jan and Feb! Wake me up in March, if that's the case. 😉

Posted
25 minutes ago, Joao 02 said:

If the blocking fails early on in the winter, there seems little chance of anything after that. 

Seems to be the case these days, certainly. In the 80s it wasn't necessarily the case: for example December 1984, 1985 and 1986 were all mild and zonal (though not silly wet) and look what happened after that.

February 1983, also, following a very zonal Dec/Jan.

Posted

On another topic is it correct that the current wet November was mostly unpredicted? I seem to remember a lot of people going for anticyclonic and frosty for Nov and also (early) Dec, due to La Nina effects - but turning milder later.

Will November turning out unexpectedly wet change people's thoughts about the winter?

Posted
44 minutes ago, Joao 02 said:

The opposite of what the Met said has happened, so the latest forecast for first half in December must be in question - my bet is that the wet/windy continues throughout. 

I do see strong similarities to 2000 in the outlook. Perhaps the second half of Dec will be much drier and colder in that case.

Biggest hope (if you want drier) at the moment is probably the jetstream dropping so far south that the low track goes over France. GFS 06Z had the low track across England for early Dec, so perhaps dropping further is not out of the question.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
3 hours ago, Joao 02 said:

The opposite of what the Met said has happened, so the latest forecast for first half in December must be in question - my bet is that the wet/windy continues throughout. 

I do not have much faith in the extended Met Office outlook and expect it to change during the next couple of days.

Posted
3 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

I do see strong similarities to 2000 in the outlook. Perhaps the second half of Dec will be much drier and colder in that case.

Biggest hope (if you want drier) at the moment is probably the jetstream dropping so far south that the low track goes over France. GFS 06Z had the low track across England for early Dec, so perhaps dropping further is not out of the question.

November 2000 was far less mild than this month though.  Maybe one small crumb of comfort is perhaps the atmosphere is not behaving in a typical La Nina way?

Just now, northwestsnow said:

EC46 looks decent week 3 and 4 

Always weeks 3 and 4 though.  However, I appreciate the update!