Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

ECM - synoptics great.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors

Uppers awful

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Art

Got a 2020-21 feel about this - terrific patterns but not enough cold air.

That wasn't helped by a Kazakhstan high that winter which often mixed in warm air from the SE med

Could contain: Finger, Hand, Thumbs Up, Man, Adult, Male, Photography, Portrait, Sunglasses, Formal Wear

Having said that if the pattern does persist, I'm sure those warmer uppers will be washed out and proper cold will come in. Looking good but not quite convinced so far

Edited by LRD
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Who'da thunk it... the GFS12Z operational run was a partial outlier!🤣

Could contain: Plot, Chart    Could contain: Plot, Chart

• Like 4

Posted
26 minutes ago, Beanz said:

It's been asked every year, but unfortunately it's not a popular choice (but I do agree with you).  I'm sitting here wondering why we're discussing the possibility of cold at 16 days out...I get the 'trends' argument, but every year it's the same formula. 

384hr "BFTE v.2" -> 264hr "MetO and ECM must come on side" -> 240hr "GFS is rubbish" -> 168hr "winter is over" 

And that precisely is all part of the sport and fun in this place. 🙂

• Like 2

Posted

Strong synergies between GFS 12z and Ecm crucially just within the reliable, which I usually class as 120 hrs. Both show the azores high ridging north into the atlantic early next week, allowing amplification of the atlantic trough ahead, and then squeezes the shallow feature away allowing the azores high to link in with the very strong heights out to our NE. End result is an easterly flow, at first perhaps not bringing much cold air, but in time things would become much colder, with the signal for heights to ridge west and north as highlighted by GFS 12z.  A 1055mb high to our east against a weak atlantic will take some beating to fend off..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Kasim Awan said:

I haven't seen such convincing charts at this stage in the season since 2012. As coldies we should be grateful at the output on offer, and relish in the potential that could result rather than focus on any perceived negatives regarding specific uppers etc.

True but that EXACT thing was said in 2020-21. Which was a great winter for Scotland and the hilly north of England. But thin gruel in most of lowland southern England for most of the time

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted
33 minutes ago, Beanz said:

It's been asked every year, but unfortunately it's not a popular choice (but I do agree with you).  I'm sitting here wondering why we're discussing the possibility of cold at 16 days out...I get the 'trends' argument, but every year it's the same formula. 

384hr "BFTE v.2" -> 264hr "MetO and ECM must come on side" -> 240hr "GFS is rubbish" -> 168hr "winter is over" 

Couldn't of agree more with this, yes there are promising trends for colder weather and perhaps snow.

However it's not even in the semi reliable time frame, if we truly want a chance of getting this cold weather it has to get into the reliable time frame.

We have seen time and time again what happens with these "trends" bit hopefully this year will be different.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, LRD said:

True but that EXACT thing was said in 2020-21. Which was a great winter for Scotland and the hilly north of England. But thin gruel in most of lowland southern England for most of the time

because the setup was more atlantic based, and when easterlies set up they lacked undercutting troughs

relax and enjoy the chase, because the synoptics might just work in your favour this time. no guarantee. also i havent seen a flake since April, and getting snow out of a weak easterly is like getting blood out of a stone, so in reality im in the same boat as you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

because the setup was more atlantic based, and when easterlies set up they lacked undercutting troughs

relax and enjoy the chase, because the synoptics might just work in your favour this time. no guarantee. also i havent seen a flake since April, and getting snow out of a weak easterly is like getting blood out of a stone, so in reality im in the same boat as you.

Yeah, you're right of course. And I'm more interested in trends than detail even as close out as 144. And the uppers issue will probably sort out. But, as a warning to new members, it might not

I'm relaxed though. Been disappointed so many times down the years that it's water off a duck's back so I don't worry about it anymore. My expectations are very, very low. I'd love to see severe cold and snow, of course, but if it doesn't happen, it doesn't. Philosophical now but that also means my own bias doesn't cloud me as much as it used to

Edited by LRD
  • Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

I haven't seen such convincing charts at this stage in the season since 2012. As coldies we should be grateful at the output on offer, and relish in the potential that could result rather than focus on any perceived negatives regarding specific uppers etc.

Those who have been around a while, may remember that ECM in 2012! I think it showed a potent easterly beast of sorts in the 4 day timeframe around mid month, but then dropped it last minute, and the high collapsed and we brought in mild atlantic flow, alas the cold came back just after christmas. Certainly winter 12-13 started on a cold note. Last time we were seeing charts with similiar possible prospects for the start of winter was probably 2012. 2017 and 2020 also started cold, but the dynamics were different, as you say atlantic was more in play, wedges rather than significant large blocking features.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,
1 hour ago, Jamie M said:

And the crowd goes wild

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map

Part of me wants to say "The Beast cometh"

But the winds are ESE from Ukraine/Black Sea, so temperatures would probably more likely be mid single figures with rain/hill sleet showers for some.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

Those who have been around a while, may remember that ECM in 2012! I think it showed a potent easterly beast of sorts in the 4 day timeframe around mid month, but then dropped it last minute, and the high collapsed and we brought in mild atlantic flow, alas the cold came back just after christmas. Certainly winter 12-13 started on a cold note. Last time we were seeing charts with similiar possible prospects for the start of winter was probably 2012. 2017 and 2020 also started cold, but the dynamics were different, as you say atlantic was more in play, wedges rather than significant large blocking features.

'

Certainly remember that! Wed 5th wasn't it @That ECM

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

ECM0-240.GIF?12ECM1-240.GIF?12

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Hurricane, Storm

• Like 1

Just now, LRD said:

Yeah, you're right of course. And I'm more interested in trends than detail even as close out as 144. And the uppers issue will sort out. But, as a warning to new members, it might not

I'm relaxed though. Been disappointed so many times down the years that it's water off a duck's back so I don't worry about it anymore. My expectations are very, very low. I'd love to see severe cold and snow, of course, but if it doesn't happen, it doesn't. Philosophical now but that also means my own bias doesn't cloud me as much as it used to

The uppers are unlikely to be cold enough during this initial easterly to support low level snow. The ssts are too warm, depth of continental cold too weak to produce a sub 200m asl snowline. It's the promise and potential that this pattern offers which raises interest for more favourable developments later on. I see this as a slow but steady progression of blocking which could offer several opportunities.

For new members, add a silent "no guarantee" to the end of every post, will make life easier.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Pretty strong signal for a mean z500 anom chart for ecm 12z..

EDH101-216.thumb.gif.91d1b63857981a4f048a51b03d083c4b.gif

Edit just noticed that is the 0z ...still a good signal. Lets see what the 12z looks like..

Edited by minus10
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

The uppers are unlikely to be cold enough during this initial easterly to support low level snow. The ssts are too warm, depth of continental cold too weak to produce a sub 200m asl snowline. It's the promise and potential that this pattern offers which raises interest for more favourable developments later on. I see this as a slow but steady progression of blocking which could offer several opportunities.

For new members, add a silent "no guarantee" to the end of every post, will make life easier.

This is why, IMHO, Greenland Highs are so much better than Scandi Highs. Colder uppers in quicker, little chance of warmer uppers mixing in from more southerly quarters of Europe and, when they establish, they seem to prove far more stable than Scandi Highs, which just seem to collapse, these days, under the merest pressure from the Jet. That might be a misconception from me but it's how I see it

If the Scandi sets up over Norway or between Norway and Iceland it can provide a cleaner evolution to cold but, for me, the orientation on a Scandi has to be almost perfect nowadays. Of course, if it is, the rewards are massive for my neck of the woods

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW

No one has even mentioned the ECM 12Z so far. Bad I’m presuming…

aside from the people posting last nights charts by accident!

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

ECM0-240.GIF?12ECM1-240.GIF?12

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Hurricane, Storm

The most epic of epic model fails. Looked nailed on for the 3rd frigid December in 4 after 2009 and 2010 and it unravelled in dramatic fashion

We haven't even come close to a cold December since despite 2017's promising start

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Jackski4 said:

No one has even mentioned the ECM 12Z so far. Bad I’m presuming…

aside from the people posting last nights charts by accident!

Kasim and I have been discussing it mate

Pattern, great. Uppers, crud

Edited by LRD