Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted

Morning all,ECM/GFS crucially all about 120 hrs /144 hrs showing the high pressure building from the south and transferring to the east holding it’s ground and then bingo Huge Scandinavian/Russian high taking over.Low pressure will try and push up to effect southern parts at times,over time with temperatures dropping this could set up possibly some of the white stuff,all of course if all goes to plan.Long time since I have seen such a promising winter set up for December.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
14 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Pages and pages to get through this morning!  Glad I didn’t watch the pub run yesterday!

ECM perfect this morning, and well backed up by ensembles.  Here’s op and mean anomalies T240:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Pattern, Outdoors, Nature, Face, Person, HeadCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

I have to say, given the ensembles are 51 runs, and the anomaly plot is therefore diluted by virtue of different individual runs having the block in slightly different places (hence it is more pink and less red than the op anomaly chart), it is a very strong signal and there looks now a high chance of the block being situated and orientated in a way to bring in a really decent, prolonged easterly.  So if it isn’t cold to start with, it will soon get colder.

Just a word on the op runs.  At the timescales we are interested in at the moment, the op runs will be churning out runs within a large envelope of uncertainty.  You can see roughly what that is from the ensembles, clusters etc.  So just because the 18z was a bad one doesn’t mean GFS has flipped or anything, it could be any of the other models that roll bad dice next time.  So while it is interesting to watch the individual runs come out, it is best done with an idea in the head of what that envelope of uncertainty currently is.  If an op run throws up a solution way outside that envelope, then take note, otherwise just expect a few good ones, a few bad ones and the occasional peach like the ECM op this morning - until the uncertainty reduces and we can see the way forward.

It's not just a small or weak block either. GFS showing a 1060mb high with very cold air just to our west and even getting into the country by the end of the run. Not sure what would shift that high to be honest. Definitely an interesting time to be model watching! I think we'll see a change in the Met's outlook presto.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
13 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

Some great posts this morning following the overnight runs.  As @CreweCold and others have said, this potential set up really does scream longevity and the positive on this occasion is that the transition looks fairly smooth and isn't overly complicated and reliant on shortwaves all over the place.  That said, the UKMO does show a different route, and whilst I don't think that will be the final outcome, it cannot be discounted.

I like to keep an eye on the GFS Ensemble graph when a possible cold spell is on the way to see if the cold rows are increasing, so this is from the 0z this morning.

Could contain: Tower, Building, Architecture, Chart

Nothing overly severe showing yet but a definite trend for something colder from 240.  Let's see if that increases as the days tick by!  Superb model viewing whatever happens.

I think I may have asked this before but do you have a link for these graphs?  I assume you can adjust them for your own location?

Thanks

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
6 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman in Yorks said:

I think I may have asked this before but do you have a link for these graphs?  I assume you can adjust them for your own location?

Thanks

I think you ask me this question annually Kentish 🤭

No problem, I get them from Meteociel.  If you go to the GEFS Ensemble page, there's an option called 'paintings'.  Just select your location, then voila!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted

Well the models are certainly playing with emotions at the moment, and can see more of that coming.

Everything is still too far out however, but something’s up what with all the changes going on.

As we stay indoors more this time of year, love it when there is so much interest and here’s to a decent 6z.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

The angrier the PV gets over that side of the hemisphere the more violent its ultimate disintegration will be. We could be looking at late Dec for part deux.

Think of a bike wheel spinning faster and faster and then think of what happens when you put a stick in it. Bits of stick go flying everywhere…in this case bits of PV would be the thing flying everywhere. Hopefully in a way that ultimately benefits us.

Come on- you know that one chunk would end up just sw of Greenland …….but if the leviathan of a siberian ridge sets up as it looks like it might then even that may not be a bad thing! 

59 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM clusters T192-T240:

Could contain: Book, Publication, Comics, Ct Scan, Person

Well, a full house of red borders = blocked, well = very blocked!  This illustrates what I said in the last post about the block being in slightly different places, you can see that on the 5 clusters, but very much variations on a strong theme now.  T264+

Could contain: Ct Scan, Book, Publication, Comics, Pattern

In the extended timescale, a couple of other options come into play, on clusters 2 and 4 retrogression, cluster 5 (7 members) brings in the Atlantic, unlikely, I would suggest.

Yes, too many clusters to bother too much with analysing that suite 

One thing nagging at me currently is the thought that the euro trough will end up too far west and leave nw europe in a flow without E european air source involvement 

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Come on- you know that one chunk would end up just sw of Greenland …….but if the leviathan of a siberian ridge sets up as it looks like it might then even that may not be a bad thing! 

Yes, too many clusters to bother too much with analysing that suite 

One thing nagging at me currently is the thought that the euro trough will end up too far west and leave nw europe in a flow without E european air source involvement 

Morning.  How are the pressure trend charts you shared yesterday looking?

And yes to your point on  euro trough there is annoying less cold air being scooped up by the back door.. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

The angrier the PV gets over that side of the hemisphere the more violent its ultimate disintegration will be. We could be looking at late Dec for part deux.

Think of a bike wheel spinning faster and faster and then think of what happens when you put a stick in it. Bits of stick go flying everywhere…in this case bits of PV would be the thing flying everywhere. Hopefully in a way that ultimately benefits us.

was thinking of this analogy the other day.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Good morning, folks... if the 00z ensembles are anything to go by, we're in for another day of mixed emotions:😁

Could contain: Plot, Chart    Could contain: Chart

• Like 4

Posted
18 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Morning.  How are the pressure trend charts you shared yesterday looking?

And yes to your point on  euro trough there is annoying less cold air being scooped up by the back door.. 

comparing todays 00z with yesterdays 06z shows little change (mean charts here) - yesterdays 00z with it’s notable griceland  mean upper ridge hasn’t returned 

Could contain: Map, Plot, Chart, Person    Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Map, Head

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Could contain: Plot, Chart

De Bilt..

Looks good to me, as does this.

Could contain: Chart

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Still some decent looking means this morning from the 00z suites.

SIngle runs will obviously flip between different solutions but in the broad scheme of things, a decent amount of blocking looks to be developing later next week.

Need to look out for the Atlantic, and not underestimate its power in flattening things out.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, PersonCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 5