Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted
1 hour ago, Eagle Eye said:

Welcome to Netweather.

I think there should be a sign on this thread every Winter saying "Please do not take every GFS run as gospel" 🤣

An even better sign would be "Please take everything past T168 with a pinch of salt"

I don't know how many times it happens but people still don't learn. 19 times out of 20 cold set ups in F.I. don't come to pass in the UK. 

It behoves seasoned model watchers, of whatever weather tastes, to show restraint until charts come inside a 5 day timeframe (T120). Then by all means get excited.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Really is something seeing charts almost mirror image of depths of Jan 63. Feet to remain firmly on ground as end of Jan & beginning of Dec are different beasts and the latter is still a forecast. Exciting times ahead

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Person, Diagram

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Not a bad GEFS 06Z temp ensembles; things inexorably headed in the desired direction:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Line Chart    Could contain: Plot, Chart  Could contain: Green, Logo, Light

• Like 8

Posted
55 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Not a bad GEFS 06Z temp ensembles; things inexorably headed in the desired direction:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Line Chart    Could contain: Plot, Chart  Could contain: Green, Logo, Light

Quite something to see every run between 0c and 5c in the south east at the end of the run…..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
1 hour ago, geordiekev said:

Thought you'd posted the 62/63 pattern there for a moment

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Person, Diagram

Notice the much lower heights (greens) in 1962 compared to this morning +240 ECM (Europe covered in yellow)

Any snowfall from that ECM chart would be very limited, we need lower heights to instil much greater instability to get proper snow from an easterly

The current high SSTs won’t help either.

Plenty of time for upgrades

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Right as you can see in the images attached below!big difference at just 90 hours between the ecm and gfs!!gfs has big blue shortwave north east uk where as ecm no shortwave at all as its cleared way north ready for the scandi high to pounce😈😈......

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

Notice the much lower heights (greens) in 1962 compared to this morning +240 ECM (Europe covered in yellow)

Any snowfall from that ECM chart would be very limited, we need lower heights to instil much greater instability to get proper snow from an easterly

Andy

Depends on the wind direction really.  Winds north of east will bring plenty of snow showers across the country.  The North Sea will be a big snow making machine this winter.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
31 minutes ago, Tamara said:

Totally agree with you. Caution is most definitely the game right now. Most of the teleconnection signals are too weak for proper long term forecasting so anyone who's seen my long term forecasts should know that they are essentially the best case scenario with the teleconnection signals.

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Right as you can see in the images attached below!big difference at just 90 hours between the ecm and gfs!!gfs has big blue shortwave north east uk where as ecm no shortwave at all as its cleared way north ready for the scandi high to pounce😈😈......

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

So ECM also does a 06z.  Jeeze it's relentless;) joking aside that would be a huge fail if our European model screws up at that range in our loca

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Still being quite cautious so far, it's exciting that we are getting some good sypnotics but at least in the short term is the lack of "Cold" air if your looking for widespread snowfall.

It will be chilly and actually quite seasonal for the time of year which makes a change considering how mild the year has been.

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

So ECM also does a 06z.  Jeeze it's relentless;) joking aside that would be a huge fail if our European model screws up at that range in our loca

Im gona try being positive here and say ecm is the correct one at 90 hours👀!!!!but yeh would be a big fail for my king model!!

• Like 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

Andy

Indeed Andy - lots of pattern matching which takes no account of the thickness/heights 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Nice to see the forum getting busier with a more blocked pattern upcoming.

Looking forward to following all the dramas in the weeks and months ahead 🙂

Hopefully some snowfalls and ice days incoming. Sales of heated blankets will be through the roof! I’ve got mine ready 🧊.

Edited by chris55
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
22 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

again …

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

I posted the GEFS 0z table from yesterday mornings run so thought I'd post todays equivalent to see which way we're trending (yesterdays on the left).

Could contain: Art, Chart  Could contain: Chart, Building, Architecture

So whilst they are not the most reliable tool (they can flip at the drop of a hat), nevertheless the ensembles have undoubtedly trended colder over the last day.  Let's see what the 12z's have to say.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Does an 18z aswell my friend🤣!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
5 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

I posted the GEFS 0z table from yesterday mornings run so thought I'd post todays equivalent to see which way we're trending (yesterdays on the left).

Could contain: Art, Chart  Could contain: Chart, Building, Architecture

So whilst they are not the most reliable tool (they can flip at the drop of a hat), nevertheless the ensembles have undoubtedly trended colder over the last day.  Let's see what the 12z's have to say.

Colder and cold earlier 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Despite the constant downward trend forecasts for the AAM on the GWO it's stayed in quite a steady state.

Could contain: Page, Text, Plot, Chart

So that still makes me a little wary of the latest CFS but there's no real reason not to believe it.

Could contain: Chart, Line Chart

I've also noticed the GWO's chop and change a lot from run to run and aren't amazingly accurate considering that a small change in phases has quite a wide impact on future events.

14th November

Says by now we'd be on the border between phase 7 and the weak GWO.

Could contain: Plot, Chart

18th November

Says by now we'd be firmly into the weak GWO (+7 etc is the amount of days)

vs where we are now (green dot)

So, not focusing on the forecast yet and a bit of realism, there is a lot that's at stake here and truthfully, there is no set-in stone answer for this December onwards.

The MJO pattern doesn't really have a solution to it

The ECM looks fairly good for moving back to phases 6 and 7 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Text

However, the CFS and GFS extended both show it curving down towards phases 1,2 and 3. Note that the GFS especially has a large spread though and so MJO wise, there's too much spread to be definite of anything yet...

Could contain: Plot, Chart, TextCould contain: Plot, Chart

Going to be interesting to see what happens with this much spread, makes forecasting long-term very difficult

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
4 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

I'll be keeping the frame from the latter stage of it saved as when I say that's signs of a classic snowy setup like the beauts of 2010, 2009 etc I'm not trying to hype 

animjuf1.thumb.gif.25c9c8c8e86469161cb04f3e207933db.gif Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Face, Person, Head

GEFS makes that two means I'll be saving... 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Face, Person, Head animyaj7.thumb.gif.73087bed55daa9d3a2cae74645766ed1.gif

animjcy5.thumb.gif.dac3bbed92fefa20b65d5d0617901e5e.gifanimpvy5.thumb.gif.bd642f0cb9154708acfb60073c185e0d.gif

animlgc1.thumb.gif.88ef4b265942952adbc2e8900e32857b.gifanimdpj4.thumb.gif.e7eadd51eda4fd09509c49c6638b1db7.gif

animpft1.thumb.gif.27dee95807d2511b8bd4ae96a6aac4da.gif

• Like 4