Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - moving into Winter

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread.  Or, head to the moans and ramps thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
17 minutes ago, Eastern Scotland WX said:

I’ve never liked the ensemble graphs on Meteociel , prefer Wetterzentrle as you can see clusters.

the full ecm ones do come out on meteociel in an hour, you can see the individual members on the graph.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
44 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Day 10 on the ECM has a dusting of snow in many places, obviously JFF as we’d struggle to get this right at day 2 even!! 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

Any chance you could crop the image in such a way that it removes the French but includes us in the Highlands ?

cheers

• Like 8

Posted
2 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

Any chance you could crop the image in such a way that it removes the French but includes us in the Highlands ?

cheers

This is all it shows sorry 😞 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Page, Text, Person, Wristwatch

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
Just now, Eastern Scotland WX said:

Here you go

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person

That's great, thanks very much.

Looking good for many of us in the Highlands 😉

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
1 hour ago, John88B said:

The ecm has been very consistent now for a few days whilst the gfs has flapped about.

If the ecm proves correct, which I have a hunch it is, would it be wise to take more notice of the ecm this winter rather than the gfs or does it not work like that?

I'd be interested to see the verification stats of both lately.

Day 5:

Could contain: Line Chart, Chart

Day 10 (perhaps of more interest to us currently) note strong performance of GEM recently:

Could contain: Line Chart, Chart

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Does anyone have access to the latest Decider model/graphic that was posted on here recently?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

While the GFS op wasn't what we want to see, this really isn't a bad set of ensembles. Especially for towards the SE of England.

Could contain: Plot, Chart

Could contain: Electronics

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
18 minutes ago, Eastern Scotland WX said:

The Met Office 10 day trend will be interesting.

is that on their YT channel? when does it come out?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Oh I've missed the pure adrenalin rush of the rollercoaster ride that is 'Model Output Discussion' in the winter.  Fascinating. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
12 minutes ago, TEITS said:

The Bullseye over Greenland is all I really need to say today.

I do confess to having mixed feelings though due to knowing the effects this may have on energy bills. Also increasing demand could result in rationing of supplies. The worrying truth is the infamous Greenland blocking set up can be locked in for a very long time. This is especially true if blocking remains and extends into Scandinavia and you end up with alternating spells of E,lys/NE,lys/N,lys.

Let me put it this way. If I was to draw my own synoptic charts for the perfect cold spell in the UK then it would be very close to what the ECM OP/Mean is actually showing. The models will struggle though as they always do when we see the reverse of our normal weather patterns.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Pattern, Face, Head, Person

Surely that low pressure anomaly is too far North? to me that suggests warm air off the mid atlantic will be drawn up over most of the Country, leaving any wintriness in Scotland ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

ICON 6z only goes out to 120hrs but you can see the PV lobe over the pole primed to head towards Scandinavia. This lobe holds the intense cold air we hope to eventually tap into as the the high to our north moves NW and the cold air is ushered SW towards Blighty as per this mornings EC. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

• Like 5

Posted

Great ECM, but I want to see 2 things now. Cross model support and for that support to tick down from day 10

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Surely that low pressure anomaly is too far North? to me that suggests warm air off the mid atlantic will be drawn up over most of the Country, leaving any wintriness in Scotland ?

1 minute ago, Singularity said:

The 500 hPa anomalies are skewed negative by colder airmasses. With the coldest air being on the north side, that means the surface lows will be further south of the upper trough centres than usual (in any case, surface lows typically travel within the southern flank of troughs and then swing into the centre once matured). 

I'd estimate the polar boundary to be somewhere over the southern half of the UK on that mean.

The mean is obvs affected by the less cold cluster at a higher latitiude

what we’ve seen on two successive ops is the greeny ridge pushing further se and keeping the Atlantic lw trough further south. 

the eps clusters are improved on yesterdays noon run. Meteociel is frozen on the detailed ens charts which is a pain. 

gfs, gem and icon are all an improvement on yesterday.  The pendulum continues to swing - hopefully those swings get ever smaller. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
44 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Come to think of it, a chart exists that demonstrates what I'm talking about.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Atlas, Diagram

As I suspected, mean polar boundary likely somewhere over southern UK (-5°C 850 hPa isotherm is usually a sufficient loose guide).

In fact the mean low pressure axis is arguably through the Channel.

Overall, support from the ECM det. pathway has increased this morning, though it's still not enough to make a confident call in my opinion.

N. Hem views at +144 in order of support level from least to most. Notably, UKM & GEM are very close and GEM goes on to be almost on par with ECM, which suggests that despite not being nearly as advanced with proceedings as ECM at this point, UKM would follow a similar path during the following days.

Typical that the model would chose today to slack off putting out a 00z +168 chart!

image.thumb.png.5a63542acfbff3dfa27aa35ecf58fd76.pngimage.png

image.thumb.png.e85f09b805609a68171c0399f97a63bb.pngimage.thumb.png.9e5192ee7d6534760b3416d8ee72d0e6.pngimage.thumb.png.32ac1a5200877b03878223548b4dee94.png

Rouge UKM chart removed - thanks to @Blessed Weather

Edited by Singularity
Rouge UKM chart removed
  • Like 5

Posted

Gfs op still not coming to the party. However, ecm is holding firm and if anything, it's ens are an improvement too. In fact, this is the best 168hr mean chart of the season so far. 

EDH1-168.gif

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Right onto the next GfS - too late this time but we could play a game every GFS- mark on the map analysis chart where abouts the quasi stationary spoiler low / shortwave will set up.

• Like 3