Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - moving into Winter

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread.  Or, head to the moans and ramps thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
8 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Here's the Dalmatian plot from todays 12z ECM. I appreciate its a complete mess but each dot represents where a member places the centre of the low (red circle is the low in question) Broad support for a slider/more southerly tracking low vs a northerly one. I.e, UK remains cold.

Could contain: Paper

Well, that’s cleared that up! 🙃

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms
7 minutes ago, weatherguy said:

Take a look at my profile pic, that was 2010 🥶

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, ArtCould contain: Outdoors, Nature, ArtCould contain: Art, Outdoors, Nature, GraphicsCould contain: Art, Modern Art, Outdoors, Graphics, Nature, Accessories

An outrageously strong GH with an entire segment of PV dropping straight onto us...Followed by a brutal easterly...Followed by another brutal northerly...Followed by another brutal easterly...Etc etc.  

I think in 11/12 years it's easy to forget just how special that was, absolutely mindblowing that we effectively spawned our own coldpool.

Onto this modelled setup:

We have a big shot from the north, due to a strong GH (block around greenland), followed by an easterly with potential undercutting LP systems.  Long story short, very good yes, and the initial source is pretty similar, but not absolutely outrageous as 2010 was.  2010-2011 also was incredibly prolonged, and we are yet to see if this will have the same longevity - it hasn't begun yet!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art, Outdoors, Modern ArtCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Plot, Chart, Accessories, Art

Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely ecstatic that this current cold spell seems to be on the way, and with the first cold coming into the very reliable period and other signals suggesting this could go on for a while, then things could indeed get very interesting!

Thank you so much for that amazing analysis 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
1 hour ago, Met4Cast said:

Just for fun the ECM produces a technical polar low to the NE of Scotland

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Hurricane, Storm, Plot, Chart

Could someone please explain what's going on in the 'red box' below?

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Hurricane, Storm

Cheers, TE.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Liam Burge said:

Who needs movies when you have this type of setup at Christmas and the Netweather forums?

I hope it’s not The Nightmare Before Christmas.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!
10 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Though Dec 2010 didn’t last much beyond the end of the month. You’ve got the winter of 09/10 tacked on there rather than Jan 11.

The big difference for me this time is the background state. Dec 10 always looked likely to break down though it kept being delayed. This time around a breakdown is much harder to see - at least at the moment.

I did think after I posted hang on that doesn't exactly fit my recollection oops, blame the Saturday night festivities 😳 

Broad point still stands mind, as I recall the Dec 2010 spell started in November and did last a very long time with reloads, so fortunately my post wasn't full of complete gunk! 

I have edited my post to show the actual progression now!

Edited by weatherguy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
4 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

Could someone please explain what's going on in the 'red box' below?

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Hurricane, Storm

Cheers, TE.

Dry as a bone!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms
2 minutes ago, weatherguy said:

I did think after I posted hang on that doesn't exactly fit my recollection oops, blame the Saturday night festivities 😳 

Broad point still stands mind, as I recall the Dec 2010 spell started in November and did last a very long time with reloads, so fortunately my post wasn't full of complete gunk! 

Nov 24th was our First significant snowfall in the NE of England and it didn't stop snowing unti Middle of Dec! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
2 minutes ago, Sweatyman said:

Dry as a bone!

But then what is the difference between that and the darker green over Southern England?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW
1 minute ago, The Enforcer said:

But then what is the difference between that and the darker green over Southern England?

Cloud cover 🙂

• Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, clark3r said:

I am starting to believe that I will get my snow cover for the first time since 2010. Excited by charts, it is def coming home England 😀

I grew up in Sompting and there was plenty of snow in the 70s.  Less so since, I'm sure.  I think there could be a few surprise snow events in the coming days with cold air in situ

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
14 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Though Dec 2010 didn’t last much beyond the end of the month. You’ve got the winter of 09/10 tacked on there rather than Jan 11.

The big difference for me this time is the background state. Dec 10 always looked likely to break down though it kept being delayed. This time around a breakdown is much harder to see - at least at the moment.

Yes agree. It was really the calendar year of 2010 that was quite remarkable. Early Jan 2010 very cold and snowy, after a cold December 2009, and then a frigid December the following winter, which actually started early in late November. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Can I ask please . Am I looking in the right place here for the Ens / Mean etc? Seems people post these means quicker than I can ever get access . Is there a better way ? Thanks in advance .

Could contain: Text, Nature, Outdoors, File

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

The site is really slow in building up, maybe time for a new threat?

• Like 1