Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
21 minutes ago, Lord Baltimore said:

A couple of weeks and the first signs of Spring will be here. Currently 13c in Plymouth. Heating off and I'm sat in a tee shirt. 

Our spring daffodils will be making an appearance shortly if the mild weather persists. I kid you not!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Every year, there are people struggling to stay warm. Whilst I am sympathetic, I simply refuse to let the greedy energy companies influence my weather preferences. I am personally hoping we have many more cold spells to come, particularly after the very mild year we have had. There's plenty of time for predominently mild weather from March onwards.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Our spring daffodils will be making an appearance shortly if the mild weather persists. I kid you not!

It’s only started to turn milder. Lol it’s been freezing for ages.

28 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Every year, there are people struggling to stay warm. Whilst I am sympathetic, I simply refuse to let the greedy energy companies influence my weather preferences. I am personally hoping we have many more cold spells to come, particularly after the very mild year we have had. There's plenty of time for predominently mild weather from March onwards.

But it has been cold or very cold just recently. A mild spell for a few days wouldn’t go a miss. Even with the milder weather, our flat still needs some heating, as it’s damp.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s only started to turn milder. Lol it’s been freezing for ages.

But it has been cold or very cold just recently. A mild spell for a few days wouldn’t go a miss. Even with the milder weather, our flat still needs some heating, as it’s damp.

I don't mind some mild days, but just don't want them to dominate throughout the winter. Another winter like 2020/21 would be good.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

37mm of rain so far.

Someone else with a station that's about 400 metres away, as the crow flies, has recorded 40mm, so it's certainly been wet in this locale.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

37mm of rain so far.

Someone else with a station that's about 400 metres away, as the crow flies, has recorded 40mm, so it's certainly been wet in this locale.

I saw your post the other day with the chart showing the south coast being extremely wet and the wettest part of the county by the end of tomorrow. Seems it wasn't wrong. Just hit 30mm here.  

• Like 1

Posted

Welp! That’s your lot for the cold spell! Now what WAS that?! Don’t get me wrong I loved the sunny, sparkly, frosty days but to have NO snow during what was quite a potent cold spell is terrible luck! We had more snow in November 2021! 
Here’s to better luck in January🍀

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
7 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

Welp! That’s your lot for the cold spell! Now what WAS that?! Don’t get me wrong I loved the sunny, sparkly, frosty days but to have NO snow during what was quite a potent cold spell is terrible luck! We had more snow in November 2021! 
Here’s to better luck in January🍀

Yes I think that spell was more notable for what it didn’t bring rather than what it did. I don’t think I’ve ever had such a long and cold period not deliver any snow imby. For that reason alone I class it as a mid tier spell if that.

On to the next one… just need to get beyond this week’s vom from the south!

Posted
6 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Yes I think that spell was more notable for what it didn’t bring rather than what it did. I don’t think I’ve ever had such a long and cold period not deliver any snow imby. For that reason alone I class it as a mid tier spell if that.

On to the next one… just need to get beyond this week’s vom from the south!

Me neither!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
20 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Is that right? I'd guess that somewhere like Stockholm would be pretty sunny during its extremely limited daylight, as it's in the rain-shadow of the Scandinavian mountains so even SW-lies wouldn't be so gloomy.

But pre-3pm sunsets would be a definite no-no for me. Nonetheless I'd imagine that for most of the year (let's say March to October) it would be more agreeable than the UK.

I think some time ago, the European capitals were rated by sunshine levels in summer and winter. Can't remember the results, but I'd guess Stockholm would have a significantly higher percentage of theoretical maximum sunshine than London in the winter. I'd have guessed the really gloomy capitals (in no particular order) would include Reykjavik, Dublin, Oslo, London, Brussels, Amsterdam and Copenhagen, as all are fairly exposed to SW-lies - but I do seem to remember Berlin was unexpectedly cloudy in winter, surprising for somewhere far downwind of the Atlantic.

Prague (as a random example from Central Europe) gets 46 hours of sun in December on average, while London gets 55 hours - so Prague is duller than London in winter both in absolute terms and in percentage terms.

Kyiv in Ukraine is about as far from the Atlantic as you can get in Europe and gets a measly 31 hours of sun in December, even less than a famously dull/rainy city like Glasgow (and Kyiv is further south so should have a daylight advantage)

Distance from the Atlantic has nothing to do with winter dullness. Indeed Central Europe is often sat under an inversion in winter, with days upon days of low cloud and fog - and a sun far too weak to shift it.

Europe for the most part is just a dull & cloudy continent. Even Milan only gets 69 hours of sun in December - cities at the same latitude in the US get over 100 hours in December (Boston in Massachusetts gets 142 hours of sun in December!!).

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

Snow and ice have finally thawed after one entire week on the ground. Heating went off last night for the first time in 10 days. Able to open up and air the house. Cellar is useable. Bliss!

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Dusk1983 said:

Snow and ice have finally thawed after one entire week on the ground. Heating went off last night for the first time in 10 days. Able to open up and air the house. Cellar is useable. Bliss!

Enjoy it... I suspect you'll be having this for a week or so...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

12 degrees out there this morning....and it's bloody lovely.

Was sick to death of having to navigate the death trap roads and paths round here thick with ice all last week. Not enjoyable. Snow was nice when it first came down, but after a week of having your life made difficult it gets very tedious.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

13 c here this morning.  Last Fri morning was -4c. Bit of a difference for the kids walking to school this morning. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

After 11 days of snow & ice it’s a real relief for it to be gone. As others have said, it’s tiring travelling & living with snow, clearing paths/drives, salting, building fires, cleaning fires, restocking fuel, extra time for driving, trudging thro snow for dog walking, trying to defrost the garden pond (absolutely impossible, I suspect the frogs 🐸 may be dead 😞), the list goes on….🥱🥱🥱. Good to have a rest from it all for a while 😌

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

When’s the last time we had a major battleground between mild and cold and the cold winning the battle ?

This week hopefully.

The mild air taking control of the Winter weather  over the UK and Europe has been persistent the past 35 years or so.

So odds are most definitely against the cold coming back.To think no Januay since the late 80s has matched the cold of the past 10 days,shows how crud the Winters have become for cold and snowy weather.

An utter joke a traversty and a load of bull that it has been so persistet the mild air winning out so often 😕

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

What a awful feel to the weather today, gone is the fantastic crisp weather, mild unpleasant crap replaces it....thankfully only for a short period but very unwelcome any way

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

The local radio station is playing December 1987 on its golden hour.

Entirely appropriate given the weather today is very reminiscent of that month.

Edited by Summer8906