Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion. 3/12/2022. How cold will it get?

Message added by Paul,

Winter has arrived and the model thread is very busy, as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
Just now, Kasim Awan said:

the short term models are 3d so they would factor in any layer interactions meaning that this mechanism wouldnt really be much of a limiting factor imo

True but something just seems off in the models.

This amount of shearing would surely have quite a lot of effect.

To quote the RMet..

"Genesis is intimately tied to the magnitude of the tilt and is found to occur once the mid-level vortex has precessed into the up-shear flank. For smaller values of maximum tilt, vortex precession is comparatively rapid, aided by “showerhead” moistening provided by the up-shear advection of frozen condensate aloft. With the up-shear flank pre-moistened, rapid precession of the mid-level vortex, at smaller radii, leads to near saturation on the mesoscale and the onset of rapid intensification. When the magnitude of the tilt is quite large, precession is much slower and the showerhead effect is significantly reduced until just prior to the emergence of the mid-level vortex in the up-shear flank."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
16 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

man if we can deliver that low to italy then the potential to our NE is crazy....

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map

It is somehow a possible outcome… in Germany we call it south westerly stream development…

Edited by Vikos
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Moot point because it won't look exactly like that but I reckon if iICON ran another 48 hours that low would be going under. Danger with ICON is if it stalls, which would probably inflate Iberian heights

TSNWK's jet stream map would indicate there is enough energy to make sure the low gets a move on but there is energy near/over us too. If it could go under and get to Italy, as other have said, that would advect some very cold air westwards to the UK. A cold pattern could then prove resilient

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
10 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

ICON is hopeless, in my experience. No matter what some might claim.

Well I make a claim that it is the model that nailed that failed cold snap 2 or 3 years back! Then all the others followed suite. Let's see where the other 12s go before rubbishing it's credentials.

Edited by MATTWOLVES
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Well I make a claim that it is the model that nailed that failed cold snap 2 or 3 years back! Then all the others followed suite. Let's see where the other 12s go before rubbishing it's credentials.

And has lagged behind every other model 99% of the time I’ve looked at it.

Even a broken clock….

2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Dusting in many areas & perhaps more for some on icon by Friday 

Could contain: Plot, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Rainforest, Coast, Shoreline, Map

But given the dumping it has got me, I could be persuaded to believe in its credentials 😜

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

True but something just seems off in the models.

This amount of shearing would surely have quite a lot of effect.

To quote the RMet..

"Genesis is intimately tied to the magnitude of the tilt and is found to occur once the mid-level vortex has precessed into the up-shear flank. For smaller values of maximum tilt, vortex precession is comparatively rapid, aided by “showerhead” moistening provided by the up-shear advection of frozen condensate aloft. With the up-shear flank pre-moistened, rapid precession of the mid-level vortex, at smaller radii, leads to near saturation on the mesoscale and the onset of rapid intensification. When the magnitude of the tilt is quite large, precession is much slower and the showerhead effect is significantly reduced until just prior to the emergence of the mid-level vortex in the up-shear flank."

Shear based weakening is a function in tropical storms theres too much extratropical influence for shear to cause much weakening

4 minutes ago, Vikos said:

It is somehow a possible outcome… in Germany we call it south westerly stream development…

you wouldnt want to know what we call a southwesterly stream development in britain, probably be banned from the forum 😀

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Wish I hadn’t mentioned that storm now. Shall we just wait and see what happens?

😂

• Like 5

Posted
26 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

The, as stated by some, "impossible" low is funnily enough back with a vegence - and further north on Icon 12z (the globe's most powerful short range model). Not too encouraging.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Most powerful short range model? Do you have a link for that claim?

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Shear based weakening is a function in tropical storms theres too much extratropical influence for shear to cause much weakening

I know it's a bit out of date but the system forms from a tropical wave sourced roughly off just the West coast of Africa and quoting @Ben Sainsbury yesterday

"That blow-up low on the ICON 12z & GFS 6z is definitely a tropical system. Obvious warm core on the models, but I just cannot see it strengthening/deepening like it does."

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
18 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Disappointing start, noteworthy cold is gone even before the weekend.

Not to say that low will deepen because it's near impossible but gets strong enough it will wreak the entire thing!

The 850s aren't representative of what happens at the surface as quick silver pointed out.

Slack winds, very low sun / short daylength, low heights, that would make surface temperatures cold or very cold, not much above freezing during the day and well below by night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Metwatch said:

The 850s aren't representative of what happens at the surface as quick silver pointed out.

Slack winds, very low sun / short daylength, low heights, that would make surface temperatures cold or very cold, not much above freezing during the day and well below by night.

For most of England yes that is true, however for costal areas, parts of Wales and the south west they do recover temperatures back to around average.

I guess we can't complain tbh 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

I know it's a bit out of date but the system forms from a tropical wave sourced roughly off just the West coast of Africa and quoting @Ben Sainsbury yesterday

"That blow-up low on the ICON 12z & GFS 6z is definitely a tropical system. Obvious warm core on the models, but I just cannot see it strengthening/deepening like it does."

its not deepening due to high ssts and 0 shear tho like a tropical system

tropical core yes but deepened via extratropical interaction

so not subject to same functions as a tropical system

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Slowly slowly.. better core heights across Scandi on the 12z run. We’ll likely see slow changes re the low until we reach a tipping point and suddenly the entire ensemble suite will be in agreement, one way or another.. 

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Kasim Awan said:

its not deepening due to high ssts and 0 shear tho like a tropical system

tropical core yes but deepened via extratropical interaction

so not subject to same functions as a tropical system

If it's a warm core then it acts like a tropical system.

The extratropical interaction you influence is very little in it's initial stage, moisture coming from it's south but as a warm core it still works as a convective centre influenced tropical system and the shearing will disassociate itself from it's low level circulation unless it happens to be very 'lucky'.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
19 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

850s not representative of the surface.

Friday afternoon, temps widely at or below freezing:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Saturday afternoon, same again:

Sunday afternoon, same again:

Is that rain coming in on Sunday in Southern counties possibly turning to snow ? 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Ali1977 said:

This could be better 👀

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art

Why.. I was just thinking slightly better thread of link to the Asia lobe for our trough., but just noise I thought? You seeing then?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
10 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

It definitely does form from a tropical wave, but judging by the runs today it doesn't look like it really deepens much until it approaches much closer to the UK, probably more akin to sub-tropical rather than tropical. That's my mistake.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
24 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

No major drama from the ICON .

I don’t see a mild solution from its T180 hrs and the slack low heights over the UK are quite unusual .

Theres also a possibility we’ll see surface pressure building over Scandi which should help .

Not a bad start . No bells and whistles but equally the NW helpline shouldn’t be overloaded .

Onto the GFS and UKMO now ! 

The last slack low heights of note was 2009/10 our own home grown cold pool and streamers off the irish sea dumped heaps of the white stuff.Much to look forward to peeps

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Why.. I was just thinking slightly better thread of link to the Asia lobe for our trough., but just noise I thought? You seeing then?

Was thinking it could cut off the area of heights around Svalbard, when may help it all head further south!! We shall see 

• Thanks 1