Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion. 3/12/2022. How cold will it get?

Message added by Paul,

Winter has arrived and the model thread is very busy, as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

42 minutes ago, CSC said:

GFS pub run is going to be a cracker.. Blocking established at just day 3. I reckon this could show some singificant precip. Lets wait..!

It did in the end.. but cunjured up some crazy tropical storm. What is going on with our weather?!  This is bonkers.

Tonights run really sets it up for an interesting UKMO and ECM 00z. I personally think the 18z is a blip. The ensembles will be worth a close watch..

• Like 1

Posted

I go out for a few hours and come back to the most bizarre runs I’ve ever seen. Very, very interesting times ahead.

• Like 5

Posted

We've seen this time and time again, there's always a fly in the ointment that seems to scupper things  but this just makes me all the more keen to see what the next set of runs will bring for better or worse!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
18 minutes ago, sorepaw1 said:

Very impressive 18z GFS a T+87 hrs

Wednesday I wouldn't rule out snow showers for London and the

South East Wednesday night .

Trying not to come across as ramping but it's getting impossible not to mention snow in posts with what's showing .

22120706_0318.gif

Which model is this run by? 🙏 

Could contain: Text

Could contain: Text, Person

Could contain: Text, Person

• Like 1

Posted

So as another day of model watching concludes i believe we have strengthened the cold a little for end of week and weekend. 

for longevity we are risk by the ex tropica storm approach day 8ish.. still far away that we can adjustment south and less extreme pressure.. the 18z disrupted better and a snap comparison I took at day 9 had the 0 850 around south coast on the 12z it was Newcastle to Carlisle, a nice 300 mile correction. Same again over the runs tomorrow is not unrealistic at the time range 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Met4Cast said:

The GFS det bombs that low by 20mb in just 4 hours, that would break the world record. Even the strongest tropical cyclones haven't reached that level of bombing. So.. given the GFS det appears to be pushing the boundaries of the laws of physics there I am certain we can bin that idea as not  remotely realistic. 

Funny to see, but no.

I don't think this update did the GFS any good, that's actually ridiculous for what's supposed to be a top model. Not even the likes of hurricane Dorian with perfect tropical cyclogenisis conditions achieved that level of rapid intensification 

Edited by Howie
  • Like 3

Posted
Just now, Met4Cast said:

The GFS det bombs that low by 20mb in just 4 hours, that would break the world record. Even the strongest tropical cyclones haven't reached that level of bombing. So.. given the GFS det appears to be pushing the boundaries of the laws of physics there I am certain we can bin that idea as not  remotely realistic. 

Funny to see, but no.

The perfect-perfect storm lol. You’re right though… it’s borderline impossible.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
3 minutes ago, seb said:

Mainly GFS.

I thought so, Thank you was quite shocked if im honest! Didn't expect anything here im sure it will change I find Met app usually the most accurate for us here in the lowland urban heat island by the Thames noticed its yet to even mention sleet for here. Anyway model talk- Hope GFS is right in that case!

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 3

Posted

GFS has thrown up dartboard Lows for as long as i've been a member on here - they always turn out as complete baloney. 

Shannon's out on the town for her pre-Christmas party.

Edited by Bristle Si
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
4 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Funny to see, but no.

Yes it's hidious

I would expect further corrections south over the coming days because it would be WEEKER.

just to add,it is further south on this run than the 12z so that's a step in the right direction 🙂

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
1 minute ago, Met4Cast said:

Funny to see, but no.

It is odd that the model runs are published with impossible/unprecedented situations. I would have imagined that really silly modelling would be highlighted and reviewed by humans. It is a bit like poor payment systems that send ridiculously high payments out to people. Where is the common sense check?

• Like 4

Posted

I know we always say this but the next set of 00z runs will give us a big indicator as to whether this will turn out to be a cold snap or an actual proper cold spell for once (please lord!)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

GEFS 18z ensembles T120, and it is still about half that cut the low off, half keep the NE flow.  

gens_panelmqf1.php.png

Change is there is support for the latter from ECM op, and some ECM ensembles, now.  Should be resolved tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
25 minutes ago, seb said:

I go out for a few hours and come back to the most bizarre runs I’ve ever seen. Very, very interesting times ahead.

Same here, as an amateur my head is 🤯 my only take from this evenings runs is, are we on the cusp of something.....?strange but interesting times ahead!

Edited by Wold Topper
  • Like 3

Posted

Normally I’d agree that it’s just the GFS and it’s love of dartboard lows, however, other models show similar. Such a strong system or not, though, whether it’ll actually directly impact the U.K. and dislodge the cold is another question and not the most likely outcome at present.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

P10 would be crippling at just 96

-12.🥶

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water, Atlas, Diagram

infact,..it shows -14 for my area on the ens graph at 84 hrs.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Map, Sea, WaterCould contain: Chart

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 6

Posted
22 minutes ago, CSC said:

To be fair to the MetOffice, it has stuck to its guns and tonight has trended colder. It hasn't moved for days. It's the most accurate one right now!

Not necessarily the most accurate, it maybe wrong and underestimating the storm! Time will tell

• Like 1