Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Stopped now.. nice ice sugar coating everywhere.. hopefully tomorrow be clear to see the if the hills have got a snow dust cover

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
28 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Not teasing mate my assessment is that slow moving heavy snow showers may produce ,>10cm locally in a narrow band somewhere between mcr and the coast

Pretty sure this place will be on fire tomorrow night

HARMONIE

Classic setup incoming

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Atlas, Diagram, Sea, Water

Not 100% ofcourse

No good for here. The 09 and 10 spells had me tearing my hair out as showers got no further S than Northwich.

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

No good for here. The 09 and 10 spells had me tearing my hair out as showers got no further S than Northwich.

I think we were watching the radar together!! haha.  We need a more NW tint! 🤞

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
32 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Pretty sure of it

Echoes of 5th Jan 2010 tomorrow night

1 inch

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

Very interesting developments! 👀❄️ 

You maybe right you know - 5th Jan 2010 was picked up only a few hrs ahead of impact & when snow had started to fall. 

5th Jan 2010 brought a ft of snow to MCR City Centre/ N Cheshire 

S Cheshire had about 7-10cm’s so are you saying we’ll see similar tomorrow night surely not?! 😳👀❄️😄 

Hey Joe .

I do remember the NAE model (the precursor to the EURO4) accurately predicting the 5th Jan event, it predicted deep snow cover for Manchester in the run before the event. I remember seeing it and getting v excited. The meto app had a few heavy snow symbols too if I recall.

The TV forecasts very reluctant to forecast it though - they’re often poor with Irish Sea snow events, especially anything other than the typical NW’ly Cheshire gap. 

Dianne Oxberry (RIP) had the local knowledge though and knew when these events were coming, always listened to her! 😊

• Like 2

Posted
38 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Pretty sure of it

Echoes of 5th Jan 2010 tomorrow night

I hope against hope that you're right, that was one of the biggest falls of snow I've ever seen if not the biggest.

Posted
48 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Not teasing mate my assessment is that slow moving heavy snow showers may produce ,>10cm locally in a narrow band somewhere between mcr and the coast

Pretty sure this place will be on fire tomorrow night

HARMONIE

Classic setup incoming

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Atlas, Diagram, Sea, Water

Not 100% ofcourse

Ah don't like that map, we are in the only white bit! Nudge that orange further north please! Give me a 21 Dec 09 event over 5 Jan 10 anyday, the latter was much better further south, we had a couple of inches, however, the former brought thunder snow here and very heavy it was, 7 inches by the end. 

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
12 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Yeah we got the short straw for sure in the SE of the region that winter. Saw falling & accumulating snow both Dec 09 & Jan 2010 but not the big snow depths seen across other areas max depth around 8cm from memory - I do remember a deep frontal snowfall mid-late Feb 2010 though. Crewe saw a few cm’s covering on 5th Jan nowhere near the ft of snow the likes of Stockport 20 miles to the NE saw though 🤦🏻‍♂️❄️🥶 

Beggars can’t be choosers I’ll take a covering after last winter it’ll look festive at least! 😄  

Posted
1 minute ago, Kasim Awan said:

Ingredients are there I think for a surprise

Everything needs to come together tho unlike in 2010 - so any higher accumulations will be fairly localized 

I guess the fact that the risk is high overnight will help things significantly. Best snowfalls are always the surprise ones!

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

Yeah we got the short straw for sure in the SE of the region that winter. Saw falling & accumulating snow both Dec 09 & Jan 2010 but not the big snow depths seen across other areas max depth around 8cm from memory - I do remember a deep frontal snowfall mid-late Feb 2010 though. Crewe saw a few cm’s covering on 5th Jan nowhere near the ft of snow the likes of Stockport 20 miles to the NE saw though 🤦🏻‍♂️❄️🥶 

Beggars can’t be choosers I’ll take a covering after last winter it’ll look festive at least! 😄  

We only got we did because a small low formed. We got the last dregs of energy before it pushed S and renergised over S England. The initial showers did not hit us.

We need a direct NWly this far S.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted

The events of 09 and 10 probably contributed to my bitterness and general negativity with regards to cold spells. In as much I love cold and snow but it’s hard to get excited unless it’s a perfect set up.

Seeing a foot of snow is a once in 50 year event for low lying NW England and I missed the boat. It was gutting.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
7 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

The events of 09 and 10 probably contributed to my bitterness and general negativity with regards to cold spells.

Seeing a foot of snow is a once in 50 year event for low lying NW England and I missed the boat. It was gutting.

It was still a memorable winter to be fair. We did a lot better in Dec 2010 - joined in with the rest of the region with the big snowfall of 17th/18th Dec 2010 I had over 10cm then. Maybe this year we’ll see more than just a cm or two! 😄❄️ But yeah for an inland location S Cheshire is pants for deep snow depths! 😄🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Edited by Joe Snow

Posted
Just now, Joe Snow said:

It was still a memorable winter to be fair. We did a lot better in Dec 2010 - joined in with the rest of the region with the big snowfall of 17th/18th Dec 2010 I had over 10cm then. Maybe this year we’ll see more than just a cm or two! 😄❄️ But yeah for an inland location S Cheshire is pants for snow depths! 😄🤦🏻‍♂️ 

A slack true NWly would be gold dust for us…but they are rarer than rocking horse crap. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

It was still a memorable winter to be fair. We did a lot better in Dec 2010 - joined in with the rest of the region with the big snowfall of 17th/18th Dec 2010 I had over 10cm then. Maybe this year we’ll see more than just a cm or two! 😄❄️ But yeah for an inland location S Cheshire is pants for deep snow depths! 😄🤦🏻‍♂️ 

This flow is close to perfect for us

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Storm, Sea, Water, Lightning, Thunderstorm

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

+0.2C with that cloud cover. Was way colder earlier on! It should clear soon though.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

No top up of my tea time sugar coating but Brrrrrrrrrrr it looks cold outside and I doubt a single flake that fell ended up melting.

i don’t think we actually managed a true ice day yesterday with my thermometer recording 0.5c mid afternoon, just before the cloud and a bit of snow moved in but anywhere in the shade from the low sun will have remained icy throughout.

interesting to see ice already starting to form on a local reservoir yesterday and no doubt this scene will become more and more common in the next few days.

Everything crossed for some widespread snow later although I have a nagging feeling based on many years of experience that I will end up an irritating few miles to far north and east to see anything more than a few flakes.

hope I’m wrong though and good luck to anyone more in the firing line.