Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc

Just watched the METO forecast on their YT channel and they stated we'll be in for more snow early tomorrow; their website says the same too

Fingers crossed!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Here in Pemberton had 2 cm of graupel/snow last night. It has melted in the Sun but in the shade surprisingly there is still quite a lot left around the house but lower down towards Wigan it has almost completely gone.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, cheshire snow said:

A few snow showers around Merseyside and cheshire first thing tomorrow morning,this morning was horrendous on the road numerous accidents due to idiots who cannot drive to the conditions a normal 20min school run took an hour.

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Sea, Water, Rainforest, Map, Shoreline, Coast

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Sea, Water, Map, Shoreline, Coast, Rainforest

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Plot, Shoreline, Coast, Map, Peninsula

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Plot, Shoreline, Coast, Peninsula, Map

I don't like the apps generally, however, this signal has been here since yesterday.

Could contain: Text, Number, Symbol

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Heavey Graupel and hail showers at the moment now that wasn't forecast was meant to be sunny all day.

• Like 5

Posted
5 hours ago, captaincroc said:

We had showers most of the evening - according to the radar -  but it was really one big one that gave Crewe/S.Cheshire the covering.  Lasted about 20 mins and pasted it down. Was SO pretty to watch and see the landscape turn that orange tinge.  I'm guessing a lot will melt today but was lovely to see.  The warnings for tonight are more for ice really, I'm not expecting anything else from this spell. Let's see what the next one brings?

I agree. The roads and pavements on the outskirts of Crewe were wet and slippery this morning, and although not freezing yet, I'm not looking forward to my essential journey this evening.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Westerly breeze has mixed out the deep cold  thaw rapidly set in around 10  otherwise a fine day 

• Like 5

Posted
41 minutes ago, Dan B said:

Just watched the METO forecast on their YT channel and they stated we'll be in for more snow early tomorrow; their website says the same too

Fingers crossed!

Slightly colder air coming in tonight so snow risk does increase again, how much precipation will there be is the usual question. I suspect its going to be very hit and miss but some lucky areas could see a few CMs. 

Surprised to read comments that people are surprised at a slow thaw. Ground temperatures are obviously lower than air temperatures so a light covering which gets compacted and say freezes overnight(or if the ground is already frozen)can be quite resistant to melt in shaded areas. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Would i take this....? Yes

animqcr3.gif

• Like 9

Posted

From 30 miles to the north east there's some fascinating tops to those showers passing to the west of Knutsford right now. 

Could contain: Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Shelter, Building, Cumulus, Cloud, Utility Pole, Hut

• Like 5

Posted
29 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Would i take this....? Yes

animqcr3.gif

Fingers crossed.

Two streamers on that......bound to end up inbetween like last night........

• Like 5

Posted

I had a wander out while the skies were clear and from Whaley Moor it's evident to see where last night's snow showers ended up, given the usual places such as Kinder, Bleaklow, Saddleworth barely have any dusting of snow on the summits whilst more towards this way and over the Goyt it's snow galore with 2.5cm underfoot in exposed areas. There's still plenty of Black ice to navigate around on the back-roads of Kettleshulme where the sun barely makes any appearance, but I expect more ice will be forming later on once the temps drop again into tomorrow morning.

Could contain: Scenery, Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Landscape, Rock, Ice, Tundra, Tree, WeatherCould contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Scenery, Tundra, Land, Landscape, Mountain Range, Wilderness, PlateauCould contain: Rock, Scenery, Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Land, Landscape, Peak, Mountain Range, Wilderness

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

The view to my West and the radar

Could contain: Neighborhood, Roof, Housing, Sky, Outdoors, Nature, Shelter, Car, Weather, Suburb

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, White Board, Vegetation, Plant

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
Just now, WillinGlossop said:

Woohoo it’s snowing here ❄️❄️❄️

Have you moved there Will?

• Like 4

Posted
26 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Have you moved there Will?

Been here for two months renting a place… 10 minutes west of Montauban… forecasts models  have been hinting at wintry showers/snow around here since last Thursday… it’s light but big flakes of snow… didn’t think I’d actually see any other than in Pyrenees… ❄️❄️❄️ 

good luck with snow at home tonight and tomorrow 🤞🤞🤞❄️❄️❄️

back in Glossopia on 31st January 

latest forecast has gone crazy for here for tomorrow… don’t think it’ll be that snowy here 

Could contain: Number, Symbol, Text

Could contain: Gemstone, Accessories, Jewelry, Text

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
40 minutes ago, PennineMark said:

From 30 miles to the north east there's some fascinating tops to those showers passing to the west of Knutsford right now. 

Could contain: Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Shelter, Building, Cumulus, Cloud, Utility Pole, Hut

They've produced a few hail showers here.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
22 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

I had a wander out while the skies were clear and from Whaley Moor it's evident to see where last night's snow showers ended up, given the usual places such as Kinder, Bleaklow, Saddleworth barely have any dusting of snow on the summits whilst more towards this way and over the Goyt it's snow galore with 2.5cm underfoot in exposed areas. There's still plenty of Black ice to navigate around on the back-roads of Kettleshulme where the sun barely makes any appearance, but I expect more ice will be forming later on once the temps drop again into tomorrow morning.

Could contain: Scenery, Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Landscape, Rock, Ice, Tundra, Tree, WeatherCould contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Scenery, Tundra, Land, Landscape, Mountain Range, Wilderness, PlateauCould contain: Rock, Scenery, Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Land, Landscape, Peak, Mountain Range, Wilderness

Yeah it was strange snow distribution last night, still bits of snow round here in north facing areas yet but as I looked east on my walk there was no snow at all on places such as Wildbank hill in Stalybridge and Harrop edge overlooking Hyde, both 300m+ 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

I'm gutted you have had snow, though it is a given seeing as I am out of the country until 10th Feb. What are the chances of snow for Feb?  I've been looking at the models but I'm not concentrating. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

It was interesting to see the noticeable difference in daytime snowmelt between places as close as Crewe and Sandbach with slightly greater elevation today. Crewe most snow had melted or was very slushy by early afternoon although back home 5 miles down the road in Sandbach snow was still giving cover & crunchy in parts despite the sleety hail showers that passed through mid afternoon. Chance of seeing some more wintryness tonight early hours into early morning tomorrow if a streamer sets up as forecast. Rush hour tomorrow morning may well be one to watch especially if it coincides with falling snow. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Joe Snow said:

It was interesting to see the noticeable difference in daytime snowmelt between places as close as Crewe and Sandbach with slightly greater elevation today. Crewe most snow had melted or was very slushy by early afternoon although back home 5 miles down the road in Sandbach snow was still giving cover & crunchy in parts despite the sleety hail showers that passed through mid afternoon. Chance of seeing some more wintryness tonight early hours into early morning tomorrow if a streamer sets up as forecast. Rush hour tomorrow morning may well be one to watch especially if it coincides with falling snow. 

I’m convinced there’s something else going on, it melts here even when places closer to the coast and lower in elevation hold on to it.

I think it might have something to do with the fact that there’s a geothermal reservoir directly under the town apparently.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

I’m convinced there’s something else going on, it melts here even when places closer to the coast and lower in elevation hold on to it.

I think it might have something to do with the fact that there’s a geothermal reservoir directly under the town apparently.

That's interesting didn't know that - I always put it down to slightly lower elevation and it being a more urban area but even more rural parts like Leighton & going towards Nantwich had seen almost complete snowmelt by mid afternoon. What do you think about tonight/ early tomorrow morning for us in S Cheshire round 2 or damp squib? 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, Joe Snow said:

That's interesting didn't know that - I always put it down to slightly lower elevation and it being a more urban area but even more rural parts like Leighton & going towards Nantwich had seen almost complete snowmelt by mid afternoon. What do you think about tonight/ early tomorrow morning for us in S Cheshire round 2 or damp squib? 

Yes there’s a suggestion at he moment that Crewe is one location that can be used to harness geothermal energy, amongst a few others in the country.

Put it this way, I’ve seen snow melt here at night when the DP and temperature have both been negative.

As for tonight, it doesn’t look as conducive to my eyes, but I’m prepared to be pleasantly surprised!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

Yes there’s a suggestion at he moment that Crewe is one location that can be used to harness geothermal energy, amongst a few others in the country.

Put it this way, I’ve seen snow melt here at night when the DP and temperature have both been negative.

As for tonight, it doesn’t look as conducive to my eyes, but I’m prepared to be pleasantly surprised!

Looks better for south Cumbria and north Lancs. Damian might finally be happy.

• Like 2