Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Christmas week and beyond

nick sussex
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
12 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

No chance. I'm personally loving this. Very complex and intruiging. Compulsive model viewing and the enjoyment is so much more when we have this fab forum to share and discuss it all. 

Not sure if that's good news or bad news lol. I really don't rate that model. 

It's a fantastic model. Just for tonight it is verifying better than all other models. Watch all the other models fall in line with it tomorrow:) if only!

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Don said:

As I said in the run up to the cold spell, when the outlook is looking poor, it improves if I take a break from model watching, so see ya later!! 😉

That's extreme superstition 😂👍

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow
1 hour ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

If anyone thinks the 18z is not good for cold….take your Xmas day snow/cold glasses off and see what ‘might’ be coming……I think it is

BFTP

Probably a stupid question

but if the p.v is that far away ie over Russia 

surely eventually that has to work it’s way back this way and hopefully develop a stinking easterly for the U.K. 

or am I miles off

Edited by snowbob
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
44 minutes ago, booferking said:

Gfs slowing losing heights run by run early on this time tomorrow it will be inline with rest of models, just can't  be trusted the mean trending the wrong way also.

Welcome to the clown 🤡  show all will be revealed tomorrow in the next episode of gfs the calamity.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Face, Person, Head, Atlas, Diagram

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Graphics, Art

The second frame doesn't make sense, more plausible would be the highs joining, with the low sw. I mean, the low at that stage had already stalled and moved Sw, how does it suddenly wake up and move through the highs 

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms and sunshine

Just look how quickly a north sound battleground set up in 1978. Christmas was wet and mild but gradually day by day the cold nudged south ending up with a channel low and a classic snowstorm across the southern half of the UK. Frigid air as well. Similarities to the set up we have at the moment perhaps?

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
7 minutes ago, Louthweather said:

Just look how quickly a north sound battleground set up in 1978. Christmas was wet and mild but gradually day by day the cold nudged south ending up with a channel low and a classic snowstorm across the southern half of the UK. Frigid air as well. Similarities to the set up we have at the moment perhaps?

FullSizeRender.MOV

Is it just me or is the colder air pushing south there even without the surface flow moving in that direction..?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms and sunshine
4 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

Is it just me or is the colder air pushing south there even without the surface flow moving in that direction..?

Yes. It was a long and slow process over many days and the forecasters didn’t know which way it was going to go re mild or bitter. Slowly the cold gradually nudged south. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
1 hour ago, MJB said:

gfsnh-0-276.png?18

gfsnh-0-294.png?18

Massive potential and can't grumble with these surely?

The great thing about that would be the vortex piling to our northeast which could lock things in... if it occured. There's no forcing over America whatsoever. Needs some tweaks but the Xmas/NY period looks very interesting! Screw Christmas when longer term cold could be at hand.

• Like 1

Posted

Everything is a little further east up to T84 , the storm in the USA, the WAA up into Greenland and the northerly towards the U.K. Hoping this is a good thing 🤞

The cold seems to be coming for the U.K. quicker that’s for sure. 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Everything is a little further east up to T84 , the storm in the USA, the WAA up into Greenland and the northerly towards the U.K. Hoping this is a good thing 🤞

The cold seems to be coming for the U.K. quicker that’s for sure. 

T108, northerly on Xmas eve 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Rainforest, Vegetation, Tree, Plant, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Rainforest, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Person

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Sea, Water

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Ahh, UKMO still vastly diff at T120 🤦🏼‍♂️ Greeny heights so different at such short time frame 

AB3918CA-8001-47D4-BFB5-823CFD2E1200.gif

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Modern Art, Outdoors

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Big improvement this morning Allison.

It’s Alistair but I’ll take this for Xmas day 😂😂

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Person

Better looking UKMO and the Greeny heights are better at T144 which could come in handy later on 

Could contain: Outdoors, Art

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 6

Posted

Back to sleep I think, the GEM and GFS don’t really scream merry Xmas to me this morning!! Possibly the GFS might be better towards new year but no support on the Greeny high this morning neither 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
14 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

It’s Alistair but I’ll take this for Xmas day 😂😂

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Person

Morning Allison 

do you have a link to these charts please ? 

Edited by Georgina
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Georgina said:

Morning Allison 

do you have a link to these charts please ? 

Think shes gone offline - heres a link

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Météociel propose le modèle GFS à maille moyenne (0.25 degrés) jusqu'à 240h. Cartes de prévision des précipitations, des orages, de la neige, du vent, des températures à tous les...

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GEM looking like yesterdays GFS in FI synoptic, shame the GFS 00z doesn't repeat the cold but an Icelandic shortwave spoiler does for it which might not be there next run

gemnh-0-216.pnggfsnh-0-186.png?18

GFS may well get there in the end but making a real meal of it. French accent, "Three days later..."

gfsnh-0-234.png

shortwave hell, it never ends.

gfsnh-0-246.png

Then again set up one of these trains running into cold air and we get a snow fest. (yeah I know) 

Still an outside chance of snow on Xmas day but otherwise little cold about in the run up to the New Year on this mornings output.

Beyond that we will have to hope GFS and now GEM are on to something with retaining some Atlantic heights and forming an Iceland/Greenland high but UKMO doesn't look like it is interested. (Yet)

ukmonh-0-156.png

That looks like our last shot at cold this year.

Edited by Mucka
  • Insightful 1