Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Christmas week and beyond

nick sussex
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow
Just now, prolongedSnowLover said:

The best places for Xmas day look to be Norway and Iceland with plenty of snowfall or lying snow there!

Game over for the UK by the looks of the trends.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Map, Art

That’s a brave call with the way the models are behaving

could go anyway at the minute

not a done deal yet

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

The thing about week 6 is that the ec46 rarely churns out a week six chart very far away from climatology. 

Mid lat sceuro high 

Indeed, that's exactly what struck me. Very unusual to have such a strong signal at 5 and 6 weeks out. Might be something, might be nothing. If it does verify or something near it (it's a long old countdown!!!), then bravo EC46!

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Cold Winter Night said:

I don't know what is behind the GFS amplification signal, but the EC46 regime chart actually shows more support for Scandi heighst than for Greenland Blocks or Atlantic ridges.

Do you think the ec46 might see an SSW happening which causes a Scandi high? A lot of the background signals were pointing to a zonal January. Was glosea not calling for a mild January  too? Or could it be that rare occasion met luver spoke about of a Scandi High despite the Vortex over Greenland? 

Edited by Bricriu
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
37 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

That potentially historic/but definitely  very notable Nor’easter.  Very influential imo

BFTP

Well, yes, Fred, it could be 'historic'... But it might just as easily be a damp squib?

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

I think it's going to be entertaining / funny watching the GFS come in. Anticipating a big climbdown with a mild christmas... but if it sticks to its guns we will be going into our most split model output since January 2013.

It has delayed any cold over the christmas period though!

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Cold Winter Night said:

I don't know what is behind the GFS amplification signal, but the EC46 regime chart actually shows more support for Scandi heights than for Greenland Blocks or Atlantic ridges.

The greeny ridge on gfs is very much a near term feature as opposed to the ec46 which is a mid to long range tool.  ec46 shows potential blocking both nw and ne. We were musing the other day if this update would be the first for weeks without northern blocking 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
2 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

The best places for Xmas day look to be Norway and Iceland with plenty of snowfall or lying snow there!

Game over for the whole of the UK ?

MetO beg to differ . . . for now.

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Bricriu said:

Do you think the ec46 might see an SSW happening which causes a Scandi high? A lot of the background signals were pointing to a zonal January. Was glosea not calling for a mild January  too? Or could it be that rare occasion met luver spoke about of a Scandi High despite the Vortex over Greenland? 

The ec46 zonal wind chart has already been posted 

there is no ssw 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
Just now, Kasim Awan said:

ECM mean for boxing day. ❄

EDM0-168 (1).gif

Yep, decent. I notice there are many more cold ecm members than the op just post Christmas day for debilt. That means a cold  (and possibly snowy) Christmas day cannot be ruled out in the UK as it would hit here before Holland. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Well, yes, Fred, it could be 'historic'... But it might just as easily be a damp squib?

HI Pete, true/very true…..but Nope imo, it’s looking ‘at minimum’ very notable….I think this is a historic event….as in it stacks up against last 5 decades 

BFTP

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

2 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Yep, decent. I notice there are many more cold ecm members than the op just post Christmas day for debilt. That means a cold  (and possibly snowy) Christmas day cannot be ruled out in the UK as it would hit here before Holland. 

Increasing support today for a post xmas cold push. 

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 6

Posted

Evening all 🙂

As an aside and it may be no significance at all but I do like t follow the 10 HPA charts and the zonal winds.

Most years, the "attacks" on the PV have come from the Siberian side and what they tend to do is knock the core of the PV back over to the Canadian/North American side firing up the jet and putting us back into the Atlantic dominated westerly regime.

By the way, I think that's what did for our recent cold spell.

The odd thing this winter so far the bulk of the warmer 10 HPA temperatures are on the North American and European side and, as you might expect, this has the effect of sending the core of the PV back over to Siberia enabling our Greenland HP

Tonight's 12Z GFS OP (hideous outlier as it no doubt is) illustrates this and what it also shows is, contrary to the normal pattern, the strongest zonal wind pattern is over the Siberian/Eurasian side - the storms are there while under the lighter zonal winds, the Greenland HP is able to survive and occasionally exert its influence leaving the Atlantic its less than zonal stuff and keeping the real storms well away.

Just an observation, may mean nothing.

• Insightful 8

Posted

Someone mentioned not many examples of a clash between polar and tropical maritime air of such depth in the run up to christmas. Two years spring to mind, showing the extremes, 1995 - after a lenghty cold period with high pressure and some snow, we lost the cold air around this same time, and a clash took place, mild air moved in briefly around 21-22 and then the cold came back with resurgence, heights to the NW.. 

Last year the other example, again heights to the NW but an extreme negative west based NAO, there was an attempt to pull in cold air Christmas Eve, but by Boxing Day it failed and instead the SW blowtorch took hold.

Not saying either of these situations will verify this year, but interesting to view the synoptics of both years to see what can happen. We are probably in the middle of both extremes, which makes this year exceptionally hard to call for christmas weekend.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 3

Posted
Just now, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

HI Pete, true/very true…..but Nope imo, it’s looking ‘at minimum’ very notable….I think this is a historic event….as in it stacks up against last 5 decades 

BFTP

We'll see, Fred... I don't know!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
1 minute ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Well that’s standard or familiar patterns that’s a thing that we all know…Norway YES, Norwich No…Iceland for sure, Inverness yes maybe…🤔

Probably or more historically that’s the usual thing that’s us with the regular hope that we strive or struggle with…but “game over” is not a thing that’s done and dusted… not just yet !

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

BFTP

Well, I do hope it's notable, Fred... But my cat tells me otherwise!😼

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
6 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Well, I do hope it's notable, Fred... But my cat tells me otherwise!😼

It is going to be surely - you can't tell me that -28c uppers practically into the deep south of America isn't notable?/

• Like 5

Posted

If I remember correctly.

and I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong,

wasn’t this the other way round last year 

ecm was modelled to give us some cold for after Xmas and gfs was having none of it.

I seem to remember as I had my mum last year for Xmas and was worried about getting her to my sisters on 27th

maybe I’ve jumbled a year or two

But I’m sure this was the case

if I am corect ecm failed big time

just saying could be failing now to

Edited by snowbob
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
5 minutes ago, snowbob said:

If I remember correctly.

and I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong,

wasn’t this the other way round last year 

ecm was modelled to give us some cold for after Xmas and gfs was having none of it.

I seem to remember as I had my mum last year for Xmas and was worried about getting her to my sisters on 27th

maybe I’ve jumbled a year or two

But I’m sure this was the case

if I am corect ecm failed big time

just saying could be failing now to

Defo pointing that way around 7 to 10 days before Xmas last year …..but can’t remember who was first to sniff out the eventual outcome …..

• Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, goosey007 said:

Defo pointing that way around 7 to 10 days before Xmas last year …..but can’t remember who was first to sniff out the eventual outcome …..

No same but I do remember this same situation 

not as complicated just more a garden path sort of thing

this year way more going on in terms of model confusion 

Posted

What will Christmas Day bring?

This is the big question and recent output suggests we are likely to be very much in a battleground scenario between mild sub tropical or central N Atlantic air and cold Arctic air to the north trying to get in and where they meet it's going to be fun and games for white Christmas chasers

GFS 12z

Using the GFS 12z and its ensembles as an example we have the extreme range on 850hpa temps from this:

The mildest outcome     P16     Scunthorpe 850hpa temp = +0.8C

Could contain: Plot, Chart, MapCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Plot, Chart, Outdoors

To this:

The coldest outcome     P20     Scunthorpe 850hpa temp = -11.7C

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, OutdoorsCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Plot, Chart, Outdoors

Basically the path of the trough here varies from the most northerly path in P16 where it passes over Scotland with only Shetland really in the colder air and the rest of the UK very much in the boring mild Christmas territory wondering what could have been if things turned out differently.

Then we have the other extreme in P20 when the trough passes so far south that it is a barely noticeable feature in southern France. This leaves the whole UK in the colder air and those of us away from the north also wondering what could have been due to the trough tracking so far south of us we miss out on any potential snow event. Those of us on exposed coastlines and in northern Scotland would still do well out of this for snow at least but the majority over England and Wales would be dry and cold under that ridge.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Modern Art, ArtCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature

The 850hpa mean and anomaly for the same time frame as both the P16 and P20 runs shows that colder 850hpa temps are favoured but where the mean boundary between the mild and the cold is is yet to be decided. The 500hpa chart would suggest northern England is the boundary.

Will this correct south or north or will it get watered down and removed completely?

Corrected south years

This is the big question and which way will it go. Most previous examples of these sorts of setups usually see things get corrected southwards as the time approaches until the potential snow event ends up so far south that we all basically miss out. The perfect examples I can think of where potential Christmas battle zones and possible snow events that corrected south in the end were 1995 and 2000.

I remember the build up to 1995 and how mild air was trying to push north in the few days before Christmas and I do believe there was a snow event a few days before Christmas as the mild air tried to push in. I could imagine the nightmare on here if a repeat of the 1995 situation were to happen again and based on recent output are we about to see another repeat where we have a will it or won't it turn cold for Christmas and beyond. In some ways it looks like a repeat of 1962 where the severe cold was due to push in from the east and imagine how the model output would have been handling that. Another possible candidate for the current situation is 1978 where low pressure was pushing in from the Atlantic combining with increasing northern blocking until the jet stream pushed far enough south that the cold air came in.

The other main year with this kind of situation leading up to Christmas was 2000. I remember this one a bit more and how heights were building over Greenland in the days before Christmas and the trough and jet stream were getting pushed further to the south. The big one was where the band of rain and potential snow was going to be on Christmas Day. As it turned out Christmas Eve was the wet day for most of England and Wales and Christmas Day ended up with the fronts off the south coast and the whole UK in the cold air with scattered snow showers.

Corrected north or removed

Of course there was last Christmas when things were looking so promising then at the last minute the cold spell was first watered down and shortened significantly before it was then finally removed completely with only a glancing blow from the cold into the north before we then reverted to the usual mild muck before we went on to produced the warmest New Years Day on record and the warmest start to any year on the CET record with a mean January 1st CET of 12.7C, well clear of 2nd position, 1916 at 10.5C.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 5