Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Christmas week and beyond

nick sussex
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
36 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Yes it can...we've seen it in the past. It can happen very very quickly once the strat and trop couple, for example.

bloody annoying that we can’t see the ecm cross section any longer …

the gfs runs are still showing that increase in zonal flow making it down towards  1000hpa but it does then start to bounce back upwards 

And the extended clusters aren’t without amplification….

Could contain: Comics, Book, Publication, Person

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
13 minutes ago, goosey007 said:

Jan 1984?

Just looked this up - wow, that is a brutal angle of attack.

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?day=8&month=1&hour=0&year=1984&map=2&region=nh&mode=2&type=era

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art, Outdoors, Accessories

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
6 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

We have to take into account that the past few weeks have seen a lot of cold air sat around our shores and also flooding into the N Atlantic. Any PM flow is likely to be less moderated than usual now.

Possibly, but by their very nature, cold zonality set ups tend to be transient and are often marginal for those areas that do see snow. High ground is the exception obviously. I’m guessing the Scottish highlands get most of their snow from polar maritime sourced airmasses.

Edited by danm
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
2 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

Delivered big snow in south wales and many other areas that’s why i know that particular month year ….

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Just a short post for now:

Alright so, I've noted an Atmospheric River a lot today but what can it's effects be. Let's have a look at a fairly major one in California last year:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Vegetation, Plant, Rainforest, Outdoors, Tree, Nature, Land

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Vegetation, Plant

Ours won't nearly be as strong as that but if we can get the cold strong enough for around Christmas time and the back edge of the AR can time itself with that we could find somewhere with a near Christmas (or maybe on Christmas) decent snowfall. Our AR hasn't gotten that much vertically integrated water transporting with it but that doesn't mean it can't bring a fair amount of precipitation with it and the back edge of these AR's tend to be colder so if we can time it will we may potentially see a lot of snowfall somewhere but surely nowhere near as much as the one last December. So, I'll keep monitoring the AR and you can monitor how the cold moves 👍.

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
1 minute ago, Eagle Eye said:

So, I'll keep monitoring the AR and you can monitor how the cold moves 👍.

Deal!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
2 minutes ago, Cold Winter Night said:

I'm actually surprised to see that EC46 keeps the heights to our North alive deep into January.

Week 2

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Person, Outdoors, Nature, Face, Head

Week 3

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Week 4

Could contain: Modern Art, Art

Week 5

Could contain: Person, Outdoors

Week 6 (!!!)

Well at least the blocking signal is still there . Weeks 5 and  6 is nuts 👍

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Cold Winter Night said:

I'm actually surprised to see that EC46 keeps the heights to our North alive deep into January.

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Week 5 is good.  The countdown is on!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Good news - EC46 shows possible scandi high anomalies

Bad news - in the 2nd half of January so unlikely to verify

Jan 23rd - 30th

Strong old signal at that range! But it's screaming cold and snow and a classic

Next week could still go either way with strong anomalies to the west and NW but also to our SE. I'm guessing the SE heights will win because a high anomaly there - when pressure is usually relatively high (compared to Greenland) - must be pretty powerful

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, Cold Winter Night said:

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Yes, its hard to reconcile that with the Trop and strat Vortex connecting. If i may ask a question,  are we seeing such eye candy output on the GFS because of what it thinks will happen with the MJO. Is it overreacting to that signal hence heights rising to Greenland? I am not a praying man, but if the the GFS turns out to be correct , i will get down on my knees and worship it. Seriously though if it has got this wrong it's going to get some flak from everyone.

Edited by Bricriu
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, chicken soup said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣 love your posts...though God help.anyone new who comes across one.

It took me a few weeks to learn how to read them, but it was worth it!

• Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, Cold Winter Night said:

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Week 6 (!!!)

Could this mean ecm is spotting a SSW? I wonder. Interesting that the met are also seeing greater chances than usual of cold episodes deep into January. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Polar lows are the dream

Well what a spell of model watching this has been...I don't about you guys but when the stakes are this high and the uncertainty is this great, I find the model watching very compelling. There are still massive differences between the Big 3's 12Z runs regarding the shape, structure and centre of the lows around the UK at T+72, weirdly agreement is almost better at T+96, but even then notable discrepancies persist.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, ArtCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors

The point is we still don't know how things are going to pan out later on this week and, I'm afraid, trying to pin one's hat on anything at the moment, whether that's ensemble trends or operational run's consistency, is likely to give an unjustified sense of confidence, esp. for the period after Christmas.

The good news is that cold weather still very much has a seat at the table. At least in the North. The bad news is that things are far from nailed on. You know the drill...more runs needed and let's pray for the result us coldies deserve.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Stravaiger said:

Well what a spell of model watching this has been...I don't about you guys but when the stakes are this high and the uncertainty is this great, I find the model watching very compelling. There are still massive differences between the Big 3's 12Z runs regarding the shape, structure and centre of the lows around the UK at T+72, weirdly agreement is almost better at T+96, but even then notable discrepancies persist.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, ArtCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors

The point is we still don't know how things are going to pan out later on this week and, I'm afraid, trying to pin one's hat on anything at the moment, whether that's ensemble trends or operational run's consistency, is likely to give an unjustified sense of confidence, esp. for the period after Christmas.

The good news is that cold weather still very much has a seat at the table. At least in the North. The bad news is that things are far from nailed on. You know the drill...more runs needed and let's pray for the result us coldies deserve.

Very true - big differences between models in just a few days. Big uncertainty. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
2 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

@Cold Winter Night have you got the zonal wind speed graph please ? Cheers 

Could contain: Plot, Chart

CHARTS.ECMWF.INT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
9 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

Yes, its hard to reconcile that with the Trop and strat Vortex connecting. If i may ask a question,  are we seeing such eye candy output on the GFS because of what it thinks will happen with the MJO. Is it overreacting to that signal hence heights rising to Greenland? I am not a praying man, but if the the GFS turns out to be correct , i will get down on my knees and worship it. Seriously though if it has got this wrong it's going to get some flak from everyone.

I don't know what is behind the GFS amplification signal, but the EC46 regime chart actually shows more support for Scandi heights than for Greenland Blocks or Atlantic ridges.

Edited by Cold Winter Night
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
1 minute ago, LRD said:

Another representation of week 6 on EC46

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, White Board

The thing about week 6 is that the ec46 rarely churns out a week six chart very far away from climatology. 

Just now, blizzard81 said:

Control looks cold on ecm 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Gate

Mid lat sceuro high 

• Thanks 1
  • Insightful 3