Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Christmas week and beyond

nick sussex
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
1 minute ago, Mucka said:

ECM rubber stamping a rough day for cold weather fans.

Starting look difficult to see cold and snow to low levels in England for the big day on that basis but lets be honest there is still plenty of variability and scope for change for the better in the output, it just needs to happen soon

And!

There is always the pub run!

Let's hope tomorrow sees the cold return and UKMO give us some hope as we are running out of time now.

Agreed.

GFS aside not a good evening.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Agreed.

GFS aside not a good evening.

I would disagree. I’m talking past Christmas but gfs continues with heights nw ecm has made a small step in that direction and met seem to be favouring a return to cold. All opinions of course. 😄👍 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Just now, That ECM said:

I would disagree. I’m talking past Christmas but gfs continues with heights nw ecm has made a small step in that direction and met seem to be favouring a return to cold. All opinions of course. 😄👍 

Definitely a tendency for northerly attempts it needs to be clear that big flashy synoptics are not needed this time of year

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Definitely a tendency for northerly attempts it needs to be clear that big flashy synoptics are not needed this time of year

I think even high peak would struggle to get much settling snow with these Synoptics wouldn’t it? 

A0447333-CFBE-4F6B-93D4-D61AB40D9A05.gif

• Like 1

Posted

Would a decent forecast be by blending the todays models as I see currently ~ white Christmas Day chances trending north then for next week a settled and chilly week for most as uk high settles upon us.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

ECM 240

Aside from some half-hearted attempts to ridge into Scandinavia, this wouldn't look out of place in many of the rank, mild winters we've had this last decade or so

Could contain: Plot, Chart

This is far from sorted, however, aside from the Met Office update and two GFS ops, it's been a 'meh' day

Unfortunately, Christmas cold and even a little bit of snow now looks off the menu for my area for yet another year. Ho hum

Edited by LRD
  • Like 4

Posted
Just now, Kasim Awan said:

Pretty sure the ECM would give me atleast 10cm.

Wow ok. Keep me posted on that as I’m looking at where to book for a week from 26th. I guess it’s that time of year where we don’t need amazing Synoptics for the places like the peak district to get snow 👍🏻

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

states the notion.. separation of the lows is now pinpoint for advancement!.. getting “binocular sync “- dictates the forward of rolling the Iberian orange arm to pastry.. and the commence of heights allowance into the mid latitudes b4 we could become struggling with Jetstream placement! Anyway whichever way your bid ya head- we are slowly getting jigsaw management!! .. but .. we need to look 👀 for the pieces in the kitchen draw... and put them together... !!! 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

ECM D10 is JFF but hopefully we are not heading in that direction, as D10 on the 12z flattens the NH profile and offers little short term blocking:

Could contain: Accessories, Graphics, Art, Outdoors

Thankfully we have yet to resolve the Atlantic lows at D5 yet, so not really a concern ATM. It has been clear for a while that models struggle with setups like the upcoming lows interaction and for the UK they have dramatic impact on what follows. My rule of thumb for GFS is three runs of the same then we can take it seriously. So the 18z is BIG tonight for my POV. 

No one knows what will be the outcome when the music stops, and the 2m temps for London highlight how D6-16 could play out for us down in the south:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Line Chart

Cold or mild and anything in between!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, tight isobar said:

states the notion.. separation of the lows is now pinpoint for advancement!.. getting “binocular sync “- dictates the forward of rolling the Iberian orange arm to pastry.. and the commence of heights allowance into the mid latitudes b4 we could become struggling with Jetstream placement! Anyway whichever way your bid ya head- we are slowly getting jigsaw management!! .. but .. we need to look 👀 for the pieces in the kitchen draw... and put them together... !!! 

I think that just about sums it up.👍

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

The ecm intrigue continues- it’s finds a way.. not to .. “ find a way through probable evolution “.. And it’s upper air overheads- are bordering abysmal!.. dynamics against the 12z op.. just don’t make much sense!!

BD4961C5-7545-4719-9C23-C059202886C3.gif

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
10 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

EC NH plot day 1

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Graphics, Plot, Chart, Outdoors

day 10

can the NEG AO really collapse thst quickly ?

Yes it can...we've seen it in the past. It can happen very very quickly once the strat and trop couple, for example.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

UKMO extended seems to want to go tropical as does ICON GFS on its own at the moment. However, Met Office think it will be Mid -week before getting resolved . Time running out ! Big call from GFS  if it times the next cold spell correct !

C

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

ECM showing a fairly mild Christmas Day in the offering. So the main models continue to show a wide spread in outcomes for the Festive Period across Blighty , ranging from Cold/Mild/ Average.  Take your pick ! Think it will be Wednesday at the earliest before the forecast becomes more resolved.

C

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Person, Atlas, Diagram, Vegetation, Plant, Outdoors

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, IDO said:

ECM D10 is JFF but hopefully we are not heading in that direction, as D10 on the 12z flattens the NH profile and offers little short term blocking:

Thankfully we have yet to resolve the Atlantic lows at D5 yet, so not really a concern ATM. It has been clear for a while that models struggle with setups like the upcoming lows interaction and for the UK they have dramatic impact on what follows. My rule of thumb for GFS is three runs of the same then we can take it seriously. So the 18z is BIG tonight for my POV. 

No one knows what will be the outcome when the music stops, and the 2m temps for London highlight how D6-16 could play out for us down in the south:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Line Chart

Cold or mild and anything in between!

I think you need to reevaluate what is JFF that chart has sent @northwestsnowinto hiding like a scary movie.

but you are indeed correct everything and anything is on offer days 6-16 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Yes it can...we've seen it in the past. It can happen very very quickly once the strat and trop couple, for example.

The Euro heights are killing so much potential.

Posted

An observation but possibly not true, but always thought GFS better with developments to the NW - any signal for height rises, ECM better with euro/scandi highs - I suspect even stevens between the two at present which will verify, but they are wildly different and its rare to see such a difference. Can't remember if it was the ECM or GFS that last week showed low pressure blowing itself up and north, think it was ECM, it got that completely wrong... is it struggling at present?

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

It's how the dice have landed. I think we can blame the fall in AAM that occurred as we entered the cold spell...it provided an opportunity for the jet to get a look in and all of the shenanigans with the Azores storm. It was essentially rotten luck as we were on the cusp of locking in to an extended period of severe winter weather which would have seen us well into January (and possibly beyond). We needed all of another week or so to set us in to a feedback pattern whereby the amplified state of proceedings would have ensured there'd have been no coming back for the strat in the longer term.

Que sera. We've been desperately unlucky as ever.

We're now in a situation where the pressure on the SPV has been eased and we're staring down the barrel of an extended period of zonal crud rather than severe cold.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

12 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Thank climate change and Hadley cell expansion. Read this article with the knowledge that the Hadley cell is a direct modulator of the Azores high. Gives an insight into how climate change reduces our cold chances, by pushing the average latitude of the jet stream further north. This means that cold air to the north of the jet stream will not make it south as often as prior to the expansion. It also means that there could be more "failed" cold spells as modelling struggles to integrate how this change impacts jet stream behaviour in the north atlantic - specifically by underplaying the effect the Azores has on synoptics in the mid range.

dust-clouds-sahara-desert-international-
EOS.ORG

As a major atmospheric circulation system spreads farther poleward, some regions are drying out. But as time passes, will this drying be symmetrical across the globe?

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 5

Posted

An underwhelming ECM op run.

There are opportunities for improvement however  . The day 5 into 6 looks dubious , low heights feed the low but with no deepening, it weakens by 5mb day 6 but the low almost heads north.

The low is then so far north and it’s a struggle from there . And then it blows up a shortwave on the western flank of the limpet low .

Even if you take this run at face value further down the line some trough disruption could cut the high off .

I’m placing the ECM op into the Suspicious Synoptic Evolution section .

Overall there’s huge uncertainty for the festive period.

More runs needed !

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1