Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Christmas week and beyond

nick sussex
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
4 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

ECM op is towards the top for Xmas day, but the spread is narrowing, not many make it to -5 at 850 now.

Mogreps still give some hope, but you feel the tide is turning against snow for Xmas.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Smoke Pipe

Yeah the trend dosent appear to be our friend now gfs basically on its own ….be a miracle if it’s right now ….certainly for Xmas period ….but 27th onwards still to play for IMO…..wait matts mogreps post adds to the uncertainty 🙈can’t take much more of this 😬🤪

Edited by goosey007
  • Like 3

Posted

Evening all,Lot’s and Lot’s of uncertainty from the chart’s this evening even in the Christmas period,it all comes down once again to that Greenland high does it intensify and push west which in turn  brings back winter with a vengeance to all of the U.K. lot’s going on and as Alex Deackon stated from the Met Office an intense Low pressure over the USA could increase the possibility of the Greenland high intensifying.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, prolongedSnowLover said:

Disappointing snow row on the 12z ensembles compared to previous two  with more members going for mild options post Xmas.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Line Chart

The whole hemispheric pattern is about to flatten out. Multiple longer range NWP tools are suggestive of this and people like Met4cast have given us an insight into models such as GLOSEA. I just don't see where any future amplification is coming from over the next few weeks.

Anything else is just wishing and hoping, but I do retain some optimism that we can see a Scandi HP take hold...we can get this even with a powerful tpv lobe to the NW but it's going to require rolling a double 6 and then some.

• Like 7

Just now, CreweCold said:

The whole hemispheric pattern is about to flatten out. Multiple longer range NWP tools are suggestive of this and people like Met4cast have given us an insight into models such as GLOSEA. I just don't see where any future amplification is coming from over the next few weeks.

Anything else is just wishing and hoping, but I do retain some optimism that we can see a Scandi HP take hold...we can get this even with a powerful tpv lobe to the NW but it's going to require rolling a double 6 and then some.

Cold zonality

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
4 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Cat amongst the pigeons time here. 

Even London has now a cluster heading towards -10. This is very much alive...

Watch this space!

It's a big menu and cold and snow are most definitely on it.

From the 27th there looks to be 2 clusters, like on the GFS ensembles

This feels like it's developing/trending into an all or nothing situation. Next week will either be very cold or very mild it seems to me. No halfway house. Could be wrong and it could be that's exactly what we end up with. I'm sensing not, though

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Kasim Awan said:

Cold zonality

It's a possibility for sure and not something I'd turn my nose up at. However if we're to get that we cannot afford such interference from European heights...they will need to be supressed.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather
6 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Cat amongst the pigeons time here. 

Even London has now a cluster heading towards -10. This is very much alive...

Watch this space!

It's a big menu and cold and snow are most definitely on it.

I'LL PUT MY ORDER IN SNOOOOW ! Plus pigs in blankets with Stella cheers all .

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
Just now, CreweCold said:

It's a possibility for sure and not something I'd turn my nose up at. However if we're to get that we cannot afford such interference from European heights...they will need to be supressed.

Jan 1984?

2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Again euro heights always a nagging issue as per my earlier post.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
26 minutes ago, carinthian said:

ECM showing a fairly mild Christmas Day in the offering. So the main models continue to show a wide spread in outcomes for the Festive Period across Blighty , ranging from Cold/Mild/ Average.  Take your pick ! Think it will be Wednesday at the earliest before the forecast becomes more resolved.

C

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Person, Atlas, Diagram, Vegetation, Plant, Outdoors

Thanks for all Updates C….I agree, Wednesday at the earliest….if not Friday! 😲

BFTP

• Like 3

If these Fellas can get a Man on the Moon, I'm pretty sure they can get a Snowman in Blighty on Xmas Day!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water One small step for Man , one giant leap for Snowman kind!☃️

Posted
1 minute ago, goosey007 said:

Jan 1984?

Well in some ways it'll serve us better to go full on raging zonal with the tpv close to our N or NW rather than sitting in no-mans land with a strong euro HP and unsettled conditions focussed on the NW of the UK. Going full on zonal would at least ensure that we're in the raffle for shots of cold polar maritime air and lower thicknesses from time to time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Cold zonality

Useless for my location, CZ is only good for high areas, mainly over 300m asl

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Could contain: Chart, Line Chart

Uninspiring ECM ensembles. Op right at the top for the 23rd to the 25th but not much to get excited about here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
3 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Which is not going to deliver for most of lowland Southern England.  I’d rather have a benign Bartlett and 15C.

Just now, Wold Topper said:

Not everyone lives in Southern England 🤷‍♂️👍

Cold zonality isn’t just a fail for southern England, it often fails to deliver much to lowland areas further north too, except perhaps some transient snowfall. Jan ‘84 was an extreme version of cold zonality that did deliver for many further north and west, but that isn’t a common set up either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, danm said:

Cold zonality isn’t just a fail for southern England, it often fails to deliver much to lowland areas further north too, except perhaps some transient snowfall. Jan ‘84 was an extreme version of cold zonality that did deliver for many further north and west, but that isn’t a common set up either. 

We have to take into account that the past few weeks have seen a lot of cold air sat around our shores and also flooding into the N Atlantic. Any PM flow is likely to be less moderated than usual now.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
9 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Well downturn in the models (weo gfs) re cold prospects...still this met office video interesting viewing with battles, monster US storm and of course uncertainty in the mix..

That potentially historic/but definitely  very notable Nor’easter.  Very influential imo

BFTP

• Like 8

Posted
2 minutes ago, LRD said:

Could contain: Chart, Line Chart

Uninspiring ECM ensembles. Op right at the top for the 23rd to the 25th but not much to get excited about here

The day 10 mean is pretty ominous.  Let’s hope we can scrape a decent cluster in FI.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.
9 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Well downturn in the models (weo gfs) re cold prospects...still this met office video interesting viewing with battles, monster US storm and of course uncertainty in the mix..

It’s worth listening to. Always educational 

• Like 2