Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Christmas week and beyond

nick sussex
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

I’m going to start from the worse case scenario of the UKMO which means the only way is up ! It’s not been interested and has been horribly consistent. It’s day 7 does deliver a slither of hope , shame it blows up that low .

The GEM I’ve never rated and its huge change over Greenland between runs means it’s going into the cat litter tray .

The GFS is the horrible creature in the Poltergeist closet pretending to be Carol Anne’s friend  . As the mother  says in the film at one point , “don’t go into the light, stop where you are  “ ! ( One of my favourite horror  films although I hate that clown ).

The GFS seems to be determined to find a way to deliver and be popular in here . 

Don’t go into the light until that’s safe and other models are there to guide you home !

Ukmo was isolated and not v good for this week for quite a few runs 

I don’t think any model can be relied upon at the moment 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Need the lows incoming at day 4 onwards to get a move on ,absolutely dont want them stalling to our west ,ala UKMO.

That just inflates the Euro trash High.( from hell).

• Like 4

Posted

Either the 06z or 12z GFS will do thank you weather gods , I’m not fussy 🙏 One thing they both have in common in FI is the PV is shoved well to the East allowing lots of potential into January 👌

Could contain: Art, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted

The GFS Control says yes to its sibling's Griceland heights. The intrigue continues. It must be said that if GFS has this one then it's one of its better winter performances for sure - which, together with its summer accomplishments, would be noteworthy indeed! 

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Outdoors, Modern Art, Pattern, Nature

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
6 minutes ago, ITSY said:

The GFS Control says yes to its sibling's Griceland heights. The intrigue continues. It must be said that if GFS has this one then it's one of its better winter performances for sure - which, together with its summer accomplishments, would be noteworthy indeed! 

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Outdoors, Modern Art, Pattern, Nature

Yes if GFS pulls this off i think we will have a new King anoited in this Forum at least !  But if it comes up short not sure many will forgive it and be banised to the cannon fodder models land a la navgem......the stakes are high!!!

Edited by goosey007
  • Like 2

Posted

That looks like a great mean at T192 - what a great GFS op too - im late to the party 

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Pattern, Outdoors, Nature, Accessories

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
1 minute ago, ITSY said:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Sea, Water

This is essentially the conundrum.

The left of this frame is an emerging signal for an Icelandic block across the latest GEFS suite. This would *ordinarily* be associated with much colder weather.

The right of this frame is a clear signal for strong heights across the European mainland across the same suite. This ordinary would bring warmer/mild southerlies and SWlies.

What we're left with is a standoff involving mean North/North Easterly signals for the northern third of the country, and mean southerly signals for the southern third of the country. In between this - the middle third of the British isles - is the golden zone for boundary/frontal snowfall. 

For the short-term (aka Xmas-NY period), the question is simply which of these two blocks wins out. We need the low pressure off Iberia/Biscay to travel into and trigger lower heights into Europe if we're to bring the cold boundary south. Alternatively we need a trigger low in the North Sea to do the same thing. 

It's a really interesting setup though and not one I've seen played out before! 

As @MattH said last night, this is an airmass clash, but likewise - I haven't seen a fight quite like this before!! 

Whilst the EC will be important, I'm not expecting a resolution for a while. I'm happy to be proven wrong however. In either a cold or mild way. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

The latest met update and net weather monthly very encouraging! BBC are stalling their latest monthly. Makes sense given the difficulties the models are facing! Do feel the models are moving to a cold spell (yes, not just a snap)! Dec could well end up with an average in the 2's or dare I say it maybe even the 1,s! Am loving every minute!🤞

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
15 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

That looks like a great mean at T192 - what a great GFS op too - im late to the party 

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Pattern, Outdoors, Nature, Accessories

That looks better than the 850s graph. GFS ens up to the 27th

Could contain: Chart

The mean is nowhere near as good as for the same day on the 6z. Don't mean to be a mood hoover as this place is great when cold is on the cards in the winter. I hope the op is right but this has thrown a bit of a spanner in the works

It's really 50-50. Either the GH wins or the Euro High wins. Doesn't seem to be much middle ground. I have a feeling that either tomorrow or Wednesday will see a big swing to either mild or cold

UKMO hasn't been great for a few runs and the MOGREPS ensembles look good north of B'ham but not so much south of the 2nd city. Cause for optimism but not too much confidence

The big positive is the Met Office update

Edited by LRD
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

A bit like a scandi high, a med high, a greenland high and an icelandic high...

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Sea, Outdoors, Nature, Water, Bird, Animal, Map

• Like 2

Posted

Gfs is a dream run for most of scotland.

If only these lows were 100/200 miles further south from 23rd.

I guess northern england got lucky with this set-up a couple years ago (An 8" fall and 10" fall of snow) so can't complain..  

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

UKMO extended seems to want to go tropical as does ICON GFS on its own at the moment. However, Met Office think it will be Mid -week before getting resolved . Time running out ! Big call from GFS  if it times the next cold spell correct !

C

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Well, i have to say...jff...thats some northerly ..

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

..just look at the source...

However as to evidence how tricky this setup is going forward..the gfes 12z are all over the place after christmas day..

Could contain: Chart

op on a sine wave fall while many ens going the other way...

I would think the core of the nwp computers will need extra cooling at this rate....

• Like 6