Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - New Year and Beyond

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
36 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

It might do, but theres no sign of anything here...

Could contain: Plot, Chart

I think he's talking about a trop response from the displacement that has just occurred, not future SSW potential.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
16 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I think he's talking about a trop response from the displacement that has just occurred, not future SSW potential.

Fair play 🙂

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Later in week 2 on GFS 06z shows the displaced spv away from the pole hence the forecasted rise in the 10hPa temperatures then.

The spv still shows it's intact over the Atlantic side but somewhat weaker.

Modeling at 500hPa won't really show any effects yet as it is only now showing this polar displacement at the extended range.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
25 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

No comments on the 12z so far , so I will break the silence in here with a small observation. 

GFS, UKMO and Gem at 144 hrs . GFS and Gem have high pressure in control but the UKMO less so with it quite windy for many especially the further north you go .

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

18F4AC84-9693-42BC-9BBE-E19A06F6DF9B.gif

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Hurricane, Storm

Ukmo just a bit slower getting there?

Could contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature, Art

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, MattH said:

guess it is that point in the winter though, desperate times, desperate measures, so get that - However, those hoping for a early Dec redux with any sort of blocking pattern that has dominance above circa 60N have a long (long!) wait ahead...

Matt. 

Any hope for later in February in your opinion?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Not a million miles away from something interesting at 120hrs . High over the pole slightly better placed for us probably won’t be enough to stop the onslaught though 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art, Accessories

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

this looks interesting

Could contain: Outdoors

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
42 minutes ago, MattH said:

Finally, in days, a realistic post. Those continuously using MJO phase 3 Feb anom plots and searching for a Scandinavian high are way off it and, oddly that includes some mets as well! - can't understand why MJO phase 3, in Jan(!) is being misused as a Feb phase 3 precursor for Scandinavian height rises and then filtered into a few rediculous GFS runs beyond 300hrs as a potential outlook with the way the strat is going and the overall GSDM profile too. 

I guess it is that point in the winter though, desperate times, desperate measures, so get that - However, those hoping for a early Dec redux with any sort of blocking pattern that has dominance above circa 60N have a long (long!) wait ahead...

Matt. 

A tag “ harsh matt- “ don’t ya think!? .. the maddens aren’t even having impacts on the A- momentum prognosis  right about now!.. and are a’ considered feature in prognosis into week 2! The 60n will it won’t it stabilise- or reverse then fold.. shouldn’t even cluster include, at a crossroad phase!!- the arctic shuffling annom,is in the same ballparks... as the AM- and supposedly “atm jet forcing “.... 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Scandi high incoming I reckon

Could contain: Art, Accessories, Modern Art

• Like 4

Posted

Anyway here The ecmwf @168 .. any guesses where the overiders are synced!!!🤔🤔 the structure pv inflation mode- can.. And IMO be overridden!!. Let’s see ay!!

4DCD11CA-990B-4D11-8859-FFEAA224186F.gif

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 minute ago, tight isobar said:

Anyway here The ecmwf @168 .. any guesses where the overiders are synced!!!🤔🤔 the structure pv inflation mode- can.. And IMO be overridden!!. Let’s see ay!!

4DCD11CA-990B-4D11-8859-FFEAA224186F.gif

It's still mid latitude though, and we'll see if it moves higher next time. I have my doubts, the UK high on most models now, is probably where we are heading.

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

It's still mid latitude though, and we'll see if it moves higher next time. I have my doubts, the UK high on most models now, is probably where we are heading.

Ya don’t need a HLB- for Scandinavian heighten formation!.. an- mlb- and a hp-cell in sync... are the order of the day. Again- some are gearing to hard for notable block formats.....when a rolling dynamics... will/ could load the gun!!

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Oh for just a bit more upstream amplitude . The ECM has some glancing blows of cold but frustratingly most of that remains across the North Sea .

• Like 3

Posted

So the ecm12z doesn’t quite cut the mustard! Via polar forces..but I’ll hang In-There 2/3 days yet 🤘🤘

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Well some of the ensemble members are certainly interesting from my perspective, cold zonality sort of pattern with screaming westerlies and the FL close to the surface in Highland Scotland! Could be epic for Glencoe and Nevis Range!

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Evening all 🙂

As I feared, last night's "signal" for height rises into Scandinavia is more muted and any such rises are quickly flattened by the strong northern arm of the jet.

As others have also mused, some of the other pieces of the jigsaw are just not there for the next fortnight.

That's a huge way from calling time on winter as a whole and while many on here aren't enthused about a cold mid to late February, we often see a colder interlude or interludes between the increasing warmer trend that marks the transition from winter to spring. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
21 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

ECM 12z was pretty tantalising but it seems MH has already seen the future so that is settled……😉

ABFEF0A2-3974-4A9C-8A32-057ACCA00F54.thumb.gif.a70f88eae2025b88efa7eb8b3bfd8e68.gif

This the actual chart from the same time

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors

Just goes to show how misleading anomaly charts are

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Poor ECM 850s if you want cold although some might involve cold surface conditions despite the 850s

Could contain: Bow, Weapon, Chart, Line Chart

Fortunately for me, I don't want cold now as I wanna get to some football matches next month and don't need the weather getting in the way

Edited by LRD
  • Like 1