Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - New Year and Beyond

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

The ops are more or less showing the same thing this morning with UKMO now on board with the more amplified pattern.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art, Outdoors, Nature

GEM has us under a slack ESE at day 10

Could contain: Art, Graphics, Outdoors, Accessories, Nature

ICON going the same way

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

GFS still has us under high pressure at day 10

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Plot, Chart

Edited by Gowon
wrong charts
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

GFS drops any notion of a block..

GEM kind of keeps the faith.

We need a good EC.

T192. Could suggest a few more gefs on board. Mean a slight improvement. Agreed op goes other way this morning. Nothing resolved. 

Could contain: Accessories, Ornament, Outdoors, Jewelry, Face, Person, Sea, Nature, Pattern, Gemstone

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, That ECM said:

T192. Could suggest a few more gefs on board. Mean a slight improvement. Agreed op goes other way this morning. Nothing resolved. 

Could contain: Accessories, Ornament, Outdoors, Jewelry, Face, Person, Sea, Nature, Pattern, Gemstone

As its quiet, any chance someone could give a laymans explanation of this chart, it baffles me! Obviously nothing to do with pressure ?

Posted
4 minutes ago, KTtom said:

As its quiet, any chance someone could give a laymans explanation of this chart, it baffles me! Obviously nothing to do with pressure ?

The lighter the shade means less certainty in that area I think 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted

ECM looks like it will be saying no to any developing high over scandi..too much energy going over the top!..also with no renewed push of heights in the atlantic a decent 216 chart looks highly unlikely!

Edited by Lukesluckybunch

Posted
Just now, Lukesluckybunch said:

ECM looks like it will be saying no to any developing high over scandi..too much energy going over the top!

There's a bit more energy over the top this morning. I think it'll be like the GEM

Posted
2 minutes ago, Gowon said:

There's a bit more energy over the top this morning. I think it'll be like the GEM

doesnt look great!.how about that absolute garbage at 216..lovely southwesterly!!

Edited by Lukesluckybunch
adding

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
9 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

doesnt look great!.how about that absolute garbage at 216..lovely southwesterly!!

T240 was not what you were expecting though I guess?  Don’t think 12z will look like this. Don’t think I’ve seen ecm produce anything like this before.

Could contain: Outdoors, Art, Accessories, Graphics, Modern Art, Nature, Pattern

• Like 2

Posted

There is still a willingness to ridge to Scandi, however, absolutely no chance of anything of interest here if the heights over Greenland are correct., if anything they are getting worse?

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature, Face, Person, Head

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 2

Posted

Led up the garden path by the joker model again have we? There’s a surprise!

Pretty disappointing morning all round - not even sure I see any promise in the UKMO as mentioned above?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just a general long time lurker on here, with the odd Post, I just think the models are all over the place, flipping around and nobody quite sure what to expect next.

I am hopeful that by this time next week there will be lots of hope in here ( for coldies) with something very interesting within scope for mid Feb.

• Like 5

Posted

The ECM sadly didn’t kick on from last nights more encouraging set up.

Because of the proximity of the PV you have to have that more elongated and digging south . The bowling ball PV and troughing means there’s no chance .

Ironically the UKMO showed a small interest just at the time the ECM jumps ship. Its day 7 looks more likely to evolve at least towards high pressure over the UK and the Arctic high is better positioned .

The ECM though is still far more preferable than the GFS which is dreadful.

It at least tries to dig some energy se at day ten and pressure still remains high to the ne .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 5

Posted

ECM ensembles not really showing any significant warming trend, the winds are slowly shifting direction over time and fairly focussed by day 14, I suggest high pressure may be showing again later. This mornings operational run at the warmer end of the runs. Interesting times with the current warming shifting things around.

Martin

• Like 3

Posted

Still vile output for coldies(myself included) but to no suprise really. Can't really see ATM,where a decent cold spell will spring from. Could be a long old end to winter looking at longer term sigs imo,coupled with the limpet Greenland PV.

Please, not a cold spring 🤬

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, joggs said:

Still vile output for coldies(myself included) but to no suprise really. Can't really see ATM,where a decent cold spell will spring from. Could be a long old end to winter looking at longer term sigs imo,coupled with the limpet Greenland PV.

Please, not a cold spring 🤬

Agreed.

Absolutely don't want a crappy cold and wet Spring.

Would dearly love an Eastetly before the end of Feb.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

You could at a push say anything past Feb 2 is a lottery.

graphe_ens3.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, That ECM said:

T240 was not what you were expecting though I guess?  Don’t think 12z will look like this. Don’t think I’ve seen ecm produce anything like this before.

Could contain: Outdoors, Art, Accessories, Graphics, Modern Art, Nature, Pattern

ECM 240 is the classic +NAO winter chart. Ridge western USA, trough eastern USA, big thermal gradient and supercharged jet stream powering across the UK. Yuck.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Could contain: Chart, Line Chart

It is also an unsettled outlier. There are runs still having pressure at 1040mb by day 10, so plenty of more amplified solutions still on offer.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

There may not be an Illusive Scandi high on the horizon, but there is no relentless wind and rain either......so watch this space in the next few days ,will be interesting. ...☺

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
18 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The ECM sadly didn’t kick on from last nights more encouraging set up.

Because of the proximity of the PV you have to have that more elongated and digging south . The bowling ball PV and troughing means there’s no chance .

Ironically the UKMO showed a small interest just at the time the ECM jumps ship. Its day 7 looks more likely to evolve at least towards high pressure over the UK and the Arctic high is better positioned .

The ECM though is still far more preferable than the GFS which is dreadful.

It at least tries to dig some energy se at day ten and pressure still remains high to the ne .

About sums it up this morning Nick.  A step back from GFS and ECM that pushes any thought of amplification out of the equation However , still a window of opportunity for a build NE of the high shown by UKMO at 168t  with possible end result of some kind of Scandinavian High development as shown by GEM  period 168-240t.   UKMO also has some significant cold air to the NE developing. So maybe not just yet the time to put the De-icer spray back into the hibernation secret cupboard.  We need to see GFS/ECM runs later today to move towards that development again. I think the models uncertain post 144t.

C

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

It is also an unsettled outlier. There are runs still having pressure at 1040mb by day 10, so plenty of more amplified solutions still on offer.

Got a bad feeling the PV is going to be too strong .

Hope I'm wrong.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Map

• Like 1

Posted
23 hours ago, IDO said:

Could contain: Chart, Line Chart, Smoke Pipe

3 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

This is ridiculous.

Its getting to the stage you might as well bin any ECM op runs from about 192hr onwards